Space Miner: Platinum Edition (by Venan Entertainment) [TA 2010 GotY]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Venan, Feb 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. russiaone

russiaone Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Pimp
    San Francisco
    A very special game this is. It's hilarious. FUN. It's just polished to a sheen. In fact, I'd go so far as to say if I went back to play and discovered the whole game lasted only an hour it'd still be worth the 4.99.

DEVS, DO NOT MAKE ONE-HOUR GAMES, THOUGH!

9.5/10

2. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

#62 jak56, Feb 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2010
  3. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #63 Vovin, Feb 6, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
    My rating for Space Miner: 9.6 / 10!

Just submitted a 5-star-review to the german AppStore!

4. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    wow this is getting a lot of love. will have to check it out.

chris.

5. Mattosai

Mattosai Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2010
    This game is a real gem , i played a lot of games, but this one is probably the most fun and polished i spotted until now .

excellent music, excellent graphics, nice playing duration (if you want to clear the 48 sectors, it'll take some hours ) .

congrats to the devs.

6. PrivateJoker

PrivateJoker Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Herefordshire, U.K.
    Great to see this getting the thumbs up from everyone. Downloading it now.

It's also great to see not one post saying they're gonna wait for a price drop or something. Support the Dev's. Bigger, better games ftw!

7. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

all you lurkers reading this, instead of wasting your time trying to get promo codes, go buy this game! then you guys can stop bothering us for a good six hours or so:p

8. Jarek

Jarek Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    FISHLABS Moderator
    Końskie, Poland
    #68 Jarek, Feb 6, 2010
    I published 5-star review at the US AppStore a few hours ago.
    Thus, my heart gets softer when I read so many positive, amazed reviewers' opinions.
    One game and unified so many players all around the world...

I guess it is time to move "Space Miner: Space Ore Bust" icon to the dock, just next to the "Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars", isn't it?

I can foretell one thing for sure: "Space Miner" soon will not be mentioned no only in "New and Noteworthy" but even on "Top Paid Apps" list! I wonder which AppStore publishes it as the pioneer? :)

9. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    This game looks friggin' awesome.

I haven't seen anyone mention the controls yet. How are they? The gold standard for me is Meteor Blitz and that is in my top 3 favorite iphone games. How do the controls in this one compare to that one? If they're even close I will be incredibly impressed.

10. Mattosai

Mattosai Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Controls are nice, not as nice as meteor blitz but close :) you don't move like meteor blitz, you give the direction and you must push the trust button to accelerate, it's a little more delicate but nothing to fear ;)

It plays like a stardust game if you did those.

11. Jarek

Jarek Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    FISHLABS Moderator
    Końskie, Poland
    #71 Jarek, Feb 6, 2010
    Do You remember old, good Asteroids? Controls are the same in "SM".
    With directional wheel on the left and thrust and Fire buttons on the rght (but position is configurable) steering is childish easy.
    I miss only brake button, but it is not neccessary as if You maintained steering, You knew how to stop Your ship movement with d-wheel and thrust pedal.

12. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Pretty sure I played Asteroids in the arcade when I was a kid, but it's hazy.

Anyway, I think I have a good idea of how it plays based on your descriptions, thanks guys.

I'm sure I will pick this up before the week is out, but I don't have any room on my iPod at the moment. I should spend a few more hours on some of the other games I got this week and last so I can clear them off.

It's calling to me though . . .it looks really fantastic :)

13. estyst

estyst Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    Poland
    #73 estyst, Feb 6, 2010
    what a recommendation ;d downloading ;]

[edit]

downloading directly on iPhone was a BIG mistake, as big as 112MB -_-

14. Jarek

Jarek Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    FISHLABS Moderator
    Końskie, Poland
    You know... Once I had to download "Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars" and "N.O.V.A." via Wi-Fi connection only.
    May I advice You something? Go to Settings > General > Sleep mode and set "Never".
    Then Wi-Fi won't disconnect, when Your device will fall asleep.

After all... "Space Miner" is definately worth time spent on downloading. :)

15. Caladell

Caladell Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2010
    I didn't see much of this game leading up to release. In fact, I think the only thing I saw was the thread title. I thought the Space 'Ore' Bust was quite witty. Finally checked out the thread, and watched the video, which was very cool. Reminded me of an old Mac game called Escape Velocity, which I really enjoyed and missed. So after reading people's impressions, I finally went for it, and I'm very glad I did. Like others have said, this game has serious polish, good humor, great controls, and it's just flat out cool.

Thanks to the devs for making such a good game

16. estyst

estyst Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    Poland
    #76 estyst, Feb 6, 2010
    this game really is THAT polished :)

country music, great graphics made with care for details, (sopace-)western-like mood... and apart from that it is as well designed as a good game you will expect on your PC :)

it's like atsteroids+motherload+missions (i dig it is a motherload clone for iPhone for example) which is actually great because it will ocupy you for relatively long time

[edit]

actually it downloaded ok, last time I was downloading app bigger than 50MB I had 3.0 firmware - it almost ended up with locking my iPhone until sync with iTunes because at first download won't start and then (after downloading) it was "busy installing" for a long time... and it was so hot I thought it was something wrong with battery...

17. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #77 Vovin, Feb 6, 2010
    Opps, forgot to post my detailed rating - here it is:

Graphics:---------------09/10 (very detailed, crisp & clear, polished, best space backgrounds I saw in a while)
    Sound:-----------------10/10 (clear, perfectly fitting the game's mood, western style)
    Controls:---------------10/10 (customisable, fitting perfectly)
    Gameplay:--------------10/10 (see thread)
    Story:------------------10/10 (long, detailed and funny, unusual storyline, a lot of characters)
    Content:---------------10/10 (huge, lots of maps, 24 missions, gameplay lasts up approx. 8-12 hours in normal difficulty)
    Polish:----------------- 10/10 (no lags, no glitches, smooth running game, no crashes)
    Replay value:-----------09/10 (very good, different difficulty modes to play)
    Leaderboard support:----08/10 (supports plus+)
    price-performance ratio:-10/10 (fantastic, 4.99$ for a game that can compete with a PSP game 5 times more expensive)

Score: 9.6/10 - marvelous!

18. TheCherub

TheCherub Active Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Seriously this is the most polished game in the app store! I like to see it as "motherload" in space with a sense of humor (a great one if i say so myself) this is now my favourite game on the ipod touch!
    :D :D :D

19. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

A brake? In space? Yeah, right, Jarek... ;)
    Maybe some thrusters shooting forward.. I could live with that. :)
    But as Jarek mentioned, you just use your thrusters and a fast u-turn to slow down. Works fine.

But even I managed to understand the controls in an instant. Very easy!
    And the best is - all controls are fully customisable! Wheel can be fit to your thumb size, controls can be changed, you even can have have a "steering control point" around your ship!!!
    Somebody gave the controls very detailed and deep thoughts.

20. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    This game is SOOO GOOD.
    This game is SOOO GOOD.
    This game is SOOO GOOD.
    This game is SOOO GOOD.
    This game is SOOO GOOD.
    This game is SOOO GOOD.

...says it all.