Universal King's League: Odyssey (Universal app by Gamenauts)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Nov 13, 2013.

1. London-SV

London-SV Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    This game is really short, I fully upgraded all my units and facilities, took over all strongholds and beat all dungeons within 3 hours.. The game is great but the replayability needs work on, I enjoyed every minute while it lasted.

I also bought the Dragoon to show my support and was hoping I would get a little more than 3 hours use from him lol

2. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    You do know the only difference between a touch and an iPhone? Yeah, it's $1000/year wasted :D

I get texts and calls on my touch a LOT more than I do with my cell phone (wouldn't even have a cell phone at this point but have it for emergency calls, least it's only $10/month) via a $4/month wifi hotspot when I'm out, and I'm usually within a wifi network. There's no practical difference between my touch, that cost $400 up front and $4/month for cellular connectivity than my wife's $649 iPhone that costs $80/month other than the LTE she has and the savings for me.

3. xinn3r

xinn3r Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    How many total unique characters are there?
    I'm starting a new game and want to collect them all.

http://kurechii.com/2013/05/general-guide-the-kings-league-odyssey/
    I assume this is the guide for the flash version, but I think there are more unique characters in the mobile version?
    Also some of the names aren't the same, I remember my unique hunter isn't named Greg.

4. jaddlesp

jaddlesp Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Fun game, enjoying it!

5. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    Fantastic little game, but its begging for more content or a multiplayer vs mode. Well worth the price for the 6hrs or so u can get out of it. I advise doing a run on normal mode, then tackling insane mode.

6. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Yeah the difference is in hardware mainly, that and the phone LTE connectivity. I didn't realize iPods could take phone calls though. I pay $60 a month and paid $140 upfront for my 5s, so I'd say a fair amount in the realm of smartphones. That said, you are saving a crazy amount! If it wasn't already budgeted and locked in I'd look into what you got going on.

7. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Well the iPod can do FaceTime and there's apps to make calls but you still need wifi to do it.

8. Yeah, that's the guide for the Flash version and doesn't have all the new characters for the mobile version.

9. toshiX

toshiX Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    So the game is a nice little package. I'm enjoying it. But it crashes VERY often. Always at the end of the recruitment when I'm supposed to see the available units.

I'm playing the game on a 5s.

10. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    Not normal "real" phone calls, but FaceTime & Skype, yep, and, really, who is going to reach out to me that I actually want to reach me who don't have one of those? :)

Still, biggest offender with this game is my wife and texting. She texts me all the damn time, and she is also the one person who knows my general schedule and knows when I ought to be able to text her right back ;)

11. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    I didn't even think of Facetime or Skype, but that's pretty rad!

In an effort to stay on topic...
    It's safe to say, it would be excellent to see an update that allows quick saving or at least more frequent saving.

Overall, I really dig the game. Who cares what Pocket Tactics says, this is an easy recommendation to any fan of management sims. :D

12. Hi ScotDamn, thanks for the kind words. :eek:

Yeah, we're very perplexed about that one particular review, especially after getting a near perfect score (4.5/5) from Gamezebo:

http://www.gamezebo.com/games/king%E2%80%99s-league-odyssey/review

Anyway, as long as we see that folks here are enjoying the game, we're happy about that. :)

13. wheeeeman

wheeeeman Member

Sep 17, 2009
    #153 wheeeeman, Nov 15, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
    omgwtfbbq

14. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    You clearly do not understand how the ratings system works. The developer rated his game only once; the same rating then appears in the TA app for every post he makes in this thread. Gamenauts has done nothing wrong.

15. cretpetpet

cretpetpet Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Ostia
    Shocker. Didnt think it would bested ocean horn.

16. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    TA's logic in choosing Kings League over Oceanhorn is entirely understandable. OH is widely known where KL isn't.

GOTW is not the BEST game of the week, only that it's a game worth mentioning and perhaps taking a look at.

17. sivad

sivad Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2013
  18. Markku

Markku Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2011
    congrats to your team. this game is fun

19. Ruzu

Ruzu Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Your logic is disproved by the fact that there have been insanely popular games that won GOTW over less popular titles in the past. I have read the bit where they explain how they chose this weeks particular GOTW, but they have most definitely not used the same logic in previous GOTW's. One example is meltdown.

Also worth noting is that TA's GOTW is what they considered the best among themselves, while the TA Forum's GOTW is what is considered the best among the broader community.

One very important thing about GOTW's. It is -not- intended to be biased towards games with the highest production value. It is biased towards a users -perspective- on what gives them the highest value for their perceived investment.

E.G.
    I don't have Oceanhorn but I definitely don't think it's a GOTW compared to the other titles released this week. Playing such a game on a mobile device just isn't my style. I would prefer to play it on the pc rather since I feel like the game would require a huge time investment, something I don't use my iPod for. I much prefer King's League over it because while it may not be as visually impressive as Oceanhorn, I think it surpasses Oceanhorn in depth of strategy. Once you advance far enough in King's League, you have to decide whether to do side missions for quick cash, train your troops, raid castles for the long-term benefit, or do special dungeons for the challenge. All of this is coming at you at a rapid pace. There are even character trees where you choose between the branch that best suits your style.

I've seen the trailers for Oceanhorn. It is mainly just exploring and does not look nearly as exciting as King's League in my honest opinion.
    E.G.

Btw, I hope you do not take this as an attack on any level. Just noticing some inconsistencies with your logic.