General Apple Arcade Discussion

Discussion in 'Apple Arcade' started by Boardumb, Sep 18, 2019.

1. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @Darkfyra I’m actually quite satisfied how it is at the moment. It feels good to finally finish a game once in a while. Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate getting tons of content for my money, but lately it’s been a lot. Especially on consoles. Of course, there are extreme examples in Apple Arcade’s lineup when the game feels more like a demo than an actual game *cough Pilgrims *cough, but luckily it’s not that often. I agree some titles lack depth in terms of content, but I believe it’ll get better over time.

On the other hand, we’ve already received some fantastic games. Rich in terms of gameplay, visuals and/or content. I believe everyone has their own list of favorite games already, so giving an examples would be subjective and hence pointless. For the amount of money we spent so far and the content ratio, there’s currently no match for Apple Arcade.

stubbieoz and Wabe like this.
  2. Mike Kurrle

Mike Kurrle Active Member

Sep 18, 2019
    Male
  3. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Downloaded all 5 new games, they seem all fun to me, best week since the launch of the service so far.

4. bx59

bx59 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Super Mega Mini Party is insanely good and Monomals is super polished. Great week so far and I even haven’t checked Mosaic yet.

5. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @Draven2222 seriously? Did you have to copy/paste the same post 5 times and put into 5 separate threads to raise your concern? Wouldn’t it be enough to post it just once here, in Apple Arcade’s general discussion thread instead? Sigh...

[​IMG]

stubbieoz, adjusting and MetaGonzo like this.
  6. Draven2222

Draven2222 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2013
    #246 Draven2222, Nov 4, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    I posted the same info on multiple threads because the Devs read their reviews individually, so maybe they can do something about it.
    So seriously, no... it is not enough just to post it once here, because devs rarely come here.

BTW All 5 games support controllers.! i know because i tested them.
    All 5 games in the Appstore descriptions do not mention anything about controller support. yet they work with controllers.??..
    Like i said in my previous 'cut n paste' fest.. "It's down to us to figure out controller support or not"
    Somethings wrongs. i'm pointing it out..

7. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @Draven2222 there’s nothing wrong. You’re just overreacting. The controller support icon is a new feature on the App Store and thus is expected it needs time for everyone to get used to it. Especially the developers.

I agree that ATM it’s on us to figure out if the particular game has controller support or not. So what? It’s a matter of a single question. If you need to be sure before downloading the game. How difficult is that? Not to mention, with iOS 13 and its full support of 3rd party controllers it’s pretty much a common sense to expect that almost every new game will support them by default. And if not, players can raise their concern (as they did in the past) and developers can eventually add this feature in the next update.

As I wrote earlier. From my point of view you’re just overreacting. Majority of iOS users won’t use controller anyway. I’m playing games with inverted Y-axis. Should I demand an icon that confirms this option is in the game? And believe me, it’s a much bigger deal than a controller support.

Anyway. I’m not saying you shouldn’t raise your concern. All I’m asking is for you to stop spamming multiple threads with the same copy/pasted wall of text. I’m coming to this forum always excited for new messages. Imagine my disappointment to realize instead of reactions and thoughts about newly released games it’s the same complaint in multiple threads. I don’t appreciate it. If you feel it’s such a big deal, reach out to developers directly. It’s an option on the App Store and it’s always been there. Thank you in advance.

stubbieoz and adjusting like this.
  8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    He’s already been warned. You are not allowed to copy paste posts across multiple threads at TouchArcade — we call that spamming.

At this point, I assume that any game on Apple Arcade supports controllers. Since you can easily find out by downloading the game, I’m not sure what the big deal is (unless, of course, you are dealing with data caps).

stubbieoz, adjusting and macplash like this.
  9. Draven2222

Dec 16, 2013
    #249 Draven2222, Nov 5, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    So to find out if a game supports controllers u both suggest downloading the game?? ..lol....get real.... so i do that for every game do i? some games are 3Gig!.. hardly a solution is it..??? why have it a feature if it doesnt work 90% of the time?.
    There would not be any complaints if it worked... but it doesn't ..its broken..i'm pointing it out. thats all.
    BTW i believe i was not spamming...intentionally...here's my explanation: i posted several times to EACH developer.. now if u take a look at the 5 threads i posted to EACH developer 2 of them have replied and are looking into it.. NOW i call that progress, don't you?
    If i posted in general chat, i get no response, Dev's are mainly only concerned about THEIR game, and what people think about it.so they have their threads "watched" so they can respond to them.
    This is the reason for posting multiple times. one for each DEV thread, i believe this is not spamming.. i am not in the nature of spamming, i know it's an issue on forums. i run several myself.
    HISTORY REPEATING ITSELF

U see the problem before was "exposure" when MFi Game controllers got supported in iOS7 way back.. NO-ONE knew u could use a game controller to play a supported game. Apple didnt mention it. Developers had no idea...Hardware manufacturers went out of business because of it,,..It failed, the regular Apple glass tappin gamer had no idea about controller support.
    Now today, iO13 comes along.. XBX1 and PS4 dualshock controllers are supported, and i start to see the same thing repeat itself.
    Apple/Devs not bothering to tell Gamers that the game can be played with a controller...
    Do you know 90% of current apple arcade games support controllers, yet only 9 games tell you they support em.?
    The last 5 apple arcade releases.. no info.
    Lets see what happens next week's release, when i need download G's worth of games to see if they support a controller or not as u "wisely" suggest that this is the solution.

10. Capronissimo71

Capronissimo71 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Male
    Italy
    New bunch of games today?

11. Wabe

Wabe Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Five new games every Friday? - 260 a year. Is it really possible to keep that up?
    Both in the producing them and the palying them stakes.

Fun trying though.

12. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Well, games are coming out weekly either way. It’s just a matter of Apple producing (funding) certain titles by developers who most probably already had these games in their pipeline. That said, I have absolutely no doubt the rate at which these games are coming out will slow down substantially over time.

This is a controversial opinion, but I don’t think launching with 70 titles was a good move. I’ve literally played about a dozen titles in the last month and a bit, and I’m quickly losing interest in exploring the ‘older’ titles. Had they launched with, say, 20 titles, and released 5 a week over the next few months, I would be much more inclined to try them all out.

drpalland and stubbieoz like this.
  13. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    This is exactly the reason I took totally different approach with a long-term involvement in mind. From the very first day I knew I’m gonna keep the subscription running so I didn’t have a necessity to rush into multiple games at once. I’m confident to say I didn’t try even half of the current lineup yet. There are titles I’m just saving for the right moment. Oceanhorn 2, Cat Quest 2, Mini Motorways, most of the adventure category etc. So it’s impossible for me to lose interest in these “older titles“ at all. On the contrary. I’m looking forward to them more than ever. Probably when the influx of weekly new games slows down significantly.

14. Capronissimo71

Sep 5, 2011
    Male
    Italy
    And the new games are out!!
    U.F.O on Tape: First Contact......Yeah!!

15. tandiblue

tandiblue Member

Mar 17, 2016

I'm seeing the new six games out

1. Discolored (looks interesting)
    2. Guildlings
    3. Marble It Up: Mayhem!
    4. Sociable Soccer
    5. Takeshi and Hiroshi
    6. UFO on Tape: First Contact

16. Capronissimo71

Sep 5, 2011
    Male
    Italy
    Sociable Soccer will become my new addiction!!

17. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    I thought as well, but after finishing tutorial and going online, it seems like any other free to play card collecting game full of upgrades. I don’t understand how is this a right fit for Apple Arcade. Maybe I’m missing something.

Also, UFO on Tape is nothing I was hoping for. I mean, I didn’t even know what to expect. The cinematic trailer didn’t give any clues about actual gameplay. But I most certainly wasn’t expecting standing in the middle of the room chasing ufo using tilt controls.o_O

18. Capronissimo71

Sep 5, 2011
    Male
    Italy
    Well, i hoped for something else but it’s good anyway!

19. Draven2222

Dec 16, 2013
    3 outta 6!, not bad this week! but do the other 3 actually have controller support?

20. drpalland

drpalland Active Member

Nov 9, 2019
    Male
    Six new games!

I spent several hours playing the new games, especially Guildings and Discolored. I love the feel of Discolored, but Guildings is a touch - how should I put this? - “childlike” in some manner. I know it is going for that innocent charm factor, but it feels like I’m playing my niece’s game on her iPad - she’s two.

Quick question - I know PS4 and Xbox One controllers are compatible, but where would I find a MFi controller? What else may I use that’s generic?

Favorite games thus far:

1. Jenny LeClu
    2. NeoCab
    3. Grindstone (Obsessed!)
    4. Discolored
    5. Pilgrims
    I tried Mosaic but oh dear gawd it was such a slow game that I gave up on it.