Universal Strike Team Hydra (by Wave Light Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Nullzone, Aug 7, 2017.

1. WaveLightGames

WaveLightGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks ... I'm really much happier with this game at launch than either of my earlier games.

2. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    No ... really terrible news actually. Worst possible time but that's life for you.

3. Bucusse

Bucusse Member

Nov 18, 2016
    Barcelona
    Are the character animations as stiff and unnatural as in DR1 and DR2?
    Graphics, bland color palet and bad character animations turned me down on DR2 right from the start.

4. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    #44 WaveLightGames, Aug 7, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    I think animations are very good. The animation system is new. You can see examples of the animations in the app preview.

There's a link to that video here:

http://toucharcade.com/2017/08/07/strike-team-hydra-the-tactical-rpg-from-the-maker-of-the-demons-rise-games-is-out-now/http://toucharcade.com/2017/08/07/strike-team-hydra-the-tactical-rpg-from-the-maker-of-the-demons-rise-games-is-out-now/

5. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Nice one thanks, just realised I've got Demons Rise 2 on my device which I've never played so I'll give that a do first and if I like that I guess I'll probably like this.

6. Bucusse

Bucusse Member

Nov 18, 2016
    Barcelona
    Thanks! Animations do look much more fluid. Tactical rpg is my fav genre so I'll dowload this right now

7. Avaniar

Avaniar Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2016
    Arrrgh this would be an instabuy for me, ut when i press buy and try to add a new credit card apple won't let me because i added too many cards (that's virtual card life for you...), so now i need to wait a week to get it. Oh well, gives me more time with DR1/2 before i get into this :)

8. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    #48 ramzarules, Aug 7, 2017
    well, played some more.
    Now, this is coming from one of your biggest fans since Demon's Rise wasn't even released.
    And you have my deepest sympathy for whatever bad news life has delivered you.

But i am just not enjoying this game because of the action points.
    Moving one or two squares like a turtle each turn -even with highly mobile units like the blader- in order to be able to attack once or use an ability, is just NOT fun for me.
    At least can you give us double the action points with this existing system?
    DR 1 and 2 are much more enjoyable because you can actually move and set up tactical positions and attack, unlike here.

I see that other peaople seconded the action points system, so i know it's not just me.
    Please give it some thought. But if you reply that this is a hardcore game and it's not meant to be easy etc, that's respected also -it just means i will have to accept the game as it is and play DR instead.

9. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Really sorry to hear that. Full sympathy from me too. Whatever it is, all my best wishes to you and your family!

10. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #50 Nullzone, Aug 7, 2017
    @orangecan: Seconding what Wavelight wrote already. If it's similar enough to DR1/2, I find the Normal difficulty on about the same level as XCOM. Only you have way more different soldiers to choose from, with lots of different skills and synergies. So, definitely more complex than XCOM in my book. On the plus side, the missions should be shorter than in XCom (they were in the DRs), e.g. no slogging through a giant spaceship for hours for just one mission.

@Wavelight:
    I get your point about not wanting to make major changes to the AP system in this game.
    Only ... there is a difference between difficult/complex and overcomplicated.
    The current AP system itself is fine, but it needs you to do a lot of headmath to keep things going smoothly even at normal level of play.
    The "move or shoot" decisions are tactically interesting, and add a lot compared to DR (where it turned into a skillspam fest pretty quick - fun too, but completely different gameplay). For example, on mission 2 I dug my Missile guy in with his "don't move for 4 turns, but shoot a lot better and farther" skill and kept him blasting away at the baddies while the rest moved around. Heck, I even moved the wounded Sniper back behind the lines and into cover behind a wall, so the Medic could safely patch her up again - almost never did stuff like this in DR. So, if things stay like this, big plus in my book.

Back on track: Maybe keep it in mind for a future game, to make the system less headmath-complicated but still complex?
    The difference between e.g. move costing 1 and costing 5, and then a skill costing 2 or 9 is the amount of stuff I need to juggle in my head. Plus, human brains aren't built to easily grasp numbers above 10 (amount of fingers, oh coincidence ;)) . I can dig up the research on that, if it helps convincing you to use smaller numbers for the same system in your next game.

Same goes for the shop prices, by the way: Those are escalating up really hard, I saw items upwards of 40k already. Smaller price numbers would make things easier, without affecting the general complexity of the item system.
    Just like with AP, start with 1 Credit for the smallest item, and work your way up from there? (current minimum price is several hundred, I think)
    Oh, and you call the currency Credits in game text (shop help I think it was), but Gold in the Shop interface ;)

Speaking of the Medic:
    My problem with her looking like a regular soldier is that I need to actively pay attention where she is. If she had something that identifies her as easily as, say, the Blader's black clothing or the Cannon's unique shape, that would go a long way. Instead of a medpack a big red cross or an Aesculap Staff on her armor, maybe? Anything that makes her easily and immediately identifiable visually would be a great help.

11. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    As I said, it won't change since it would be a huge change. What you're not understanding is that unlike DR series, your characters get a lot of extra action points when they level up. Therefore, you will be able to move and shoot more easily after a single level up. By level 4 or 5 most characters can run long distances and still shoot or perform special abilities. This is by design.

You are supposed to move cautiously and methodically with low level characters at the early stages of the game.

If you're not willing to do that ... that's fine. Feel free to request a refund from Apple. I can't initiate it from my side ... The process is managed by them.

12. saveria201

saveria201 Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 7, 2017
    teacher/translator
    Japan
    this looks really good. im up for something on the deep and challenging side. will be purchasing and playing in a couple days, once my vacation starts :)

13. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    Aha, didnt know that the Aps increase with level. i will stick with it some more and see then.
    Also, i'd not request a refund from you. I refund only special cases of $&@7 that screw their customers over, and you are the farthest from that.

14. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    #54 WaveLightGames, Aug 7, 2017
    Yeah, the game is definitely not a sci-fi resin of demon's rise. The action point system means your characters can take up a good position and shoot repeatedly while another uses all her points to move to a flanking position but not shoot that turn. Cover bonuses are much higher so shooting at an enemy in cover is often a bad idea ... so it is usually better to spend a turn running to a flanking position. You don't need to be shooting every turn.

Suppression rules also make a huge impact. I would check out the rules for it and think about the impact. It's really significant and not found in any other game that I know of.

I'll keep that in mind for the next game. Will see how it goes. Something you might find useful is adding the command to your team. She can allocate action points to other team members so you can do some cool tactical things.

I'm okay with the big numbers. I changed the formula to make high end items more expensive intentionally.

Thats not a bad idea. I'll take a look and see if I can add some kind of med pack with a clearly distinguishable red cross or something. I hadn't thought about it from a visual distinction perspective before.

15. titivivi

titivivi Active Member

Nov 20, 2015
    How do we unlock new ability for our soldier ?
    And how do you do suppressing fire or overwatch ?!
    Thanks

16. Tychaeus

Tychaeus Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2015
    ^this

17. ttcool

ttcool Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2016
    Another killer game!!! It was instantly since loved your DR series. Just played about 10 mins during lunch and like it a lot.

I know your not willing to change the AP system and I'm not asking that, but can you have 2 different colors meaning the green highlighted spaces could represent move + shoot and beyond the green let's say gray or red color to mean only move and not shoot, so this way we don't have to keep clicking on different spaces to see if we can move and shoot, or just move. Just like SteamWord Heist where the first movements in green area means you can move up to certain point and shoot, or you can move further away but can't shoot. This way you keep the AP system in place but show the gamer where the characters can move and shoot, this will save me a lot of time and not have to keep clicking on different spaces to figure where to move and shoot. Thanks and great JOB!

18. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
  19. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    That's a really good idea, actually. Should be do-able. I'll look into that. Right now, when you click on a tile, a window pops up that tells you the AP cost to move there and the number of attacks you will have after you have made that move. So if you click a tile that won't allow you to attack, it will show a target icon x 0. I'll try to take a screen shot to explain it better.

20. ttcool

ttcool Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2016
    I know what you are talking about, and that's what I've been doing to plan out where to place the character, but looks like I'm doing that for all the characters when I need to move them. Thanks for taking my suggestion for different color which I think that will save a lot of time when planning out where to place the character. Keep up the great work! Thanks :)