Krypton Egg was a highly regarded Arkanoid clone for the Amiga and Atari ST that was developed by HitSoft and released by Rainbird in 1989. DotEmu has just released an iPhone port of this classic [link] through the App Store (published by Chillingo).
When Krypton Egg first hit the shelves back in 1989, French magazine PC Loisirs described it as the best breakout game in the world. As has been the trend of late, this Amiga classic translates well to the iPhone. We've played a lot of Arkanoid clones for the iPhone, and Krypton Egg is certainly one of the best. While the game has a retro feel--even beyond the typical Arkanoid clone--it should appeal to fans of the genre who aren't particularly looking for a jolt of dreamy-eyed nostalgia, as well.
Features as listed by the developer:
- 60 levels levels for hours of gameplay
- Unlock 12 special levels and defeat boss
- Play with the touch screen or with the accelerometer
- 30 power-ups including bonuses, penalties, special effect
- Continue your game from any level completed
- Addictive retro style music
Have a look at the developer's demonstration video.
App Store Link: Krypton Egg, $0.99