Has iphone gaming now on par with PSP and DS?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by ianlow32, Nov 2, 2010.

1. alchemistrpm

alchemistrpm Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2010
    FPS and Racing, yes. Action, Fighting & Sports... I like my buttons. Lucky for us, we've seen lots of games from those three genres tailored very well to the iPhone's controls. Chinatown, SFIV, Fifa...

Gotta love the gyroscope for FPS :)

2. marker1c

marker1c Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2010
    Philipines
    I was thinking that iPhone gaming is finally coming to be up par with psp gaming until God of War GOS shattered it.

3. acrotran

acrotran Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2010
    The iPod Touch is the most important gaming platform. iPhones have too much other functionality, so they don't get used as much for games.

4. Gza1244

Gza1244 New Member

Oct 28, 2010
    New York
    Ios ftw!!

I feel games like archtype, Galaxy on fire 2, Space Miner 1 and 2, and the soon to be released project sword. As well as Aralon is really shaping up the IOS platform as to go system for a versatile and amazing game experience, regardless of casual or hardcore gaming. Also can't wait for ultrakid :)-).

5. Iphonerox

Iphonerox Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    Defiantly. Iphone is so much more convenient. Some people could literally spend there life on it, call/text then listen to some music while you play your favorite games, ect. And gameloft is really bumping the level by making copies of console games with nearly the same quality.

6. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

Not until they can extend the battery life they can't.

7. Stirolak26

Stirolak26 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Check out what else they have been working on:
    http://kotaku.com/5679450/knights-of-the-crystals-is-final-fantasy-for-facebook

8. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    I'd say the PSP/DS systems have much more AAA titles.

But when it comes down to pure fun, which is what I play games for I've had just as much fun with my iPod as I have on my DS/PSP.

Sure I play more on my PSP now, but that doesn't erase all the fun I've had in the past with my iPod.

9. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    It's like they're trying out every single game type and idea out there hinge they'll strike gold somewhere in there.

10. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    Imagine how awesome it would be if they released the ds ff 4 remake On the idevices with even smoother graphics (also 3d). I wonder why they didn't just do that instead of releasing the ff 1 and 2 remakes from the psp? I think it would have sold more than them IMO.

11. donner

donner Well-Known Member

If you're jailbroken and have emulators, the ios platform becomes much more enjoyable. The retina display makes 16bit titles look gorgeous and crisp.

12. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    The thing about e iPad which is a big deal is that it has an awesome battery life compared to the iphone4 thus high intensity games would be no problem on it that ordinarily suck up battery life on iPhones. Also the larger screen and more comfortable position of it with the cover which everyone pretty much as, makes it much better for longer gaming sessions. Oh and you don't have to strain your eyes as bad or worry about covering the speakers and sound with your fingers like u do on iPhone.

13. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    #33 dumaz1000, Nov 2, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
    Unless the ceiling for the appstore rises above 9.99, the answer is no. Unless the appstore marketplace grows to better support truly premium titles, then the answer is no. Without the support of the vast majority of major developers, companies like Gearbox and Bioware, the answer is no. Unless higher end games start routinely selling for 19.99 or more, then the answer is no. When the 3DS comes out, it will CRUSH the iphone as a hardcore gaming device. However, the iphone will continue to pull in a huge amount of casual gamers. I'm not saying that the 3DS will be more successful overall than the iphone. Maybe it will and maybe it won't. But the 3DS will be much more successful with hardcore/dedicated gamers.

14. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    price point has nothing to do with it. Devs will sell games for what they need to sell them for to make a good profit and the gamers will buy good games. 99 cents, 9.99, 29.99...it doesn't matter.

The iphone is exactly what I have always wanted in a portable gaming device. I don't know why anyone would want to sit and play a game at home on a portable system for hours on end...I'll do that on my PS3 or PC (or Wii or Gamecube). In a portable device I want games that I can pick up and play for short periods when I have a few minutes to kill. The fact that it also serves as my cell phone, calculator, map, etc etc seals the deal. I've got a DS. Flat out, I think it sucks and I wish I'd never bought it. I guess I, along with millions and millions of other gamers, just am not all that "hardcore." Boo hoo hoo... :(

15. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    Yes.

[​IMG]

16. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    There is no ceiling. Square priced chaos rings at 18 bucks for ipad and 13 for iphone, and some people like that super meat boy creator priced games at even 300 bucks for a while. and if Apple markets it right, the iPad can become a hardcore gaming device as well due to its long battery life and screen size advantage over the 3ds (it can do augment reality and 3d as well as can the iphone).

17. ianlow32

ianlow32 Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    i am not so sure that 3ds can make that much impact at this stage of the game, its all about developer support and judging from most of the comments here, ios has the bulk of dev support it seems, perhaps not the AAA guys like bioware and blizzard, but i feel eventually they will come.

just like id and epicgames now moving rage and infinity blade here, n whoever has tried epic citadel will know, enginewise, iphone 4 with retina is not only the best looking tech on any handheld, it actually looks as good as a home console or pc engine for unreal.

the thing is, it is not going to take bioware and folks to jump ship overnight, they have invested in other platforms and need to see out those cycles. but i believe every major dev will definitely be monitoring ios progress carefully in order not to lose out on the vast opportunities afforded by the appstore

18. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    I'm not really interested in the 3DS(unless a portable Symphonia is announced *sigh*), but the developer support for the 3DS has been great so far.

19. Tashawn

Tashawn Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2010
    I actually enjoyed reading these post. I agree psp games are longer but what do you expect from a buck or so game? I love the fact that my phone is also my portable gaming device, not only that though it's also a mini pc. (Mac if you want to say.) Applications is/was something I think the psp was lacking. I had cfw on the psp, the community was the reason I stayed. I created portals and homebrew also, that was the closest thing we had to usercreated stuff. Anyways to the psp get an upgrade it will always fall behind. The software is too outdated.

20. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Surpassed them. I play the iPhone more than all of my other handhelds combined. The iPad is the future.