Paramount's Shooter game has been released to the App Store for only $0.99 [link].
Shooter is one of the first true 1st person shooters to be released on the iPhone and iPod Touch. As Gunnery Sergeant Bob Lee Swagger, you must clear your name after being accused of an assassination attempt on the President. Stealthy pursuit, a steady hand and nerves of steel will allow you to eliminate those responsible.
Features listed include:
- High Stakes Sniping Missions: Earn medals and rewards through the successful completion of missions and objectives while progressing through training sessions and six missions that feature multiple stages and challenging bosses.
- Large Arsenal of Guns, Weapons, Equipment and Camouflage - Choose from different sniper rifles, silencers, and scopes to take out your targets from long range or use pistols, grenades, and pipe bombs to take out your targets in close quarters combat. Dress to match your surroundings and to elude return fire.
- First Person Sniper Perspective - Use the accelerometer to zero in on your targets with your binoculars and scope. Distance and wind must also be factored into your shot.
- Nighttime Missions - Use night optics to target your enemy in a variety of challenging shooting conditions.
- Detailed Mission Environments - Execute missions in the deserts, cityscapes, forests, mountains and snow, each of which requires specialized skills.
- Mini-Games and Puzzles – Successfully complete these tasks to continue through the storyline.
Gameplay primarily involves the use of your iPhone as a sniper rifle. You point and aim through various missions in Story mode in which you must take out enemy targets. Controls involve, of course, tilt of the iPhone to target your scope, and the use of a "hold your breath" button on the left allows more precise aiming. First impressions of the game from our readers will be rolling into this discussion thread.
Some excellent first impressions already posted by forum member Carlos-Sz:
As soon as I started the game:
- Very polished interface (really) including a nice background music
- Options: Sound Vol / Vibration / Calibration / Invert Aim
- Interactive tutorial (includes spoken narrative)
- Two Modes: Story and Arcade (which is locked)
- In the main menu there's also a Medals item
Starting Story mode:
- Great mission presentation including spoken dialogs (that's a really nice touch)
- First you use binoculars to see where enemies are (take a good look): you have to align two red circles in order to find the right spot; once found you click fire (bottom right) to go to the sniper mode
- You tilt to aim (not so easy and it should not be in fact); wind is a factor to consider; hold your breath (bottom left button) to stabilize for some seconds; then shoot! You have also to reload which I found very nice
- Some enemies are easy to shoot but the last one was hidden... Well I don't want to spoil anything here; the fact is that targets are not always just standing there waiting for a shoot
- When they start to shoot back then you have to hurry up and find all of them (game gets interesting)
Conclusion so far:
I didn't even finish the first mission but I'm quite impressed with this game for only $0.99. Great production, graphics, sounds, background sounds, spoken dialogs, awesome user interface. It's really nice.
The only thing that annoys me a bit is the fact that the game has a "loading" time when you switch from the binoculars to the sniper.
A trailer of the game is provided here:
App Store Link: Shooter: The Official Movie Game, $0.99