GameClub Hook Champ (by Rocketcat Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Slapshot, Oct 17, 2009.

1. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Yes, the extended stats would be a cool thing. Though something like that would be nice to have in place at initial release time, so that it could keep track of all of your stats starting from day one. I'm not sure if I'd want to see how many hours I have actually spent playing this game, hmm.

2. Twiddle

Twiddle Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    As someone else said, you can now have a make of 20 mb, as TouchArcade posted. Add in-game music. Do it. Hurry. Time is ticking. Possibly 2 or 3 songs to switch from while playing would be great. :D

Haha, I was thinking exactly the same thing. If I saw that I played for 40+ hours, I would probably rethink my hobbies. :)

3. zoo

zoo Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Actually I was grinding my teeth and almost crushed my 12th Red Bull can of the day as I was typing it. :mad:

The rest of your post was good, too. I agree on the momentum thing - when every other level set I've played involves racing as quickly as possible to the finish, I don't want to suddenly have to stop, and walk around shooting when I play the Minigore set. If I wanted that, I'd play a different game. With that said, I plan to pester the developers of Angry Birds to incorporate a wholly unnecessary rhythm game add-on. :cool:

I requested ridiculous amounts of stats earlier in this thread. A 'time played' figure would be great/depressing. Hooks thrown, gallons of lava swallowed, the more the better. And definitely some catchy, pressure building in-game chiptunes.

4. Kosikutioner

Kosikutioner Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Man Angry Birds latest update rocked. Almost doubled the levels! Another great game I love... It's no Hook Champ, but I love it.

5. misfitskater6

misfitskater6 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Hey Kepa, you mentioned in a previous post that it was important (understandably) to be able to download your games over the air and thereby keeping them under 10 mb. Now that this limit has been increased to 20 mb, will this have any effect on Hook Champ or Avalanche Game?

6. Kosikutioner

Jan 6, 2009
    To save Kepa some time. Just posted on twitter these 2.

"20 MB as the new download limit? Wow, that changes things a lot. If not for Hook Champ (need to think about this), then the next game.

We're thinking Previews are one month away for the next game, then the actual release a few weeks after. If everything goes well."

7. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    #3447 Kepa, Feb 18, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
    That does change a lot. I'm not quite sure on doing more music for Hook Champ (there's some issues here), but now we can definitely plan a lot more for the next game.

Edit: Maybe have all future level sets have music? That might be cool.

8. qpawn

qpawn Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Game Developer
    California, USA
    There's no need to walk and shoot anything. Just hook through the levels. The first two don't require shooting. The last two you'll need to shoot through some blocks. You can keep your precious momentum. :p

9. SirDarkened

SirDarkened Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Ha srsly?
    Where do I live?
    #3449 SirDarkened, Feb 19, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2010

That was me. I'm hoping for music as well. Just 1 to cover all CURRENT stages, you can have unique music stages later! :).

How is music across the board an issue :(. I was really hoping for this as soon as I saw the 20MB upgrade I was like !!! Hook Champ should now add music tracks!

10. Twiddle

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    Yeah, well if it was you, you're a smart man. :)

I was talking 3 songs that play on all maps, because 1 song might get a *bit* repetitive.

If you can't fit 3, then 2, if you can't fit 2, then 1. :D

11. SirDarkened

Dec 20, 2009
    Ha srsly?
    Where do I live?
    I completely agree with that. I don't see how a looping song that plays in every level can be so hard to implement. Honestly I know how to map for Counter Strike and putting in a looping song is so simple... Dunno that's just me though.

EDIT: For now I play Hook Champ with no headphones. Unless I just want to listen to the title theme. Is that available on iTunes by any chance?

12. Kosikutioner

Jan 6, 2009
    I think that is over simplifying. You didn't actually program the game to accept that easily, Valve did that. They made it simple for you to do so. Kepa has said their big mistake was NOT building Hook Champ in a modular manner, so it must be programmed in a closed way, making it hard to insert new things like music.

I'm obviously sorta guessing here, but that's how I understand it.

I want stuff for Hook Champ sure, but I'd rather have Avalanche game be better, and if that means less updates for Hook Champ... I'm all for that.

13. poutini

poutini Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Student
    Calgary
    That. Despite my all-consuming love for Hook Champ, I want to see Rocketcat succeed with Avalanche. And I don't think music is essential - I like the silence of the caves - only cut through by the sound of a hook. It's glorious as is.

14. Kosikutioner

Jan 6, 2009
    I presume you are watching Team Canada playing poutini? I hope? What are they doing?!

15. poutini

poutini Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Student
    Calgary
    gaaaaah

16. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Yeah, it's way harder to add anything than it should be. We didn't think ahead enough on making the game modular and easy to update. I would like more music, though, it just might not be music for all the old levels. Need to figure out how much time it will take out of our schedule, contact the musician, etc.

17. SirDarkened

Dec 20, 2009
    Ha srsly?
    Where do I live?
    It's cool I guess its understandable. I'd like some kind of new music track in atleast one of the level sets, I hope that's understandable.

18. Twiddle

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    Well, hopefully your musician will already have some extra songs hanging around that he can whip out.

It would probably be less work to do if there was just 1-3 songs looped on every levelset, instead of a song for every levelset. I know a few games that run with 1 looped song the whole game, and the song somehow manages not to get repetitive. I also know a few games that have 3 songs looped, and they don't get repetitive at all.

Another possibility would be have 3 different songs, and one of the three songs would be picked for each levelset.

For example: There would be the same intense song for Bull, Skull, and Hat levels.

There would be a trance-like song for Bat, and Frog, and an energetic song for Rat, Monkey, Wimpy, and Minigore levelsets.

19. omgsars

omgsars Member

Jan 28, 2010
    your posts sound like you're a lawyer or PR rep for rocketcat.

20. Twiddle

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    Shut your mouth or I'm going to sue you. I've never lost a case, so watch what you say! :D