GameClub Toki Tori (by TwoTribes)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by VoodooVyper, May 21, 2009.

1. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    video is coming

arn

2. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    The game is worth it. Everything is running smoothly, and the presentation is great. The only gripe I have is that an option for D-Pad movement wasn't included. The controls for moving feel odd to me, they work ok I guess, but I just prefer a Dpad for moving. Maybe I just need to get used to them more.

3. Kartel

Kartel Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    Definately wish there were a d-pad to move instead of this start and stop touch mechanic.

4. VoodooVyper

VoodooVyper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Albie, are you going to write a review for this one?

5. pharmx

pharmx Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    of course he is :D

6. freedog

Mar 11, 2009
    ok now I'm convinced that a D-PAD option should have been included. The game requires precise movement( mostly to avoid falling off ledges and getting stuck or killed) he way it is designed now, you have to tap on the screen to where you want to go and then you move there(if possible). The problem is that you have to tap precisely the right spot on the screen much of the time, and a wide finger or tapping a little too much on the right or left causes you ro screw up or fall off a ledge. A D-Pad would be the only solution to prevent this and allow more precise stopping and moving, just like in the older Toki Tori games.

7. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    I'll have a review shortly.

8. arn

arn Administrator

Apr 19, 2008
    I don't agree with this. I haven't had much trouble with accuracy with this system. I think d-pads are more prone to error than tapping on your destination.

arn

9. russiaone

russiaone Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Pimp
    San Francisco

Looks like they ported this from the Wii, with the Wii controls intact. Hmm... Gonna pass on this one.

10. freedog

Mar 11, 2009
    You can adjust to the precise spot you want to stop at by holding your finger and dragging slightly to the spot, but it feels like a distraction somewhat, like you are putting too much of your focus and time on getting to the precise spot you want to go to.

11. freedog

Mar 11, 2009
    Actually the wii version used the analog stick to move which worked well just like a dpad

12. Stoney Mason

Stoney Mason Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Roughly agree. And especially virtual-dpads which are even more inaccurate. I'm not having any problem so far tapping to a spot although perhaps they could add an update for those that prefer a virtual control system.

13. freedog

Mar 11, 2009
    I just think the touch to go thing slows down the game and isn't good for precise movement. Wide fingers will cause you to not go exactly where you need to, and dragging right and left to get to the exact spot takes up time.

14. arn

arn Administrator

Apr 19, 2008
  15. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    #75 Big Albie, May 22, 2009
    Last edited: May 22, 2009
    Review: Toki Tori is one really good egg

Watching the game trailer and reading the pre-release hype, my expectations were minimal when it came to Toki Tori. How fun could it be to move a bird around a screen collecting eggs? After spending some time with this, Toki Tori is not only a solid game, it delivers high entertainment value worth every cent.

Toki Tori is not a traditional platformer which is actually a good thing. This is an elaborate puzzle game where your objective is to collect all the eggs in each level before you’re allowed to progress to the next level. The game has four worlds with 80 levels: Forest Falls, Creepy Castle, Slimy Sewer, and Bubble Barrage. With the exception of the first level in Forest Falls, all the worlds are locked.

Visually, Toki Tori looks great from the animation and smooth framerates to the jovial soundtrack. One thing that caught me off guard initially is that there are no instructions with only a barebones menu included. However, you do receive occasional pop-up dialog windows at the beginning of some levels that provide a quick tutorial. It’s not ideal, but not a big deal either.

The controls are easy and intuitive (two words I like when describing controls):
    * Tap where you want Toki to go (arrows appear to show the direction Toki can move)
    * To pan, use two fingers and drag the screen
    * Pinch to zoom in and out (provides a nice overview of the map and freezes the action)
    * Use tilt to turn Toki in the desired direction (you don’t have to use this or set anything; this is part of Toki’s abilities)

An additional control scheme may something to consider since people with bigger fingers may have trouble with tapping to move. Some areas are small, and while I didn’t have any issues, I can see it being one for others. Also, when you pan to a certain location, it will automatically return to the original spot of Toki after a few seconds. What would be ideal is if this were more of a manual process where you had the control to move it back especially if you’re considering your next move.

Toki is not a completely unarmed bird and by progressing through levels, tools/items are provided. These tools are the following:

Bridge—build a path across gaps
    Telewarp—transport from one location to another
    Freeze-o-matic—turns enemies into ice cubes
    Brick Switch—move stacks of bricks
    Ghost Trap—creates a hole that ghosts drop through
    Slug Sucker—removes slugs by sucking them up
    Instant Rock—becomes an extra step or fills gaps
    Bubble Suit—allows Toki to swim underwater

Also, a Wildcard is available which allows for skipping a level. I didn’t have any idea what this was initially, but you only have one to use at a time. And, additional Wildcards are only given when you complete the level that was previously skipped. This is a nice option because some of these levels can be challenging, and it helps to step away for a little while.

Toki will come across various obstacles that potentially can trap him, and a straight line is hardly ever the right path to take. Also, each world has its own resident enemy.

Porcupine—Forest Falls
    Ghost—Creepy Castle
    Slug—Slimy Sewer
    Fish—Bubble Barrage

An intro appears before each level that shows the # of eggs to be collected and the available tools. When a number appears by a tool, this signifies a limited number of uses. Without a number means unlimited usage in that level. On the gameplay screen, you have various gauges to track. In the upper right-hand corner is the egg count showing the remaining number of eggs to be collected. And an Item Bar, which shows items/tools that can be used for that level. Under Options, you can set this bar to either appear down the left or right side of the screen. To use these tools, you tap on them and follow the on-screen prompt.

The game is simply a lot of fun, and you will find yourself stumped on some levels. There are moments in the game when Toki is idle, and he will whip out a map or grow a beard waiting for you next move, so there’s a nice dose of humor. The gameplay is smooth, polished, and really well thought out. If Toki touches an enemy, the level is automatically over, and if you get stuck, you can always restart the level. Keep in mind that falling doesn’t harm Toki since he is a bird, and he’ll simply glide downwards. I have had no issues with the controls in moving or climbing, and for me, they are spot on. There is essentially no learning curve, and you should be able to pick this up and play right away.

Beyond some of the minor issues with the skimpy menu and other cosmetic items, Toki Tori is a solid game—there’s no other way to put it. If you like puzzles with a simple, yet challenging objective, you can’t go wrong with this.

Albie Meter: 5 Stars (recommended for people who like puzzles and want a game that looks good; this game is done well)

16. arn

arn Administrator

Apr 19, 2008
  17. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    I love puzzle games so just downloaded this to my Touch. Now if I had TIME to play it :(

18. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    This game is great and I highly recommend it.

19. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Should I get this or stick with Archibald's Adventure?

20. lcwz

lcwz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Albie meter changed from 4.5 to 5 stars :eek:. I'm going to have to check this out.