iPad Hang Line - grappling hooks, avalanches and exploding goats.

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by edform, Feb 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. edform

edform New Member

Feb 21, 2018
    Game Developer
    UK
    #1 edform, Feb 21, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    [​IMG]

Hi!

I'm the developer for Hang Line and I wanted to share a little bit of my progress.

Hang Line is an extreme physics climbing game where you use a grappling hook to swing up dangerous mountains, avoiding all kinds of hazards from angry mountain goats to avalanches and explosives. It's basically what you would get if Super Meat Boy and Spiderman went on safari on a snowy mountain :D

My aim was to make a game that was extremely easy to pick up but had a lot of mastery and tons of emergent gameplay. Every element in the game interacts with every other element. Goats can kick cats, cats can pounce on explosives, explosives can explode stalactites, stalactites can crush goats... When this number of systems are all interacting as the player swings and bounces around on an elastic grapple line - you never know what to expect. And to me that's what makes it special.

It's my first game as a solo developer and has been a long and difficult journey! I've been making games for 15 years at different studios, mostly console AAA, but this is the first time I've gone solo and tried to make my own game. Way harder than I thought it would be! I've been working on the game almost 2 years but it's very close now.

This video shows a level about half way through the game, which is on a mountain that is characterised by having giant boulders which must be carefully yanked free so the player can pass onwards to the top. But the local wildlife don't take kindly to climbers intruding... I hope you enjoy it!

PS. For more info or to find out when the game will be released, feel free to sign up to the newsletter here: www.hanglinegame.com

2. DS Anders

DS Anders Active Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Developer
    Sweden
    Looks cool! Just out of curiosity, how do the controls work? Do you swipe to shoot and then tap to get it to attach to the ice?

3. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Cool game character, gonna play your game as soon as it is out, wanna now how the controls work too.

Hope you have succes with your game since you worked 2 years on it alone, wow what a dedication, very impressive.

4. A Small Game

A Small Game Well-Known Member

Looking forward to playing this! I'm a big fan of rope swinging games :)
    My favourite part in the video is when the rope attaches to the goat! Looks super fun.

5. edform

edform New Member

Feb 21, 2018
    Game Developer
    UK
    Thanks for the kind comments! The controls are extremely simple - you just tap anywhere on the screen to launch the hook where you want it to go. But it will only launch out if the surface you've tapped is valid i.e. it's snow, ice or an object that you can grapple onto (rock, goat, explosive etc). That's why you see a lot of snow surfaces in the video, any part of those surfaces can be grappled. Once the hook launches out and connects, the climber will be pulled towards that point at a speed that depends on how far away it is i.e. the grapple line is elastic.

6. MetaGonzo

MetaGonzo Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Very slick; I can smell the polish from here.

Keep up the good work; I’m very much looking forward to this.

7. edform

edform New Member

Feb 21, 2018
    Game Developer
    UK
    #7 edform, Feb 22, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    Just in case anyone didn't see this yet, this is an older video I did of the game about 6 months ago that shows a lot more mechanics. The visuals and animations are a bit outdated, but it gives an idea of how some of the elements can combine together, like cats pouncing on explosives...

8. MetaGonzo

MetaGonzo Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Excellent. The part where you’re grappled to a falling rock, the player and rock fall either side of a static platform and then the player is accelerated over the platform looks very “correct” for want of a better word.

Some robust physics at work there it seems.

9. ashwyn7

ashwyn7 Active Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Just wanted to know, will this be a free to play game or a paid game. If paid game what would be the price you set for it ??

10. HEiRAVON

HEiRAVON Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2015
    Gotta have this!

Looks amazing.

11. iPAT

iPAT Member

Feb 8, 2018
    Germany
    Hopefully not a freemium game...

12. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Awesome

Congrats with what looks like an amazing game. In the past I usually stay away from games that are a bit “arcade” like as usually I am not quick enough with a touch screen for the controls with to many buttons that are hard to me on a touch screen.

Your described touch controls sounds perfect and the graphics are awesome!

I wish you success and also hope it isn’t freemium or if it is allow a f2p but also a paid version.

Out of all my gaming career since the days of pong I have not stuck to any freemium game. Even games like Pokémon go the interest got lost eventually.

Good luck and can’t wait for the release!!!!

13. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    I bet! : )

14. ZAF<3

ZAF<3 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2017
    Hello is there a possibility to join the tester list and get a testflight code of your new game? =P

15. edform

edform New Member

Feb 21, 2018
    Game Developer
    UK
    Thanks for all the kind comments!
    My current testing phase is almost done now so I'm not accepting any new beta testers at this moment, but if you sign up at www.hanglinegame.com to the newsletter, I'll keep you informed if there will be another testing phase.

The game is going to be free - it's extremely hard to find success in paid games for mobile unless you're already an established studio. But the monetisation is not invasive at all. It's mostly based on opt-in ads to recover if you fail a level, so you can completely ignore if you choose.

16. Antigollos

Antigollos Member

Mar 13, 2018
    haha! That is some real funny game play! :D

17. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010