iPhone-toting crossword addicts now have a new way to feed their addiction. The official New York Times crossword puzzle game, The New York Times Crosswords Daily 2009 [App Store], has appeared in the App Store.
Developed my Magmic Games, New York Times Crosswords for the iPhone is a port of the developer’s mobile version. And while the mobile version is a subscription-based game ($2.99 per month), the iPhone version at $9.99 provides access to all daily (and archived) crossword puzzles published in the print newspaper through the end of 2009, making it a better value than the mobile version for avid crossword fans.
Features listed by the developer:
- Play the daily puzzle from the New York Times newspaper.
- Play over 4,000 classic puzzles from the New York Times archive.
- Send messages and compare your solve times with friends online.
- Compete against top players via the online leaderboards.
- Listen to the in-game soundtrack or your favorite tunes from your iPod.
- Write in ‘pen’ or ‘pencil’.
- Solve puzzles on the grid or directly from the clues list.
- Automatic highlighting of related clues.
- Check or reveal letters, words or the entire puzzle.
- Check out the front page of today’s paper.
App Store Link: The New York Times Crosswords Daily 2009, $9.99