iPad [Pulled] PuzzleQuest Chapter 1 and 2 )by TransGaming)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by currymutton, Dec 23, 2008.

1. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
  2. amn624

amn624 Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    publisher
    Nassau County, NY
    I'm just wondering if those who say they have no trouble reading the text have also played the game before. That would make a big difference.

I want to re-buy the game and have no problem coming up with the money, I just don't feel like struggling with the text. Look at Samurai Puzzle Battle by comparison, the text is eminently readable.

3. VirtualAlex

VirtualAlex Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Slide to Play reviewed this unfavorably. Although they recognize the game is excellent, they condemn the port quality. Link.

I must agree. Seeing multiple videos of this game now, the framerate looks horrible. Among other things.

4. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
  5. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    Just one little thing I noticed: On the TA front page it says that this is a port of the DS-Version of the game. This is not true, if you look at the stats of certain items and spell, you can tell that this is the 360/PS3 version of Puzzle Quest.

6. gnadenlos

gnadenlos Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2008
    I own the game for my XBOX 360, but was ready to pay another $15 for the iPhone version.

Maybe the game is great and exciting for someone who has never played it before, but if you know the PC or XBLA version it is a joke.

1. Text size: If you tell us that the mana level is easily readable you are lying to yourself. The story text is also hard to read, even if this isn't nearly as problematic as the important mana information is. If you have the choice to play the game on another system, do it! Your eyes will be thankful.

2. Three parts: Besides the price, I simply don't want to own a game that needs 3 icons on my iPhone.

3. Moving gems requires two clicks. This is not the way good controls work. It's a clear sign, that the developers know that the controls are not good and accurate enough to input moves with a single swipe.

This is a sad month for iPhone gaming. Puzzle Quest and Crystal Defenders could have been real gems and easily become the two best games on Appstore, but instead the developers decided to make some quick money with cheap ports.

7. Chiller ONE

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    No, you can actually swipe to swap gems in this game.

8. STP_Steve

STP_Steve Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Editor of slidetoplay.com
    San Francisco, CA
    I actually went back and forth between the 1 and 2 when reviewing Puzzle Quest. It's technically playable, and Puzzle Quest is still one of the best games of the last several years (IMO), but I just can't get over the fact that this version does next to nothing to adapt the game for play on the iPhone.

Transgaming could have made a few simple design choices to improve the play experience a lot, like expanding the size of the Match-3 board and redoing the font. If you don't believe me, you should try Universomo's mobile version of the game, which was substantially redesigned for smaller screens. Either they didn't think about that stuff, or (more likely) they thought about it and then said, "meh... it's good enough!"

No, it isn't. I'd very much like to revise my score upward, but it ain't gonna happen until Transgaming fixes some of the painfully broken things about this game.

9. istopmotion

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    I agree with about 95% of what you said. Especially about this part:

It seems like they just rushed it and wanted to get it out as soon as possible than really trying to make it a quality iPhone game.

10. Igoo

Igoo Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    What does that say about the state of iDevice gaming when a gimpy, illegible version of PQ is still more fun than at least three quarters of the stuff in the App Store?

11. STP_Steve

Sep 5, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    It says that there's more than 3000 games in the App Store ;)

12. Chiller ONE

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    I corrected your mistake.
    Thank me later.

13. GBX

GBX Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    as a long-time player/fan of puzzle quest on both DS and PSP platforms, this version is an insult and doesn't deserve my money =(

14. STP_Steve

Sep 5, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    Ouch.

15. gnadenlos

gnadenlos Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2008
    It tells us that Puzzle Quest is not in the Top 500 of the best iPhone games? Guess what - you are right!

16. amn624

amn624 Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    publisher
    Nassau County, NY
    PQ Update in January

Excellent news!

Transgaming says there will be a "new release" (I guess they mean update) in January and a blog that will "go live soon."

If the text readability issue is resolved, my $10 will be the first to be spent on PQ.

:D

17. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Source please? I'd like to read more about it... Thanks.

18. istopmotion

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    Well I just hope they fix the problem with characters getting deleted. I don't have too much of a problem with the text, as I can read it pretty well. :p

19. amn624

amn624 Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    publisher
    Nassau County, NY
    I just received an email from Sutha Kamal of Transgaming in response to an email sent to them earlier in the day inquiring about when an update would be released.

If you're interested, they can be reached at [email protected].

Re istopmotion's complaint (and others), I would guee they read the forums and are aware of that issue.

20. VirtualAlex

VirtualAlex Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    It's the low frame rate that bothers me the most. Looks very shabby from the dozens of videos I have seen.