Older Mobile Gamers?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by wonderspark, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Poo

Poo Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Those and fallout 1,2,tactics. I've bought those first few fallout games probably 6 times each and would pay 20 each for them on my iPad.

2. hitmantb

hitmantb Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Grew up on my own share of Mario, Contra, Doom, Street Fighter, King of Fighters, Baldur's Gate, Ultima Online, Diablo, Starcraft, World of Warcraft etc.

Playing the old school games are about as appealing as watching movies/TV series of the same era, it is just nostalgia. Modern mobile games give you instant gratification and you can play any time, any where on a device you always carry with you. There is a reason Hearthstone revenue on mobile quickly exceeded its revenue on PC. The social aspect is just icing on the cake.

I do hope there are more competitive mobile games. Clash of Clans, World of Tanks Blitz and Hearthstone are examples of mobile games that can be played very competitively. A lot of great mobile games would be even better if they added real PVP elements (Puzzles and Dragons, Marvel Future Fight).

3. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    iPhone's and iPad's are a different medium that PC. Just like consoles, PC, and handheld are different mediums. Some types of games will never play as well on touchscreen and others are superior. For example digital board games are a perfect fit on a tablet. So you have to be flexible on the types of games you'll play. If you looking for a PC experience then buy a PC because nothing is superior to the real thing. If your looking for a console experience buy a xBox or PS4. If you looking for a new experience on a portable device then give an iPhone/iPad/Android device a whirl.

4. alduinslayer

alduinslayer Active Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Oh, hi raresloth didn't expect to see you here XD

5. wonderspark

wonderspark Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2015
    LOL @Oldgamer - I'm a bit younger (39), but also typed in a bunch of games from the back pages of things like Compute! and other magazines. Good times. My first was a Timex Sinclair, but really, it was a C64, which I still have in my garage somewhere. Oh, the days when you hole-punched a 5 1/4" floppy to double your storage capacity.

re: freemium - I've got a bit of a complex relationship with freemium. I think freemium enables a lot of really great things - but the catch is that it also carries a lot of baggage with it, because most of what people associate with freemium are timers, extra lives, and other garbage that largely spawns from Zynga's awful exploitative garbage. But if you look at freemium these days, there are rays of hope for better things. League of Legends, Hearthstone, etc. - games that are free to play, but you can pay for things that you actually value. They're not exploitative or pressure-y, and if I spend $15 on them, I feel like I've gotten a tremendous amount of value for the money. I think if we can move f2p in that direction, it's a win-win, honestly. But it depends on the developers being people that love games & value their players, and not just a bunch of money-grubbing weasels.

6. wonderspark

Jul 29, 2015
    For $3, I'm happy to support someone who views things like you do. Bought. Will let you know about the itch-scratching when I get a chance to dive in. :)

7. wonderspark

Jul 29, 2015
    Oh god. Ultima IX. So... painful.

My first Ultima was V, and oh, man, it's burned into my memory. IX ... IX, I just wish was burned, period. :D Ambitious, but rubbish, as the Top Gear folks always say.

8. farmboy74

farmboy74 Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Uk
    I started playing games on the ZX Spectrum 48k back in the 80's before progressing onto Amstrad CPC 464 at which point consoles were coming to the end of the 8 bit and the beginning the 16 bit era I brought a Megadrive (Genesis) and then went own to own Gameboy, Gameboy Advance, Playstation 1 & 3, Gamecube, Xbox & 360, Nintendo DS, WII & WII U.

I got into the IOS scene round about 2009 when I brought a 3rd gen Ipod touch, I then brought the 1st gen Ipad later upgraded to the 3rd gen Ipad I'm still rocking with now. I liked the games on the app store and the different ways you could play games. I tried my hand at FPS like Nova etc but became frustrated as I couldn't get to grips with the touch screen controls.

Along came the original Icade and it reinvigorated my appetite for plying games with physical controls. But the way the app store was going with freemium releases with timers IAP etc put me off the app store. Sure I still brought games like X-COM Enemy Within and Battle Academy but all these freemium releases put me off the scene and I went back to console gaming.

But the trouble with console gaming was most games I liked to play required 40+ hours, with work and family commitments, I was finding I was burning the candle at both ends and really unable to dedicate that amount of time.

Earlier this year I had an accident which resulted in a fractured L1 vertebrae which left me unable to bend down for a while, I reached for my Ipad and discovered the premium releases were making a come back and not only that but a large amount of classic games had also made their way to the app store. I started enjoying to game on my Ipad again as well as read books. With the advent of MFI controllers and games like Transistor making the move to IOS it's looking like I might make the break from consoles on a permanent basis.

9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    ^good to hear from another speccy fan

With Spectaculator you can import your own games (not with the latest os as that shuts down access to your phone) and its icade compatible. Love it

10. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    If Ultima is your style go for Lowlander. It's a fan tribute to Ultima II which is the first Ultima I played. It's excellent and the developer is active on the Lowlander thread.

http://toucharcade.com/2015/01/22/lowlander-review/

11. solarfl4re

solarfl4re Member

Jan 31, 2011
    I can't bring myself to play any of the 'time waster' games on my iPad for more than a minute before quitting. It all feels so pointless, and it isn't challenging enough. The only games I've really spent any time playing are XCOM (which is awesome and at times has me on the edge of my seat, wondering if I can keep my favorite soldier alive), board games like Carcosonne, or multiplayer games like Multiponk, Trigonarium, and so on. But in general, I don't play games on my iPad.

12. farmboy74

farmboy74 Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Uk
    Unfortunately I'm on the latest OS, what happened to the Elite ZX Spectrum app?

13. Hedron Engineer

Hedron Engineer Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2015
    35 years old. Father of 1 and 1 on the way. Started gaming on a C64, played on 486 then Pentium 100 specifically bought for gaming. Then moved to playing on PCs bought for other purposes. As a child also played a lot on NES and SNES of friends. Also played a lot on my own Game Boy. Then bought an old NES and N64 and enjoyed that, and XBox. Then bought a Wii and a DS.

I would love to start another Zelda adventure except for one thing: time. Maybe in a few years... I now pretty much only play during my daily 16 minute train rides to and from work, and for a bit longer during the odd evening my wife is out and my daughter is sleeping. Mobile is great for that, but I do notice I am veering more towards more "real" games, and paying a little for that enjoyment. I loved the point and click The Journey Down, I loved Hero Academy, I love Reckless Racing 3, and now I'm enjoying playing through the Silver Bullet. These are proper game experiences that do fit in that 16 min. window.... Card Crawl is fun but more for killing time.

I like when free to play is used like the old shareware games, you can try and pay when you like it. Even though 2 euro is very little for a game, it does add up considering the vast number of games to choose from....

14. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Ha ha that's a long story. Hopefully buying a Sinclair Vega in the next few weeks (Google it it's great)

15. falco

falco Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2013
    Canada
    #55 falco, Jul 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    Do not forget that there are only like 3 or 4 games each years that is worth it and on both consoles and PC! it's not as if there was always good games, you know what I mean? I think people these days expect too much like a super excellent great games. They wish that every thursday and this is why we say weak week every thursday. I may be out of topic a little bit but I think its worth saying.

What I mean is great games does not happend very often normaly and people expect so many good games each weeks and I think this is impossible. by the way mobile games is still very new compare to consoles see it!

16. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    I simply cannot understand how people still insist that iOS has few worthy "premium" experiences. There are a lot of trash and cashgrabbers for sure. However, there are many gems. My backlog is so big to the point that I decided to stop buying new games until it is way smaller.

Some examples: Dragon Quest series, Bastion, Transistor, Baldur's Gate I and II, Icewind Dale, Gemini Rue, Drylands, Trap n' Gemstones, Goblin Sword,Chaos Ring series, Oceanhorn, Leo's Fortune, Thomas was Alone, 80 days, Valliant Hearts, Banner Saga, X-Com, Shadowrun, Bug Heroes, Device 6, Her Story, Swordigo, Radiation Island, Choice of Games books, Knights of The Old Republic, Avernum, Avadon, Gamebook Adventures. And many, many more. The sheer ammount of playing hours to finish them all is crazy.

Not to mention the many casual pick and play games that are indeed fun to play and the many more that eventually will come. The only thing that bothers me is that updates tend to broke older games. If it was not for that, ipad gaming would be perfect for me.

17. Dankrio

Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Excellent point!

18. wonderspark

Jul 29, 2015
    So just outta curiosity - it seems like there's a bit of a dichotomy. Some folks seem to really like the older-school "long form" games, and some people value the shorter, bite-sized games. Is it an either-or? Do folks play both?

For me, what I've found is that some of the long-form games I just don't play on mobile, no matter how good they are. I thought I'd get into Baldur's Gate & KOTOR, since I loved them way back when, but even on my iPad, when I'm playing on a mobile device, I tend to want games that I can play... let's be honest here... on the crapper. Or while waiting in line. It's kind of like, I've got a few minutes, and I want to get something done. If I've got a few minutes & I fire up KOTOR, I'll maybe walk into another room & then need to stop playing. :D

seppo

19. Dankrio

Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    #59 Dankrio, Jul 30, 2015
    I feel different. I love playing these kind of games on my bed, just before sleeping, for example. It is way more comfortable for me than playing in front of TV. But, maybe, that's just me.

I dig both.

20. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    #60 klink, Jul 30, 2015
    Between having a fulltime job, a wife (who also has a fulltime job), and kids (twins) I don't have large blocks of time to play games. So I don't play longform games on any platform. If anything mobile gaming is my gaming savior. :)

My favorite games are the ones that have a long form feel to them but can be played in short blocks. FTL is a good example because it had an epic feel to it but you could stop playing it at any point. Waking Mars is another good example.