Kingdom Rush Frontiers (Ironhide Game Studio) Coming June 6!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Hambo12, Oct 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. workingman

workingman Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2012
    Maintanence
    Ma
    I don't mind delays either if they make us aware and don't let the time pass with no news. They said 2012 and then told us 2013 after 2012 passed by. So I guess they have almost another year to finish as 2013 is pretty vague

2. howydowy

howydowy Active Member

Jan 14, 2013
    they said near the end of june, 2013

*sigh* i hope time could fast forward.

3. coxy

coxy Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2011
    England
    Glad it's got a (vague) date now. Can't wait - the sequel to my favourite ios game.

I trust these guys with the release far more than the oft delayed Star Command ;)

4. workingman

workingman Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2012
    Maintanence
    Ma
    June is a long way to go when it was being released in 2012. I'm sure it's going to be great if the first kingdom rush is any indication

5. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #45 Ayjona, Feb 6, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
    But dudes, if the sequel is anything like the original, some maps can take 20-40 minutes, without the possibility to save! That is simply not viable for the MAJORITY of the different circumstances under which mobile games are played (and to loose half an hour of progress because of unforeseen circumstances and the lack of a save system would have been annoying even in a desktop title).

Without a save system, many of us cannot expect to finish a map in a normal iPhone gaming session. As a result, we will not play Kingdom Rush 2 on the bus or during breaks, when we have a few minutes to spare, or in hardly ANY similar situation. For someone like me, who plays iOS games partly because he never has the time to sit down for extending gaming sessions, this means that we never play at all (which is indeed what happened with Kingdom Rush 1).

(Indeed, Nissa Campbell recently and rightfully criticized the lack of a save system in her Touch Arcade review of Dungelot. Without having done a careful side-by-side comparison, I can say that Dungelot and Kingdom Rush 1 offer gameplay sessions which are at least rather similar in length.)

If I understood the argument correctly (that you do not want to delay the release, an understandeable sentiment), can we expect to see a save system added post-release?

And I am curious (in a developer kinda way): since plenty of tower defense game which in practice seem similar enough to Kingdom Rush (including aspects like controllable heroes in the fields, player spells, branching tower paths, etc) offer saving during missions, I'm that whatever makes a save system so problematic to implement must lie in the backend/underlying structure of the game. Anything you could explain without giving away your trade secrets? ;)

6. IronhideGames

IronhideGames Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2011
    Game developers
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Te release will be between March and April, not June :)

We will look into it because we understand the issue.

It is difficult to implement because when we developed the game, we never thought on saving a mid game. So now, after having all the game programed without that in mind, it is not an easy task to add it; we might need to rewrite the game engine.

7. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    For all my above nagging, I am REALLY looking forward to it, and will try to make time, the lack of a save system notwithstanding ;)

Many thanks! Perhaps something for that rainy day when there is nothing else left to code ;)

(The time constraint issues mentioned above aside, I'm also speaking on behalf of pals with the oldest supported iPhones. On older devices, with a limited capacity to keep apps in memory, a single phone call (not to mention a phone call that precipitates the urgent need to check something out in a browser, or send a follow-up sms) can also loose a player half an hour of progress.)

I do remember suggesting it back after the release of Kingdom Rush 1 (and hearing back from you guys on the issue), so that suggests Kingdom Rush 2 (which I assume use the original's code base, hence some of the problem of rewriting it) has been in development for quite some time! Only ramps up my expectations ;)

8. PraetorianX

PraetorianX Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    My greatest fear is: since they don't plan again on mid-game save - it means again no endless/survival mode?!?!?!?

9. KennyK

KennyK Well-Known Member

Great news! :D Can't wait!

From what it seems, probably not :( But it's not out of the question for a major update to include this if they do implement the save function.

However, correct me if I'm wrong, there is a possibility that there may be a new challenge to go with the Heroic and Iron ones? I'd also assume there'd be more maps and stuff, so I'm sure you'd still get plenty of value for your buck (or two~)! :)

10. howydowy

howydowy Active Member

Jan 14, 2013
    i dont think that kingdom rush is suitable for endless/survival mode, as each level spawns a different number of enemies.

11. coxy

coxy Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2011
    England
    Not bothered about the saving issue. I've always played kingdom rush late at night when at home...or when bored at work for a long period.. ;)

For quick fixes where I don't have 20 mins then I play angry birds / cut the rope..games like that.

12. Eric_Da_Boss

Eric_Da_Boss Member

Feb 5, 2013
    None
    At my house
    True I always play it in the middle of the night. BUT my bus ride is 45 mins long! So I have time to play one round on the buss there and back ^_^

13. coxy

coxy Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2011
    England
    Definitely a good time! I also thought of another time - when I'm on the loo - a good 20 - 30 mins right there ;)

14. IronhideGames

IronhideGames Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2011
    Game developers
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Dark times are coming...
    Are you prepared?

[​IMG]
    Hidden deeply in the great dwarven forge, lies a weapon of destruction, crusher of evil beings; an uncanny machine. Only the lucky ones will see it in action!

A new adventure is coming...

The dwarves are getting ready!

Are you?

Download FullHD wallpaper!

15. PraetorianX

PraetorianX Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Uummm, i am ready. So what about the endless mode, Ironhide?

16. KennyK

KennyK Well-Known Member

Been ready for a couple of months now :p

17. Eric_Da_Boss

Eric_Da_Boss Member

Feb 5, 2013
    None
    At my house
    There isn't going to be an endless mode cause its impossable cause they have a certain spots to put the towers and the towers can't upgrade forever but other game like BTD you can squish the towers rightnext to each other. You get it :)

18. howydowy

howydowy Active Member

Jan 14, 2013
    im ready!!!!
    Ready for a year!!!!:):):)

19. nemerleb

nemerleb Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2013
    what a tease! :(( want.it.now. *slams foot on floor while pouting*

20. howydowy

howydowy Active Member

Jan 14, 2013