There’s hype building publicity stunts, then there’s hype building publicity stunts. Pre-release excitement for Chair’s upcoming Infinity Blade 2 is already at an all time high, which apparently has left Chair’s PR department scratching their collective heads to come up with what else they could do to promote a game that’s already on cruise control for greatness.
I’m guessing this eureka moment coincided with late night fitness-centric infomercials, resulting in a promotion that’s so silly we couldn’t help but post about it. Anyway, Chair has partnered up with musclebound bro Nate Green who is known for The Hero Handbook, a free fitness-oriented self-help eBook. Nate (who can be seen above working out at the local playground) put together a list of exercises which should help prepare even the weakest of hands for Infinity Blade 2.
So, without further ado, we present to you, the unedited Infinity Blade 2 workout in its entirety:
1. Rubberband Splay: This is the reverse movement of gripping something. Train the reverse muscles in your hands and wrist to strengthen them.
Take a rubber band and place it around your thumb and fingertips. Touch all of your fingers together. Splay your fingers as far as you can stretch them and fight the resistance of the rubberband. Touch all of your fingers together again. That’s one rep. Do 20 on each hand.
2. Book Grip: Test your grip endurance. Can you hold for 20 seconds with just your index finger and thumb?
- Beginner: Grab two heavy books, hold them together, and grip them with your thumb and all of your fingers. Shoot for 20 seconds.
- Intermediate: Grip with your thumb and only your middle and ring finger. Shoot for 20 seconds.
- Hero: Grip with your thumb and index finger. Shoot for 20 seconds.
3. Quarter Toss: Improve your reflexes and hand-eye coordination.
Grab a quarter, lay your hand flat, and place it on your fingers. In one motion, flick your wrist, sending the quarter flying through the air. Grab the quarter mid-air quickly. That’s one rep. Perform 10 reps on each hand.
4. Sandbag or Tennis Ball Dynamic Grip: Strengthen the muscles in your hands, fingers and wrists.
Hold a hot pad (shown) or a tennis ball in your hand with an underhand grip. Squeeze as hard as you can and hold for 2 seconds. Release your grip and repeat. Go for 30 reps on each hand.
5. Wrist and Forearm Stretch: After all that hardcore hero finger training, stretch your muscles in your wrist and forearms before you play Infinity Blade 2.
Put your hand flat in front of you. Grab the fingers of that hand with your other hand and gently pull your fingers toward your body, keeping your arm straight. You should feel a pull in your forearm and wrist. Hold for 30 seconds. Do 1 set for each hand.
Neat, right — and all in the name of fun. Regardless if you’re into pumping up your fingers and hands, Infinity Blade 2 hits in the next couple of days at $6.99. If you haven’t yet, give our preview a look, and chat with fellow finger-working buddies in the Infinity Blade 2 forum thread.
Meanwhile, we’re putting the finishing touches on our review which will go live with the launch of the game. Spoilers: It’s awesome.