Universal Monsters Ate My Birthday Cake (by Cartoon Network)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Jun 25, 2014.

1. wigzisonfire

wigzisonfire Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2012
    Art Director
    London
    100% agree here.

Btw I also agree that this game was well worth the full price and is awesome.

But it is really annoying that the people who are most willing to support a dev are the ones the dev is most happy to screw over!

I get that sales might not be as expected as an ok reason to tinker with price, the other reason in the thread about putting it higher to get the money from peeps who have been waiting is a freakin joke.

So as a sign of grattitude to all the gamers that tracked your kickstarter, followed your dev blogs, built hype around and eventually eagerly bought the game without question. You up the price to con them. Nice one.

Devs need to do something that rewards early adopters as we all know App Store prices change. The devs doing things like this are the reason people quibble over buying a new game to start with! Knowing if you wait a week with notifications on the game might drop, causing bad sales and eventually forcing devs to drop prices.

Gimme an early adopter prize and I won't ever hesitate. (I think rocketcat did this on mage gauntlet.)

2. truechicken

truechicken Active Member

Mar 20, 2014
    The protagonist does not wield a sword

seriously.

3. truechicken

Mar 20, 2014
    #83 truechicken, Jun 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
    well i had problems with the controls too on iphone. And the dev seems to just ignore us or maybe he just doesn't know toucharcade.

4. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    LOL so true! this game would have been perfect if niko had a sword and shield and 3 hearts. 360 dpad, attack button, and shield button. you can buy new swords and shields and costumes. The levels of gogapoe island is 1 level open world level with monsters and stuff and next level puzzle with the line drawing mechanic and next level is the action part again. We can call this Monsters are my birthday cake 2: The legend of niko

5. matyou98

matyou98 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2012
    My post from the price drop thread.

I thought it was weird they raised the price from 3.99 to 4.99 for the USA release (check appshopper). Then came the 5 star reviews from several sites proclaiming this is the best game EVAR!!!!

Then came release. People said it was fun but complained about the controls. I kept my eye on the thread here for the game and while people liked it it was not the phenomenon a game like threes (another highly rated game). Something struck me as fishy that such a highly reviewed game is getting a lukewarm reception (incentives for review sites to say great things about the game). Last statement is opinion not fact.

Then came the price drop. I'm sure it's doing good but based on the games thread here it is not been received as well as almost any other 5 star game. (Battle heart legacy wayward souls).

The game has been on my radar since there were many articles saying "mabc releases this week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). Seeing this price drop I went ahead and purchased.

I agree with everyone else. The controls on iPad are fine but can be more difficult on a phone. Game does have icloud which is great. I would say this is a 3-4 star game that has great (maybe plagiarized?) artwork. I still think something is up with all the sky high reviews but either way the game is decent (not the best thing since sliced bread as all the reviews would make you think. Just my 2 cents about this highly hyped game.

6. truechicken

Mar 20, 2014
    and he should tottaly wear a moustache

7. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I did notice some hype but to be honest barely knew anything about the game and hadn't followed it but it does deserve 4/5 stars I don't think it's ratings are overly high for what it is because it's a good polished game that I keep going back to.

8. Hambo12

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    It's probably cause ur used to those 3d good looking god fire infinity blade game and you don't see a real cute gem when you see one.

9. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Just got my first unlockable costume, which can be unlocked after completing (minor spoiler)
    the last level of the third world

10. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    I'm up to 2-9 on Powder Peaks, but then my charger stopped working and my Mini is out of battery. :(

11. truechicken

Mar 20, 2014
    i was being sarcastic since the beginning

i dont think the protagonist should wield a sword, but people do

and example if this is swordigo, that is very mediocre but people loved

12. truechicken

Mar 20, 2014
    although a moustache wearable wouldnt be bad at all

13. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
  14. YoriKv

YoriKv Member

Jul 1, 2014
    #94 YoriKv, Jul 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
    Hey everyone, thank you all for the kind comments about the game. We are carefully listening to and taking into account any feedback we get.

For those of you having trouble with the controls, hopefully you'll have an easier time with the next update we're working on. We've already fixed an issue with character selection in tight spaces (my bad!) and will also look into adding in another control scheme. The secondary control scheme is actually already implemented, we just didn't have time to properly integrate it into the game and didn't want to release it without giving it the attention it deserves.

The game is also coming out on Steam in about 9 hours. So for those of you who have not yet gotten the game because you're worried about the controls, the desktop version includes complete support for joypad (default bindings for 360 controller), mouse, and keyboard based controls.

Edit:
    Oh, also wanted to mention that we'll most likely be adding the following tips to the Biblio Monstrum to get people more proficient with the controls.
    - Use pinch or the zoom out key to view the whole level at once.
    - Drawing a path doesn't have to start at the location of the character. If you start drawing away from the character the game will fill in the path from the character to wherever you touched down.

15. Hambo12

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet

Umm... No swords? :(

16. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Thanks for the message YoriKv I didn't want to get the game at first as I buy so many and wasn't sure if like it. But I do really love the game and keep coming back to it to play more....trying not to play too much so I don't complete it yet. Is there a possibility of future content?

The controls can be a little fiddly sometimes on my 5s but nothing too bad, I think it just takes getting use to. I don't think I'd swap control method if there were an option. But it's good to have an option for those unsure with it.

17. ImJPaul

ImJPaul Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    Male
    MGMT!
    Baltimore
    Ya. You just have bad taste. Swordigo was very well done if you could forgive the box-y graphics. C'mon man. Bashing that game is gonna be nothing but trouble for you here. #

18. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    I'm having a dilemma now lol, not sure whether to get this on Steam or iOS...anyone played them both? Would love to do a review once I'm done so would prefer to get iOS but I do a lot more gaming on Steam now so that's tempting me away.

One of the voices in my head is telling me to get both though lol.

19. truechicken

Mar 20, 2014
    wow nice, thanks. looking forward for the second control scheme