iPhone Jurassic Park: The Game 1 HD

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by backtothis, Nov 15, 2011.

1. SILen(e

SILen(e Member

May 10, 2009
    Finished it (Thanks iANiMeX, thought it was one of those "do it as fast as you can" sequences) and I am looking forward to the other episodes.

Yup, the experience was more like a movie than a game, but the atmosphere and story were well developed (although most of the characters were kinda cheesy) and it was fun.

It certainly entertained me and i don't rate games on a player inputs per second basis.
    Some easy adventure parts, many long cut scenes and QTE between them.
    As long as the overall experience is great, a gameplay based on cut scenes and QTE is not a bad thing.

The price is okay and one of the reasons i bought the game on the iPad.

On Steam, the game with all 4 episodes costs 30 Euros in Germany, on the iPad (if they don't change the pricing for later episodes) all the episodes combined will cost 22 Euros.

Now i have to wait for episodes 2 to 4, but iirc, those should come later this year on the same date and not spread over months.

Only downside of the game in comparison to the PC version would be the graphics.
    They are quite good, but sometimes stuttering and if the iPhone 3GS can pull off Infinity Blade, it's obvious that Jurassic Park could have been so much better looking and running if they had used a better engine.

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    On the graphics performance: this is one of those games that really benefit from flushing the device's memory before playing, either by restarting or using a tool like System Activity Monitor. With a cleared deck, I've found that hiccups are rare. I do agree that Telltale's engine is not terribly efficient.

BTW, the characters in the original JP were also kind of cheesy. Even so, I still found myself very much caught up in their stories (especially the dad -- but that could very well be for personal reasons ;)).

3. Magnum0ik

Magnum0ik Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Insurance Broker
    Portsmouth, England
    Any of the actors from the film voicing the characters?

Also, do we have any ideas when the subsequent episodes will be released?

4. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    No. These are all brand new characters with a story that sort of parallels the one from the first movie. The voice acting is excellent, though -- I would even say that the girl here is better than those two brats from the movie :D.

5. Simon Potticary

Simon Potticary Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Writer
    East London
    Classic, that made me laugh out loud..!!

6. iANiMeX

iANiMeX Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2011
    Male
    Bum
    Philippines
    I can't take the waiting for the episode 2-4 anymore so I bought the whole episode for my PC. lol.

7. Magnum0ik

Magnum0ik Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Insurance Broker
    Portsmouth, England
    I enjoyed BTTF so picking this up now.

8. MarkHerm

MarkHerm Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Germany
    #28 MarkHerm, Nov 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2011
  9. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

Yep, I just read it. Sounds like this game experiences some of the same problems their iPad games did.

10. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    No, not really. Sam and Max was borderline unplayable on the iPad 1. This is nowhere near as bad on my iPad 2. Obviously Brad and Hodapp had a different experience with their hardware -- not sure why.

11. graffekta

graffekta Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    London
    I finished this tonight. Absolutely loved it! I'm a massive fan of the movie and this hit all the right notes nostalgically. Loved the fact that it's taking place the same time as the first movie from a different p.o.v. The voice acting is spot on too.

It does stutter in parts but otherwise but it's not too bad. Hopefully they can tweak the engine a bit as they go with the other episodes...

12. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    It seems to me like the performance has improved after tonight's update. Can anyone else give their impressions post-update?

13. yongkykun

yongkykun Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    3D Animator
    Indonesia
    Just a quick nudge...

I would also like to know whether the performance is improved with the next update.

14. yongkykun

yongkykun Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    3D Animator
    Indonesia
    BUMP

Still curious about the last update, did it bring any improvement and what not? Should I get this now whilst it's on sale at $2.99?

15. MKplayer1start

MKplayer1start Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Drywall & Drywall Taping
    Toronto
    I got it yesterday while it's $2.99 and it runs pretty good. It definitely still stutters for just a second once in a while during some cinematic scenes but it's really no big deal. I played about an hour and it's really good. It might of been worse before the update

16. Phreakuency

Phreakuency Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    I disagree. I couldn't put up with the constant stutters. It ruins it.

Especially during fast paced interactive scenes, it stutters and fully pauses.

iPad 2, latest firmware and reboot after install... Very disappointed in the performance.

17. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    I guess this is like when sam and max was unplayable on ipad 1, then ipad 2 came out and you can actually play it. Maybe it'll take the ipad 3 until this game is no lag.

18. MKplayer1start

MKplayer1start Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Drywall & Drywall Taping
    Toronto
    #38 MKplayer1start, Dec 28, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
    I just finished it tonight and for everybody worried about the performance, you really do just have to close all your apps and reset your device before playing this game. It runs great.

Anybody know if there is any reason to get a gold score on all the scenarios? I just started re-playing the scenarios missing gold, but some are hard since I find a lot of the swipes or symbols don't register when you do them. That's my only complaint for the game.

19. bittyps

bittyps Member

Dec 28, 2011
    I wonder how the graphics compare to the Mac version? This looks great. Another iPad standout from Telltale!

20. tinkie277

tinkie277 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Male
    Street Cleaner
    Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
    I came across this on App Store again and it's been updated to play on iPhone as well as iPad now. Tested on my iPhone 6s Plus.