Pocket Heroes - D&D meets Words with Friends

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Brandon Pollet, Jun 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. edbrannin

edbrannin Active Member

Aug 15, 2010
    One suggestion:

Please edit the first post of this thread to include a link to your blog. That's most of what I was looking for when I came to this thread today, and down the line it'll get harder for people to notice that link you posted on page 2.

This looks fantastic, and I really look forward to trying it!

2. Brandon Pollet

Brandon Pollet Well-Known Member

@edbrannin Thanks for the suggestion, I'm adding that info in now.

Right now we are shooting for both pre-determined levels and randomly generated levels. The idea is that there will be a set of levels with a theme (fire cave for example) and once you complete that set of levels it will unlock a second dungeon in that same theme that is randomly generated so you can continue to fight those enemies without replaying the same levels again and again.

However it's highly possible that the random levels will come along after release as an update.

3. NetRitual

NetRitual Well-Known Member

Anyone sourcing HeroQuest as any form of inspiration is someone to support! *thumbs up*

For characters, no unlockable classes or races. How annoying could it be to level up your character and then find that the hours you sunk into adventuring, are wasted as you have unlocked a 'Better' (or different) class, that you want to use. Kinda like farming favour point in DDO to unlock drow or 32pt builds.

I know at least one other person that would buy this on release, so let the adventuring times roll!

4. zxelman

zxelman Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2009
    USA
    I agree with the "no unlocking classes" suggestion. However, if the classes could branch off into 2 or 3 different classes (i.e. have 1 branched class a more focused version of the branching class, while others being focused in other areas) while maintaining the character level would really give the players an option to choose their playstyle.

This could be quite the hardcore yet casual app that everyone plays. :D I suggest the slogan to be, "Hardcore, yet casual", or vice versa. :D

5. NetRitual

I like that. Like prestige roles later on. A 'fighter' at a high enough level can advance into of three areas, maybe a defender, a berserker or a crowd control fighter (using taunts, sweeping kicks to knock over monsters, bashes to stutn them, etc)

6. Brandon Pollet

#26 Brandon Pollet, Jun 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
    HeroQuest was a huge influence for us in starting this game! Like HeroQuest we've tried to create a game that is fun for hardcore players but casually approchable as well.

As for the character classes, we're still working out the details so I don't want to commit to anything but all your ideas sound good. We'll try to share more with you as soon as we can.

7. zxelman

Apr 10, 2009
    USA
    Yea exactly. It does take a lot of time to balance the classes however if this were to be implemented, so no rush for the developers. I'd rather wait for awhile instead of dealing with a certain class everyone goes for because it's stronger than everything else. Still, yea it would be fun to have choices like this.

8. NetRitual

#28 NetRitual, Jun 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
    Maybe off topic, but I would still love to see an rpg (especially one that is multiplayer like this) that gives you a blank slate for characters, and you develop them as you want, rather than set classes. If you want a big burly magic user, then you can be one. Maybe specific points in character levelling where taking a specific feat will lock out other feats, but it means that sir Joe Bloggs could be a knight, that can cast some healing magic, and thanks to a rough childhood, had the knowledge to spring basic locks (and cheat at cards), however his main focus is defending the weak, while John Doe, a real scumbag rogue, had some skill with a blade, as he lives in a cutthroat area, and an affinity with distraction and crowd control skills (thanks to his various toys, powders and vials), but has amazing skills with locks.

9. Domestic

Domestic New Member

Jun 14, 2011
    Nice, this one got me excited enough to stop lurking, register and post. Sounds cool, can't wait to play!~

10. codyp

codyp New Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Northeastern Oklahoma
    Great response

Brandon and I are really happy with the response we've had so far about this game. It's something that we are very excited to be able to play, and that makes working on it a ton of fun.

As Brandon has mentioned, we've got some pretty good character class ideas in the works (and, I think, some interesting mechanics and content ideas in general). So, as things solidify we'll probably be doing some blog posts to try to keep everyone in the loop and get some more information and opinions flowing both directions.

We'll try to keep this thread up to date, but you might also check out our blog at http://f5games.com, and 'follow' us on facebook here.

Thanks everyone!

11. zxelman

Apr 10, 2009
    USA
    So how's the game coming along so far in development?

12. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    I think it said on the front page that it's coming out on July 15th

13. zxelman

Apr 10, 2009
    USA
    Wait, where?

14. Brandon Pollet

Pocket Heroes Progress

Thanks for asking! We're actually making a lot of progress on both the game design (characters, story, quests) and the game mechanics. I'm actually hoping to put together a 'developer video' next week that will show us playing through a mini-quest and talking about some of the things we've been up to since E3.

I've attached a couple images below, one is a character concept sketch and the other is our first take on a world map for the game. A lot of this is still likely to change but I like the idea of sharing things as we move through the process.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While I would love to say that is the case I think you're referring to Pocket RPG More Pocket RPG Screens Emerge, unfortunately we have very similar names. I'm sure the rest of the team will slap me for saying this but our goal is to launch the game this Fall, so we're still a few months out.

Thanks for staying interested! I'll try to continue sharing info with all of you as we move along, and look for that video hopefully sometime next week.

15. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Oh damn my bad. Both games are looking pretty cool but I'm siding towards this more as I love the multi player idea. But Nooooo still ages to wait :-(

16. zxelman

Apr 10, 2009
    USA
    Looks neat so far. Are the areas in the map basically going to be where one area is tougher than the other?

Also, will there be any pets/creatures to assist you? And is there any shop to access or is all the loot obtained through dungeons?

17. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Are we going to get some screenshots at some point in time? The graphics look reminiscent of some old-school RPGs, but it's hard to get a good look since the device is tilted in the video.

18. Eney

Eney Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    McDonalds
    Looks great :) I really hope there are tons and tons and tooooooonnnnnnnssssss of loots and levels and stuff like that :D

19. Noman

Noman Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Agreed, my biggest concern with this game is that it will be too "casual" and not offer the depth that makes me want to come back for more.

20. Eney

Eney Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    McDonalds
    I share your fears. I don't want the game to be you reach a certain level and obtain the best armor and than everyone has the same armor and weapons and there's no variety