Football Heroes - (Run Games LLC)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by MMarzola, Sep 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MMarzola

MMarzola Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Game Developer
    Los Angeles
    We will be offering power ups, additional plays, coin doublers and XP boosters in the store. . All these items can be purchased by grinding and earning coins, this where the LOL comparasion comes from.

2. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Will there be advertisements? Additional plays; how does that work? I understand developers want to give the impression players are getting a fair product; but I would prefer not to grind to avoid purchasing freemium items and skirt financially supporting a game. You might consider issuing a higher priced premium edition also.

3. turakm

turakm Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    This game looks great! Very excited for this one. Finally a good football game

4. MMarzola

Sep 7, 2012
    Game Developer
    Los Angeles
    Football Heroes will be released during the 2013 American football season. We are aiming to release the game early during the season.

5. Essex

Essex Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    This. Even though you'll get a ton of downloads with a free version of Football Heroes, there are some of us who would prefer to support your efforts with an outright purchase. Trust me, not everyone who downloads your game will be willing to spend money, especially if they don't have to in order to unlock what they want (see, "Punch Quest"). Maybe you could offer exclusive playbooks to those who purchase the premium version, or more customization options (gloves, shoes, logos, etc.).

Basically, don't give away everything for free.

6. MMarzola

Sep 7, 2012
    Game Developer
    Los Angeles
    This is a great idea and one that the team is super interesting in exploring. We know that certain players will just want to play the game without the feeling of being bothered by freemium mechanics. We are mindful of this and hope that we walk this delicate line.

7. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #87 undeadcow, Apr 2, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
    Duplicate post; sorry

8. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    To be clear my hypothetical "perfect scenario," although it's totally not up to me, is not necessarily anti-freemium but two fold:

1. I want to ensure that I pay a fair price to support the developer; even if the game is free without compulsory IAP I would still feel like I should be ensuring reasonable financial gain (but would remain adversed to consumable IAP) otherwise it feels like I'm exploiting the developer's "generosity."

2. You seem sensitive that I don't want to feel pestered by ads or comstant reminders of IAP; however optional... just want good old fashioned gameplay.

9. MMarzola

Sep 7, 2012
    Game Developer
    Los Angeles
    Yeah f2p can be a really hard thing to do right. Does anybody have any examples of good f2p or freemium games that they like? And why do you like them?

10. Essex

Essex Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    RE: Controls

@Football Heroes devs: Take a look at the thread for "The Other Brothers". Please don't let this happen with your game. In sum, the devs of "The Other Brothers" thought they'd developed revolutionary touch controls. When the game was released, people generally hated the controls. Pocketgamer panned the game mainly because of control issues. The dev is scrambling to add a "fixed" d-pad. The damage, however, is done. "The Other Brothers" is now known as a good game with bad controls. All the devs had to do to avoid all of this criticism was include more than one control option.

Please do not let this happen to Football Heroes! I don't care how awesome, simple, or intuitive your control scheme is; just add on-screen controls as a secondary option. I will harp on this point until you guys are tired of hearing it because I don't want you to make the same mistake that too many devs make. When I finally get a chance to beta test (when the iPad build is ready) I will be all up in ya grilles with feedback. I will be hyper-critical (within reason) because I want this game to kick ass from day one.

11. MMarzola

Sep 7, 2012
    Game Developer
    Los Angeles
    Yes, I do agree with you that choice is key, but we are a very small developer, getting alternative control schemes in a touch screen game is a decent bit of work. We know that this is can be a sticking point and we want is many people to enjoy the game as possible. For me this ultimately comes down to playtesting, which we do a lot of on our team. If people are struggling with controls during playtests and are asking for alt control schemes, then we have a problem and we will adress this immediately as the player is always King!

The new control scheme is something we iterated on and arrived at based on playtesting. We will continue to do this up until release.

12. Essex

Essex Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Fair enough :) I just don't want to see you guys get blindsided like "The Other Brothers" devs. Too much is at stake.

13. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    The other brothers, dark incursion, flying daggers....
    Some of the best games on iOS. All taken down a notch by "revolutionary" controls and/or no options for changing the controls. I understand it can be a chore to program in the options. Considering it could mean the difference between a successful game and a commercial flop, it's worth considering.

14. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #94 undeadcow, Apr 6, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
    Is this talk of botched controls hypothetical or is there reason to be concerned about Football Heroes?
    This is what bothers me... as a consumer I don't see a "delicate line" either a game is freemium or premium. Some games with "fair" IAP (like Aurum Blade or Punch Quest) just let you play them free without forced puchases (which seems unfair to the developer). I'm typing this while waiting for my energy points refresh in Injustice; and that's a drag. Would you elaborate on the freemium model for Football Heroes?

15. Essex

Essex Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    At this point, the discussion of controls is purely hypothetical. Once I get my hands on the iPad beta, I'll be able to give more concrete, constructive feedback. I am harping on the importance of providing options for different control types because I don't want to see this game get poor ratings because of controls. To be fair, TA did say that the game controls well. I'll shut up until I get my hands on the iPad beta :)

16. MMarzola

Sep 7, 2012
    Game Developer
    Los Angeles
    Sure in Football Heroes when you play games and your players level up you earn coins. With those coins you can buy new abilities/perks, players or plays. You can also buy items such as coin doublers and Xp doublers. The more games you plays, the more coins you earn the cooler stuff you can buy.

NO TIMERS, NO PAYWALLS, NO WAITING TO PLAY, PLAY FOR FREE FOREVER!

17. MMarzola

Sep 7, 2012
    Game Developer
    Los Angeles
    Update front page with Touch Arcade Interview and upcoming Playtest

I have updated the front page with the Touch Arcade Hands-On Demo from GDC.

Touch Arcade hands-on with Football Heroes @GDC

In addition we are collecting names for a playtest that will be coming up soon. Let me know if you are interested by posting here and sending me a PM with your Testflight account.

Thanks and let me know if you have any questions

18. turakm

turakm Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    pm sent!

19. Essex

Essex Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Just to confirm, Kickstarter backers are included in play testing correct? I've already set up my Test Flight account with Run Games. So excited!!

20. MMarzola

Sep 7, 2012
    Game Developer
    Los Angeles
    I am surprised that you have not already received a playtest build via Testflight :eek:

Could you PM your Testflight account email so I can try and figure out why you have not received a build?

This makes me sad and we will resolve this for sure!