Universal Plants vs. Zombies™ Heroes (by Electronic Arts)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Eli, Mar 10, 2016.

1. andysmash

andysmash Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    I really, really, really think you should not worry about it. This is a "soft launch" for us in America, but in New Zealand, this is a legit release. There's no way they'd let them play for a few weeks and then kill their progress just cause they let the rest of the world play it. If anyone has an example of this happening that they know of let me know, but seriously - it'll be fine.

2. andysmash

Apr 6, 2011
    I just put the game into airplane mode and played a match.

3. Bucktroo

Bucktroo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 29, 2011
    Male
    Analyst
    Natural State
    I'm not really concerned about my progress (since I can't purchase anything regardless). I'm just really curious how on earth they're saving our info. Gamecenter doesn't pop up at all, I haven't logged in to anything, etc.

4. Bucktroo

Bucktroo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 29, 2011
    Male
    Analyst
    Natural State
    So out of curiousity I deleted the game. Logged out of everything then relogged back in and installed it.

Progress wasn't saved at all. Still no where to sign in.

Just letting you guys know about my experiment.

5. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Thats good looking out man!

6. Krump

Krump Member

Mar 10, 2016
    #46 Krump, Mar 10, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  7. spader623

spader623 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2014
    Finally got it downloaded but it's taking forever to update. Can j leave it open in the background while it 'downloads' or do I need to stay in the app on the screen?

8. Card

Card Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Toronto Canada
    #48 Card, Mar 11, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  9. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Thanks! Because of your reply I went and got it and I do love it. I'll keep it on my device for now. It is rather huge as it's 800mb and will grow bigger as they update it.

Some comments are it really is fun but you'll have to keep in mind this is a soft launch. I will never forget how awesome PvZ2 was and then it slowly got butchered until it's the mess it is today. It's still playable but if you compare the original version up the current one it's no where close as good.

So whatever we like now could ultimately be destroyed by EA later on. PvZ2 removed branching paths and multiple clear missions and turned the entire map into a straight line probably because they wanted the game to go back into simple.

10. Saucepolicy

Saucepolicy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2009
    Crispy ex-game developer
    Branching paths and backtracking not only confused too many players, but it actively decreased retention. Don't blame EA, blame the single digit IQ of the iOS user hivemind. :p

11. kozz84

kozz84 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    #51 kozz84, Mar 11, 2016
    Well, Nintendo did the same with Super Mario Galaxy 2. I don't think branching paths are that important. Now everything is streamlined, but don't confuse it with dumbing down. As far as I remember I hated pvz 2 at the beginning, but when they changed the map I loved it. Replaying the level to unlock the new world was so annoying...

Regarding PVZ Heroes am I the only one that finds the perspective weird? Why did they change planes from horizontal to vertical? It's so messed up the way units shoot upwards...

12. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    Holy SHIP .
    Wtf.
    Why isn't this in the us?
    Are I kidding me

13. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I noticed this game doesn't have any kind of skirmish mode. This is probably the mode I want most and I hope they add it in the future. From what it appears to be, once you finish the adventures for both sides you will only be left with multiplayer which as of now has trouble finding players. I'm not much of a multiplayer person so I'd rather keep playing with an AI.

Also you can't replay old adventures so you have to keep moving forward - this could also lead to a paywall if you happen to cross an extremely powerful enemy and you don't have enough good cards.

14. TotallyImba

TotallyImba Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2010
    United Kingdom
    #54 TotallyImba, Mar 11, 2016
    This fact that there is no account or sign in kills this one for me. Guess I will wait to see whether they add that when it launches worldwide.

15. Card

Card Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Toronto Canada
    #55 Card, Mar 11, 2016
    The multiplayer doesn't seem to work for me - can't find players. Or am I not waiting long enough?

16. Limelight

Limelight Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2014
    To save my city.
    localhost
  17. Limelight

Limelight Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2014
    To save my city.
    localhost
    Yeah. I also notice that. But I tried playing 1 game on multiplayer. But finding an opponent is a bit long.

18. dragonx91

dragonx91 Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2016
    If it does not find an opponent in 30 sec, i switch from plant to zombie or vice versa and I usually find a match so far within 15 secs.
    Very attractive game after a long time for me.

19. Card

Card Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Toronto Canada
    ^ thanks I'll try that.

20. andysmash

Apr 6, 2011
    I think my only complaint about this game is how long it takes to finish matches because of fight animations. I'd love a toggle that will get rid of that. I'd play twice as many games if I knew I didn't need to watch the same moves over and over.