Universal XCOM®: Enemy Unknown - (by 2K Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 19, 2013.

1. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Gah sorry for not going through the thread. Lots of pages. I'm getting ready to buy this since Chaos Rings 3 didn't go through. Just a few quick questions..

Final install size with the updates? And how do you think it will be with the controls when using an iphone 6? People have played it with the smaller devices so I'm thinking it should work okay but is it difficult without a tablet? I actually didn't like playing Banner Saga on my iphone 6 at all (wasn't optimized for the phone - very small interface buttons and selection).

And last question is that I enjoy these games and I play them a lot but since I mainly casually play on my phone (few times a week), I'd rather not get stuck on levels. Is there any settings to adjust the difficulty? I remember playing it when it first came out and I did okay however I often had to save mid game and reset because a few bad decisions left me with my best units murdered about 30 minutes into a level. Didn't want to lose everything I worked for especially since I don't play the game long enough to do hardcore strategizing and leveling.

Thanks for any replies!

2. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    2.96gb almost 3gb final install size.Played it when it came out on the 5, and on the 5s .i was just playing it a while ago on the 6 online multiplayer and single player still trying to beat Classic ironman lol. It's optimized for touch and controls very well. Yep there is a setting for difficulty and i think you can adjust it mid game

3. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    Thanks a lot Ed! Weird I saw so old comments on the game saying it was 3.2gb. Did it shrink?

Look at this pro... Iron man mode haha. I don't think I'd ever touch that. I remember when i first played I named my characters after action movie stars. Bruce Willis was the one to die first :(

4. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    One of the updates reduzed the installed size in 200MB approx.

5. Edmilan

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    I really love this game, it sits right on top of my list along with MHFU and TWEWY. And re Ironman mode, i've been trying to beat it since late 2012 lol. I already have around 40ish attempts (and fails), maybe even a lot more

6. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    #1686 L.Lawliet, Oct 18, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
    Thanks for the replies guys! It's downloading now (and been installing for the past 30 minutes lol). Saving 200 mb is always welcome.

@ed: Dang. And you haven't given up? Does it play nice on the iphone 6? I imagine the psuedo tablet iphone 6+ will be better if there's tiny buttons to press. Btw, i like your taste in games. Those are my top 2 iphone ports - I guess we think alike :)

Edit:

Wow. Amazing on the iphone! Only issue is that it drains battery like CRAZY. I had this game playing while plugged into my laptop the entire time. Stopped playing after an hour or so and then saw my battery was at 80%! That's NEVER happened to me before. No matter what game I play while charging on my laptop, my device has always been at 100%. This shows that the game was burning battery like crazy. Looks like I won't be able to play on the go too often :\

7. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    Hey just wondering does anyone remember how to access the elite soldier pack dlc in this game? How do you get the armor?

8. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    If anybody here wants to play online add me.. Luciano1084 on gamecenter

9. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #1689 Vovin, Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2014

Yeah, and that's totally crazy if you compare the battery usage time of the iP6 between MHFU and X-COM. While both are graphically advanced, MHFU only takes the half of X-COM's power usage. I can play MHFU for 5 hrs on my iP6, with X-COM, the battery lasts around 2,5 - 3 hrs. That is the most power demanding game I've played on an iDevice. Even Order & Chaos with constant wifi and power-hungry engine is lasting for around 4 hours, give or take a few minutes.
    So, either X-COM is able to use the whole CPU/GPU power of an iP6 or it is poorly optimized.

10. Edmilan

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    Added

11. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    There was no dlc pack in the iOS version AFAIK.

12. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    That's weird. If you type in the elite soldier pack for iOS version on google, there are piles of articles saying that's included. So that was misinformation? Pretty much every iOS article that says elite pack in it says it's in the game.

Yeah I wish it could be fixed. It's funny to think that this game will kill my iphone even when it's on the charger :O I'm too afraid to even play this if I'm not at home with my laptop charge. That's pretty much the only downside to this game, and sadly it's kind of big just because it limits your play time.

13. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I found this:

Just keep in mind that the iPad version will not include any of XCOM’s currently released DLC. That means iPad users will miss the potent Second Wave patch, which dramatically enhances gameplay. They’ll also miss the Slingshot pack and the Elite Soldier pack.

Taken from: http://m.nydailynews.com/entertainment/system-update-closer-ios-version-xcom-enemy-unknown-article-1.1359611

What I do remember is that second wave was included in an update, where you got to choose different options (if I remember well, it was a long time since I last played) such as extreme difficulty, reduced economics, etc. Depending on the difficulty level on which you finished the first wave, you got more or less options for the second wave. Here's the article:

http://toucharcade.com/2013/08/02/new-xcom-enemy-unknown-update-adds-second-wave-content-and-numerous-fixes/

14. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Bought this today,having fun but oh my word do I suck at it. I actually feel sorry for my people.

15. Edmilan

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    Online play is the way to go :)

16. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011

Interesting find. So that means iphone version has it? I noticed it keeps emphasizing the ipad version.

17. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    It's universal, but on iPhone the text looks tiny tiny. That's why they only talk about iPad.

18. Edmilan

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    Personally, i think it looks ok on the iPhone. I finished this game before on my iPhone 5. On the 5s, i did a LOT of attempts on Classic Ironman and did a lot of multiplayer. Text size was ok to me but i think that's subjective

19. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Is Xcom:EW meant as a replacement for EU? The game seems to be unavailable in the US appstore.

20. stlredbird

stlredbird Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    Yes.