Universal Super Happy Fun Block (by Molten Tomato)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Molten Tomato, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Molten Tomato

Molten Tomato Active Member

Aug 6, 2015
    California
    Thanks for the honesty - I'm glad you clicked the link and hope you enjoy the game! I've been surprised how responsive people have been to the name. I expected some people would have trouble remembering it, but I had no idea how off-putting it would be for some! It's been suggested to me recently that the name combined with being on iOS makes it sound like a match-3 game.

Fun fact: for quite a while during development, the name of the game was "Super Happy Fun Block Extravaganza - Episode 1: The Ballad of Ball."

2. raravan

raravan Well-Known Member

May 18, 2014
  3. snoopie

snoopie Member

Mar 12, 2015
    Awesome! One of the best puzzle games ever
    Cool levels, nice and cute graphics
    Secret levels!

4. raravan

May 18, 2014
    100% agree with you, mate.
    really impressive stuff here!

5. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    I had , as Cloudpuff mentioned, passed this one by upon release just based on the name. It's not that I don't like the name, it just didn't grab my attention.

That said, reading this thread and seeing my friend post on Twitter about it made me realize I made a mistake.

Downloading now.

6. rIcHrAnDoM

Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Ha ha, best scene in an iOS game for quite some time! Love this game..

Attached Files:

7. Molten Tomato

Aug 6, 2015
    California
    Thanks, I'm glad you like it! As a tip - you can get some bonus dialogue out of that guy if you return to the village (through the MAP) from Industrial City before you've collected 15 stars. You get some bonus dialogue out of everybody, but his is probably the best :)

8. Tankpuz

Tankpuz Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2015
    I bought it, i really like the controls it's something i wasnt saw before in a game so the is really creative way to play

9. thas-studios

thas-studios Active Member
    Patreon Indie

Apr 2, 2012
    Developer
    Denmark, Europe
    Very well done, fun and captivating :)

10. snoopie

snoopie Member

Mar 12, 2015
    Anybody made 100%?
    I have two mystery levels left which are sick
    And also looks like there is secret in village, but no way to get there yet (after solving mystery?)

Also devs: will there be more levels? Please-please!!!

11. Molten Tomato

Aug 6, 2015
    California
    Thank you all for your feedback and support! Hearing how much you all enjoy the game means everything to me :)

I'd love to do more levels! Here are the current plans I have for the game (in no particular order):
    1. Add a new world to the game! For new players, this world would be accessible BEFORE the Laboratory and have a new color mechanic. Completing it will unlock a third possible ending.
    2. Level Editor so you can make your own puzzles! I built an in-game level editor that I used to design every level in the game. It's a little unstable and not very intuitive. I really want to polish it up and allow the sharing/loading of levels through twitter.
    3. More secrets! Which actually hits upon this a little:

There is not currently a secret in the village. It's just set up so that in a future update one can be added ;)

I'll be sure to post updates here as they become available. Currently, I'm mostly working on marketing and porting the game (Android, you're next!).

In the meantime, here's some art I did for promotional purposes that you might like!
    [​IMG]

12. raravan

May 18, 2014
    waiting mode: on.

13. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

[​IMG]

[thread=271130][​IMG][/thread] [thread=271130][​IMG][/thread] [thread=270976][​IMG][/thread] [thread=271140][​IMG][/thread] [thread=271069][​IMG][/thread]

Super Happy Fun Block

[​IMG]

is one of the nominees for

Touch Arcade Forums' Game Of The Week

Sept 17th, 2015

VOTE HERE

***PLEASE NOTE***

1) Developers, publishing partners, or affiliates cannot vote for their own games. If your game is in the poll, you can't vote for it. You are free to ask TA forum posters in your game release thread to vote for your game... but please don't post multiple messages about it.
    2) This voting is for TA members with some activity. If you have to ask someone to create a new account to vote, you're doing it wrong.
    3) Suspect votes may be void.

Credit to AndyC83 for GotW logo & post layout

14. Molten Tomato

Aug 6, 2015
    California
    Thanks for your support!

Thanks to everyone who voted for Super Happy Fun Block as "Game of the Week"!

It didn't win, but it was a very close second - pretty impressive for a game that didn't even get covered by Touch Arcade!

15. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    This game is crazy fun. Never seen controls and gameplay like this before. Swiping to change the blocks adds a. Really cool gameplay effect. Can't put down . Def worth the money

16. Peterplodocus

Peterplodocus Active Member

Sep 23, 2015
    Really enjoying this game! Only played a few levels but it's obvious a lot of care and attention has gone into every detail, right down to the animations and facial expressions of all the characters.
    It reminds me of the classic platform games I used to play on my Mega Drive!
    I'm finding the controls a bit fiddly but at the moment the game is quite forgiving and allows multiple attempts at puzzles and levels

17. Molten Tomato

Aug 6, 2015
    California
    Thanks Peterplodocus! I'm glad you're liking the game. I'm sorry you're having trouble with the controls. Any specific problems with them I can address in an update? I think for some people they take a little more getting used to than for others.

News update:
    A mini-content update is currently in the works! "The Town Update" will add a few new puzzles and secrets. That's all I have to say about it for now, I'll post an update with an ETA when I have one. It's being worked on in parallel to the Android port.

A small update went out earlier this week tweaking some controls and puzzles. If you would all re-review the game on the app store, it'd be a great help to me! Tweeting about the game, sharing it on Facebook, or writing to review sites (including Touch Arcade!) about it is also a great way to support the game and I'd be eternally grateful. Thanks everybody!

18. Peterplodocus

Peterplodocus Active Member

Sep 23, 2015
    Think it's just a case of getting used to the controls, or I'm just rubbish at the game :)
    It's the jump mechanic I'm still getting used to, especially when I have to jump and change the world colour in quick succession.
    The restart points are well placed though and allow me to have multiple goes at it so it doesn't detract from the gameplay at all

19. Molten Tomato

Aug 6, 2015
    California
  20. rIcHrAnDoM

Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    I say: don't miss this great game... On sale; no reason not to pick it up. Surprisingly good!