iPhone Ticket to Ride - (by the devs of 'Small World for iPad')

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, May 17, 2011.

1. Bad Hanson

Bad Hanson Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Somnambulist
    The Westcountry UK
    Great game. Enjoying it immensely. Don't think it has asynchronous MP though ep.

2. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    No, it doesn't have asynchronous multiplayer, but I really think that makes sense for this game for two reasons. First, this is a fast paced game that when slowed down is just not as enjoyable and second, Days of Wonder already has the servers in place and a dedicated online player base, that this version taps into, ensuring that getting into live online games will never be an issue. I'm not saying I wouldn't mind seeing it added, but on the other hand this game is far more enjoyable to me when it's played quickly, so for me having such a superb live game system is more important. The lobby system is excellent and sets the bar for other iOS games.

On a similar note, and while I love Carcassonne too, I really hope they add something like this lobby system to their app. The ability to play 3, 4 and 5 (and eventually 6) player games of Carcassonne live... that would be to die for.

3. caltab

caltab Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2010
    I'm surprised this game hasn't hit the front page, they cover every update of carcassone and I really think this rivals that. It is doing well in the app store. I haven't seen any coverage for it on any of the big iOS sites.

4. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Lots of releases this week. Give them some time. Pretty sure someone will cover it soon enough :)

5. cherdman

cherdman Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2010
  6. Wasgo

Wasgo Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2010
    Yes, but they could have at least added local multi-player, even if it required multiple devices. When I go camping, I'm going to be able to play Scrabble and Carcassonne, but not this. You can't presume that your usage scenarios are the same as everyone else's.

7. TheDukester

TheDukester Well-Known Member

If you've got multiple devices, just start a game with your friend(s) using GameCenter or the DoW servers. It will be exactly the same experience.

8. cherdman

cherdman Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2010
    Decided to pick this up (plus expansions.) Asynchronous MP and local pass and play would most definitely work for this one. Oh and the voices have to go. Otherwise, great game.

9. Leadfoot5

Leadfoot5 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Yes, agreed, the voices HAVE to go!!!

10. DavidGQ

DavidGQ Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2009
    After watching the video, I bought it. Will play tonight.

11. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Agreed!

12. aggiedeals

aggiedeals Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Oh My. Best board game ever. Insta-buy!!!

13. Wasgo

Wasgo Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2010
    No, it isn't. I can't connect to either GameCenter or the DoW servers without Internet access. That's a huge difference.

14. ASFx

ASFx Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    #115 ASFx, May 20, 2011
    Last edited: May 20, 2011
    Great game, but the thing that really breaks the experience for me is the lack of asynchronous multiplayer.

My friend and I play several games of Carcassonne on our iPads each week during our free time, but we rarely have a chance to sit and play a game from start to finish. This means we won't be playing many games of Ticket to Ride until asynchronous multiplayer is added.

And no pass & play.... WHY?

15. TheDukester

Asynch would be ridiculous for this game, which features hundreds of little "draw two card" actions per game. You really want to wait around for ...

every ...

single ...

one ...

of those ...

to happen?

And I wouldn't hold your breath, BTW. DoW is on record saying it ain't gonna happen:

"We think there are just too many micro-turns (ie I draw 2 cards, Next!) in the game for this to make sense."

That's Eric Hautemont of DoW, dismissing asynch earlier today at BGG.

16. ASFx

ASFx Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    #117 ASFx, May 20, 2011
    Last edited: May 20, 2011
    It doesn't matter what you do during your turn. They can simply enable asynchronous gameplay to allow players to take their turns when they want to. Simple and easy. They can add a simple checkbox where you allow or disallow asynchronous gameplay when you create the game. Sure most people would not use that option, but it would be very useful for some people as well.

17. TheDukester

Um ... yes. I'm familiar with the concept.

I wasn't talking about anyone's turn; that's the easy part. It's the everyone-waiting-around-for-no-good-reason-and-taking-six-weeks-to-play-a-30-minute-game thing that's going to be difficult to solve.

Actually, it's not going to matter. Monkeys will fly right out of my nether regions before DoW does asynch for this game. Even if it was a decent idea (which it's not), they'd still want everyone to play in real time on their servers.

18. ASFx

ASFx Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Your argument makes no sense. Asynchronous gameplay exists for Carcassonne, which consists of placing a single tile on the board. It exists for chess, which consists of moving a single piece each turn. It exists for many other games as well.

If someone intentionally creates a game with the asynchronous option turned on, then obviously they are expecting delays between turns, and obviously this would not be the norm for most games. It would be very useful for people with situations like mine, which I already explained a few posts above.

19. TheDukester

I'll just assume you've never played TtR and leave it at that.

Beyond which, none of this discussion really matters. That's like the Big Cheese of DoW I quoted earlier, saying, in effect: "Not gonna happen."