Universal Icycle: On Thin Ice By Chillingo Ltd

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by copaeci, Nov 26, 2013.

1. kaibosh

kaibosh Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    This game represents an interesting new tactic on the App Store. I would think that Chillingo bowed to the Dev to allow all powerups to be gained by grinding (how many doublers do you see that can be 'ground'?) and on top of that even though Chillingo clearly knew they had something special on their hands they released the game for 99 cents, instead of... Well, let's be honest, even indie devs are getting pretty cheeky and releasing stuff for $2.99 or even more these days.

I hope their ploy pays off gangbusters - that the game spreads like a wildfire and sells like crazy, and that it makes everyone involved a tidy sum without much of it coming from the IAP.

Needless to say, the Dev behind this game needs to be locked in a dungeon and forced to crank out more games.

2. listone

listone New Member

great ,you say right!

3. Rad

Rad Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Washington
    I think most all the Chillingo games start at .99 cents and go free in less than a month, used to always buy them. Seems like all of them went to the IAP model. :(

This looks like a good game, wish the main character had pants on. I get strange looks at work even looking at the touch arcade main page that has the Ad for their game.

4. touchchamp

touchchamp Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Has anyone been able to get 100% crystals on level 6 of the bonus world (the one where you can ride a tricycle only forward, can't go backwards and there are like 10 levels non-stop - can't select the level you want either)? I can only manage 98%, missing 1 crystal I believe, but replayed it over and over and over. I've gotten 100% everything except for this 1 little crystal somewhere on that level.

5. Matt33

Matt33 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Developer
    Canada
    I have the same problem. Wonder if it's a bug?

6. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    Where are the Goth boots hidden?

7. ploink

ploink Active Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Male
    Designer / Programmer
    Berlin, Germany
    Great

Love this game. Creative and entertaining. Has a well balanced difficulty - hard but not unfair. And the surrealist illustrations and themes are beautiful!

8. ploink

ploink Active Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Male
    Designer / Programmer
    Berlin, Germany
    What did you guys think of the kiss dream sequence? I loved that! So funny!

9. FDDT

FDDT Member

Dec 2, 2012
    Great game, been playing it for a while now! Does anyone know how to get the pyjamas from Location 10? (Third challenge). Been trying for a while now and I just can't find them

10. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    I don't remember. Have you tried buying a hint after completing the level? Bear in mind that some items can only be found once you have one of the larger umbrellas.

11. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Price increase? :confused:

12. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

Now FREE for the first time. Can't tell about the IAPs but there are severals, among others: "Original Icycle game unlock".

13. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Geez! I was hoping for the upcoming something they promised. I guess it will never happen. #

14. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Oh crap. Does that mean it's turned freemium?

15. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    That was always there if you could not beat the game to unlock the original. The original game was a bonus and it really stinks compared to the new game.

16. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. The latest update was in March '14 (according to my local iTunes)…

[​IMG]

…and the tA review (Musgrave) is saying:

Together with coolpepper's evidence it doesn't sound as if the IAPs wouldn't be optional only. I'd say all-clear.

17. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Oh yeah... I remember that classic mode thingy. Glad that clears things. Would be sad to see one of the best games on the appstore go freemium.

18. squashy

squashy Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    *burp*
    The Garden of Sinners
    oh lol I totally forgot about this unique gem! Somewhat fitting to play in Christmas, I say :p

19. nemerleb

nemerleb Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2013
    Buy the biggest umbrella then at the very first screen of the level, fly over to the top-most alcove. A hidden cave will break and the jim jams are there.

20. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Answered exactly a year after it was asked! :)