Universal iDOS 2 - DOS Emulator (by Litchie)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by litchie, Oct 26, 2010.

1. sonofstev

sonofstev Member

Oct 27, 2010
    #1381 sonofstev, Nov 7, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2010

Hmm. I wonder if the GOG version is the same as the DosBox version? If it's the Windows version, it won't work. (I'm guessing that running it under emulated Win 3.1 would cause slowdown.)

Edit: It appears the GoG version is for Windows only. If you want to run it in iDOS, you'll need to track down the original CDs.

2. thewiirocks

thewiirocks Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Expert Software Engineer
    #1382 thewiirocks, Nov 7, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
    Are you sure? GoG usually distributes the DOS versions unless there is a currently supported Windows version. Under a Killing Moon, for example, runs in DOSBox. The "Requirements" part of the page is not useful as it gives the requirements for running the game in DOSBox, not the requirements of the underlying title.

EDIT: Gabriel Knight I & II are part of the DOSBOx Compatible Games List on GOG.

3. thewiirocks

Aug 28, 2009
    Expert Software Engineer
    Pics of the updates:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. sonofstev

sonofstev Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Aha! In that case, it looks like the GoG version will work the same as the DosBox installer that merges the CDs together. GKII is a great deal at $6. I haven't played the others, but the 3D graphics on GKIII look terrible. (I think I'd really like the first game for its 2D charm.)

5. thewiirocks

Aug 28, 2009
    Expert Software Engineer
    Apparently this is a well-known issue with DOSBox. I bumped across this tip for anyone trying to get WC2 running:

Wing Commander 1 has a similar tip:

6. scarypharaoh

scarypharaoh Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Medical Professional
    With Carmen Sandiego
    Just installed "Castle of Dr. Brain"
    Having a lot of fun with this one,
    Runs perfectly well at about 800-900

Amazes me that a game like this is so similar to some of the room-escape type games that we see nowadays. Not much has really changed, the gameplay is what matters and in that sense very little differs from a modern version like the recently released Secret of grisly manor (which I very much enjoyed). Obviously the graphics are different, but I really like the stylised look of this game.
    Highly recommended:)

7. IntruderCK20

IntruderCK20 New Member

Oct 28, 2010
    I can't get this game to run at all. Plz post how you installed and configured iDOS to run this game. TIA.

8. Mookmonster

Mookmonster Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Thanks for the loadfix idea, game doesnt crash anymore!!

unfortunately, now a stupid mouse bug is causing the mouse to not be calibrated, pushing the mouse to the upper left corner I checked wcnews.com, and all their fixes no work :(

any ideas?

9. iPlayer3000

iPlayer3000 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2010
    why

Iam pretty new here , but why did apple ban this app in the 1st place?

10. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
  11. scarypharaoh

Aug 26, 2009
    Medical Professional
    With Carmen Sandiego
    this is a tiny issue, but all of a sudden my keyboard noise has dissapeared. The in game sounds are fine, but within idos itself there is no longer any keyboard noise. anyone got any ideas? (I have checked and I definately dont have the option to remove the noise set to on in the options menu)
    Thx

12. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

Did you make any changes in dospad.cfg (then use original file) other .bat files or eventually autoexec.bat (if Win3.x installed)?

13. scarypharaoh

Aug 26, 2009
    Medical Professional
    With Carmen Sandiego
    Thanks:) I didn't think to use original Cfg file! Glad I saved a backup version:)
    Many thanks

14. darkaeden

darkaeden Member

Nov 10, 2010
    #1394 darkaeden, Nov 10, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
    Is there any way to emulate Cave Story or akuji the demon with idos?

15. Shink

Shink New Member

Nov 10, 2010
    Hey guys. Long time lurker, first time poster.

Been dreaming about playing Mordor: Depths of Dejenol on my iPhone, and then iPad, ever since I got them. SO MUCH NOSTALGIA. So imagine my excitement when I heard about DOSPad being able to run Win 3.1. Gave it a try last night.

[​IMG]

"Requires at least Windows 3.1". Weird, right? Or maybe I should just go back to lurking and this is totally typical for 16-Bit Windows 3.1 games under DOSpad. (I hope not.)

People have gotten WarCraft II and Wolfenstein 3D working in DOSbox for iPad, so I can't imagine a dungeon crawler like Mordor is impossible.

Anybody have any experience debugging this stuff?
    For the record, I've already tried installing in a normal PC version of DOSbox running Windows 3.1, playing a bit, and then transferring the game files whole. Works on the PC without any major jiggering, has sound effects but no music due to some sort of MIDI sequencer issue.

After throwing a bunch of missing VBX and DLL errors on DOSpad, which I fixed by simply transferring from the PC DOSbox Windows 3.1 install to the iPad one it gives this error on DOSpad under both Windows 3.1 and 3.11:

[​IMG]

"Error 'Path/File access error' occurred in MAINMOD:mdrBetaUpdate!"

followed immediately by

[​IMG]

"Error reading C:\MORDOR\DATA\MDATA6.MDR!"

I suspect this has more to do with some kind of limitation in DOSPad's specific DOSbox emulation than anything else, since it worked fine on DOSBox.
    I usually just manage to find my question's already been asked, better, by someone else and and answered in kind. This time, I couldn't stand trying to wait it out.

In any case, i'll chase the Dejenol mobile dragon over on the DOSpad forums too, and keep posted if there are any results.

16. SHutch01

SHutch01 Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    US
    Bluetooth keyboard. Want bluetooth keyboard. Will pay more for bluetooth keyboard. :)

17. Rixx

Rixx Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    College Instructor
    Longview, Texas
    Aye If I can play Mechwarrior with the keyboard, or Ultima 1 2 3 4 5 6.....

Since 4.0 we can attach a bluetooth keyboard to Touches, so im really hoping this makes it into an update. I know it will be a DOSpad update not an iDOS update, but this is the one thing that might make me jailbreak.

Rixx

18. Stirolak26

Stirolak26 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    What cycles do you guys recommend for ultima underworld 2? And does the first one run any better?

19. THFourteen

THFourteen Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    So according to the dospad forum, the dev is working on an update to the keyboard in full screen, making the keys configurable, and also adding a virtual joystick.

This app means I can't upgrade to ios 4.2 until it's jail broken! It's just too good.

20. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

You're welcome. I had the same problem before (lost original dospad.cfg) but people here helped out, here is the original file:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=1379687&postcount=472

Or starjimstar: "Delete the file and relaunch the app. iDOS will create a new cfg." It's true, I tried it.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=1379688&postcount=473

A quick note about autoexec.bat (overrides dospad.cfg) and Windows 3.1 by tA user tsharpfilm:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?p=1381199#post1381199