New iPhone Game Controller

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by zak833, Oct 1, 2012.

?

Will more games be made for landscape than portrait given the length of the iPhone 5?

Poll closed Oct 31, 2012.
  1. Yes, most likely.

62.5%
  2. No, probably the same split as now.

37.5%
  3. Not sure.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Not sure, but it's a good idea.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. zak833

zak833 New Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Hi guys,

I'm writing because my partner (an iPhone game dev) and I are in the process of developing a new type of game controller for the iPhone. It may be a huge dud or it may not, but the question we're currently asking ourselves is whether it would be wise or not to develop it to accommodate both landscape AND portrait orientations?

The iPhone 5 screen is considerably longer than previous versions (9cm vs. 7.5cm), and in Jared's article today, for example - http://toucharcade.com/2012/10/01/ten-games-on-iphone-5-vs-iphone-4s/
    ...Only 3 of the 10 games he mentions as being better on the 5 are in portrait.

That said, since we're trying to make this controller as efficiently as possible (both from a design and investment standpoint), do any of you guys have an opinion as to whether most game releases moving forward are likely to be in landscape or portrait, which could help determine our decision?

Thank you in advance for any input, and I'll be providing updates as to our progress in this forum.

Zak

2. Jordanbuzz

Jordanbuzz Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2011
    i think that will be awesome! maybe just do landscape because some people need a good controller for FPS or TPS games. i know Modern Combat 3,4 and some other games people could play. i Love MC3 so i would love a controller

3. zak833

zak833 New Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Hey Jordan, thanks for the feedback. What we're developing will be perfect for games like Modern Combat, but also standard platformers etc. Like I said, we plan to keep everyone up to date on this forum, and hope to launch the product within the next 3 months or so.

4. Yeah, landscape will look good on the iphone 5, plus controls will be easier to place on some games.