Universal SteamWorld Heist (By Image & Form)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Nov 10, 2016.

1. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I was debating between the 3ds or iOS. The game works so well with touch screen and can't imagine playing it withlitt the touch controls!

2. brjann

brjann Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Thanks a lot! Yeah, a broad answer here for everyone: there are quite many requests here in the forum for our DLC "The Outsider" and iCloud save, and some requests also for pinch-to-zoom. The first two ones hinge mainly on our continuously desperate production schedule (yep, we have something new in the works) and technical issues... our DLC would require you to restart the game (which Apple doesn't allow) unless we rewrite it completely. iCloud save is certainly doable, requires rigorous testing and our people are overloaded as it is (see above). Pinch-to-zoom is mainly a performance issue - there are SO many lighting and particle effects going on in all areas all the time; it's pure wizardry on our programmers' part and our proprietary engine that gives the game the great frame rate it has. Zooming out to show 2x of the standard breadth would show 4x more pixels. We tested it briefly and were worried that people would mind the drop in frame rate if it's an established feature of the game, in other words, it could potentially irritate rather than please the players.

3. Exuare

Exuare Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016
    One question about the iCloud save. Maybe do something like Crashlands? Create SW:H account --> Login --> upload save --> choose to play from local or cloud save. (Not saying that IS easy by the way... haha)

4. SherlockEB

SherlockEB Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 22, 2013
    I'm barely starting the game and playing in veteran difficulty, even earlier levels are a challenge :D
    And I love Gat's Orbit House, it has the best jukebox ever.:cool:

5. nkarafo

nkarafo Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Frame rate is important thing to video games, so I believe that sacrificing zoom in / out to frame rate, is better.

6. raravan

raravan Well-Known Member

May 18, 2014
    i don't get it. DLC will come out or not?

7. brjann

brjann Member

Feb 23, 2011
    If we can get it to work in another way than it does today, yes. We can't release it as it is, and we _have to_ concentrate on other things in the near future: "The first two ones hinge mainly on our continuously desperate production schedule (yep, we have something new in the works) and technical issues... our DLC would require you to restart the game (which Apple doesn't allow) unless we rewrite it completely."

8. Exuare

Exuare Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016
    As far as I'm reading it correctly... nope

Edit: Never mind :)

9. raravan

raravan Well-Known Member

May 18, 2014
    Brjann, i love you.

10. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Interesting. I've never heard that as an Apple restriction. I've seen a few other games do similar things that required restarts, most recently Junk Jack where the updated build was incompatible for all existing worlds and characters, some of which people had been creating for years. Surprisingly there wasn't any real backlash from players about this, most everyone seemed to be happy with the better content and didn't mind starting all over. http://toucharcade.com/2016/11/04/junk-jack-x-version-3-0-update/

11. Aerys

Aerys Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2014
    Which characters and weapons did you use to defeat The Queen?

12. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Although it's far from ideal, iTunes file transfer could help transferring the savegame from one device to another while you test iCloud saves.

13. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I can't help but feel that all these boss names are spoilers :\

14. Exuare

Exuare Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016
    I totally agree

15. HEAVY

HEAVY Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I like the challenge but don't really like how you literally lose half of your money if you get
    Wiped out in a mission... bit steep of a punishment if you ask me. I think games should be challenging but you should never be scared to lose. If you run out of money and lose a mission do you overdraft on your account? #

16. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Perhaps that was different because it wasn't DLC? Hopefully they can make it work by adding separate save slots for the DLC or something. Plenty of other games have alternative modes unlocked by IAP.

17. brjann

brjann Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Actually, you're safe :) the game rounds any numbers in your favor, so if you have 1 gallon of water left you'll keep it. Similarly, 50% of 0 is luckily also 0, so you don't overdraft. Although my brain can't help but wonder how cool that would've been:

"What is the robot mafia doing on board our ship!?"
    "So, Piper... you overdrafted your account, and the Big Cheese ain't too happy 'bout it... he wants his gallons back... if I were you, I'd procure those gallons, like, yesterday... or robots may be hurt in the process... and that'd be a shame if that happened, don't you agree?"
    (And being chased by the robomob throughout space becomes a side game mechanism.)

18. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I really wish I had a huge inventory so I could keep 1 of every gun. Some of these guns have fun effects while others have hilarious descriptions. Same for some sell-only items. This is actually one of my favorite "RPG-ish" features of the game, collecting rare / different loot. If there's ever another game, I think randomizing some loot values and skills would be great for increasing replayability by a lot so people could try and get awesome weapons at every run.

19. ZorakZoran

ZorakZoran Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2010
    France
    I paused playing, in hope iCloud will allow me to play on my ipad. Can't wait to get back to it, meanwhile it's Neon Chrome all day long. :)

20. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    #240 ColeDaddy, Nov 24, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
    I accidentally pressed "guard" twice against the Vectron leader and got one of my guys killed. As a result, I only have 39/40 reputation stars. Does one need all 40 to access the following:Mysterious Alien Ship (the bottom level has two doors that are locked)
    Hat stores have a locked entry to the bottom

Edit: okay... Now I have all 40 rep stars but there are still areas that are locked up.. How do I open these areas?