GameClub Mikey Shorts (by BeaverTap Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Shaun glitch

Shaun glitch Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Spark
    Uk yeah baby yeah
    Suppose I'll give it a try as its now available in UK ;)
    CONGRATS on you first release the two mikes this game is the nuts WARNING BE PREPARED TO GET ADDICTED :D

2. Shaun glitch

Aug 26, 2010
    Spark
    Uk yeah baby yeah
    Sorry for being thick but what is icade? Never heard of it before sorry :)

3. Janni

Janni Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2012
    it's an ipad-gamecontroller with (too) strong micro-switches

4. Fastbridge

Fastbridge Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Service advisor for Honda
    NYC, New York. USA
    I dont think I ever heard this Many positive reviews about a game before. Just purchased. Congrats to the TA members for a great game. Now off to get me some shorts

5. Shaun glitch

Aug 26, 2010
    Spark
    Uk yeah baby yeah
    Cheers jan :)

6. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    #86 kioshi, Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
    Today's my day off and I couldn't sleep so I got this.
    And.. Wow, this game is EPIC. I didn't even know what a speed run platformer was (for example had no idea there were no enemies) and I don't think I'll be a serious competitor, but everything is so well made in this game. And impressive customization variety.

Since people mentioned other things, I wanna say this is probably the best controls in a platformer I've ever seen. Not only the size (both iphone and ipad) are perfect, but I feel like this is the best I've played in terms of actually controlling the length and height of your jumps, many games that get the button positioning right don't do this other part so well. Actually, a lot of video game platformers (nintendo, sega, xbox whatever) don't give me the feeling I'm so much in control of exactly how long my jump will be, so it's not only a touchscreen achievement I guess.

Please guys, make a normal platformer too (or better yet, a metroidvania :D) - while I'm really enjoying this, I don't think this is a genre I'll become a fan of. And I bet many people would love a traditional platformer too, because since I'm both a grownup and won't be competitive (I only foresee myself getting the three stars), going around just getting coins is no fun for me. But too early to tell, who knows how addicted I can get to this, didn't think I'd enjoy this speed run thingie.

But congrats on the controls, they're absolutely perfect in all ways.

Here ya go, there's even a video: http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/e762/

7. Shaun glitch

Aug 26, 2010
    Spark
    Uk yeah baby yeah
    Cheers kioshi how cool is that I want one! lol and
    Nice review too , im mainly into physics puzzlers and never really played a speed run platformer till I played mikey short either but love it :D

8. skeletonlord

skeletonlord Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Brought your game, and I must say, it is a really good purchase! For 69p you get a lot of content!

Will you be adding more chapters in the future?

9. Fastbridge

Fastbridge Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Service advisor for Honda
    NYC, New York. USA
    #89 Fastbridge, Aug 23, 2012
    WOW. JUST WOW. Controls are like butter and game plays soooooo well. Loving it. Amazing job guys. Can't wait to see what you have in store for us next. Maybe a fps. Lol. Thanks for making a amazing game!

10. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    Just want to add that I installed the game on my iPhone (I usually play only on my iPad) and every developer should do what you guys did to the buttons size, making them smaller than most games on the iPad and the usual size for the iPhone. Just perfect for both devices.

The League of Evil guys could take a lesson from you, I can't play both their games on my iPad.

I pre-ordered this one - http://toucharcade.com/2012/07/05/the-impulse-controller-is-small-cheap-and-holds-your-keys/

It'll only be available in Q4 (no specified date) and I'm not sure how it will work for a platformer since it has an analog stick and no d-pad but seems like the best alternative so far because since I lug my iPad a lot including for work and studies, I guess the iCade would be bothersome for me to keep putting the ipad in and out (ntm taking it off the case I have everytime).

11. Biggavelli

Biggavelli Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Boston,MA
    Wow mike and mike Excellent work

This game is F A N T A S T I C

This is the most fun Ive had gaming since super crate box (released in Jan)

MIKEY SHORTS is a 5/5 star game (4.5 stars worst case scenario)
    Extremely addicting,fun challenging platform w/responsive controls,worth more than 99 cent.I've spent 6-7 dollars on games that don't compare to this and fade in a week or two.Mikey Shorts is game of the week but not only that it's on the best of 2012 list

If you don't have it GET IT.Gets the Biggavelli stamp of approval :D

12. NinthNinja

NinthNinja Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2011
    #92 NinthNinja, Aug 23, 2012
    On level 1 I am joint second place on the leaderboards on 27.18... How on earth did someone get 27.17 - they must of got the perfect run. I'll be surprised if anybody will get 27.16!

Time for me to perfect some other levels now :)

Edit:

I've been playing level 1 most of the day... I've hardly played the other levels which says a lot about the playability of this game. If Apple do not feature this App then the App Store is very much broken and goes to show that games that deserve success may miss out. Especially when games that are out and out clones or games full of hype and do not deliver get more success because they are a big publisher. Anyway, no more ranting and back to level 2.

13. Robotwars

Robotwars Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Wow, wow, wow. This game is near perfect. Feels so much like Mos Speed Run.. which is about the best compliment one could get :D. You guys really get it. Just amazing.

14. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Bought. Decided that this deserves my last dollar :) And its amazing :) Great job!

15. Shaun glitch

Aug 26, 2010
    Spark
    Uk yeah baby yeah
    Never say never someone will
    Always push the limits on
    Every game! Also on same time as you ATM but have bettered the drop phase split time but
    Messed up my run home dohhh lol keep plugging as I will :D ( do you use ghost or ghost line ? Or just split times ?? )

16. swarmster

swarmster Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Any hope for iCloud in a future update? These speedrun games are rough if you're trying to play on multiple devices.

17. NinthNinja

NinthNinja Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2011
    I use the line because it's a good guage to know when to restart.

18. Shaun glitch

Aug 26, 2010
    Spark
    Uk yeah baby yeah
    Also my friend Chris just hit 27.13 for 1-1 told ya records are made to be broken lol ;)

19. qpawn

qpawn Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Game Developer
    California, USA
    I'd like to add more Challenge levels and more disguises. We'll keep the forum posted of our plans! :)

There is hope! We'll spend a lot of time with iCloud and try to get it into a future update. We'll let you know! :D

20. swarmster

swarmster Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Good to hear, thank you!