iPad Fieldrunners (by Subatomic Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by AznChaos, Oct 5, 2008.

1. XOrlandoPX

XOrlandoPX Member

Sep 21, 2008
    Student
    WipeoutHD is the best game on earth !!! lol For now ...

2. lw1234

lw1234 Active Member

Sep 5, 2008
    The game ends automatically after lvl 100. I made it with 2 hearts left. It's by no means easy. Such a cool game!

3. mek

mek Well-Known Member

i kept thinking, like wow, something with extremly large legs is going to come out, walk all over my defenses, and that will be the end to it...

that would be an amazing ending if it has to end at level 100...I am @ level 90...barely hanging on

4. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    I don't know about that... I can't stop eating wall =(

5. dudehuge

dudehuge Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    I'm waiting for the inevitable markdown in 2 weeks :)

6. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    Dont be so sure about that. This is one high quality game that will get some publicity, i hope. It is very fun

7. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    the developer's posted a video, and I have one processing also

8. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I just beat level 100 on easy mode. I'm almost afraid to try the harder modes.

This game is completely worth $5. It'd be worth ten. If you're waiting for a price, you're probably SOL.

The updates sound great too.

9. break5

break5 Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    what does SOL mean?

10. break5

break5 Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    does that mean a review's coming?

11. arn

arn Administrator

Apr 19, 2008
    ya, review is coming. Though, I think it reflects what people have said here.

- great produciton value
    - fun game
    - lots of gameplay time per session

- no sound, no music
    - only one field, could use more variability for long term play

the updates will make this a killer game, I think. Right now, I think more for tower-defense fans.

I'll post once the video gets processed.
    arn

12. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    "Shit out of luck." Sorry, I grew up in the Midwest.;)

13. gospel9

gospel9 Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    #53 gospel9, Oct 6, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2008

When I emailed the Devs about the updates, he said yes to everything I requested :) Which sounds really great.. and was told that there is a very large set of features they are adding in the next update.

Great.

After beating level 100, how do you feel? Were you longing for something more? I mean it isn't like MotionX Poker where there are things to actually come back to play for, despite how repetitive and simple that game is, the rewards are there to keep you coming back. This is what I would love to see in a game like this.

When I asked the developers about unlocking towers and or units / machines, he said that was a good idea... so I am looking forward to that one as well.

Awesome footage! Thanks.
    How did you get video out from the iphone?... sorry if this was a stupid question.
    The videos are from composite video cables from a dock?

14. lw1234

lw1234 Active Member

Sep 5, 2008
    I definitely was left wanting more after beating level 100, but I was also satisfied. I do want more towers, but the steep price for the electrifying tower makes me wish you got more money per kill, or a round completion bonus (like in Mote-M) so you can buy even more towers. I wish there were slightly more animated deaths, like a helicopter crash or something, but so far it rocks.

15. arn

arn Administrator

Apr 19, 2008
    That was the developer. he must have gotten the video off of the iPhone development simulator.

I've uploaded my version which shows highlights from a full game:

http://toucharcade.com/2008/10/06/fieldrunners-delivers-a-very-polished-tower-defense-game/

Forgive the gameplay. I never played much tower-defense, so not completely sure of the strategy yet. :)

arn

16. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    so I beat level 100 with 9 left. Beat that. Worth 5 bucks? Ehh. But fun? You bet your a** it is. With the upcoming updates, it could easily be worth 5 bucks. Tip: save up for the lightning one, and have one every couple turrets. Also make sure you mix up the turrets a bit. They all help contribute. God, how I hate those helicopters. I had 13 hearts left before level 99. But those goddamn helicopters.

17. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Loved the vid posted on the main site, convinced me to buy this!

18. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    Beating it on easy mode wasn't that challenging, but normal mode is much more difficult. Especially those freakin helicopters (you'll see) It definitely takes some strategy to do well. That open kind of strategy makes it very compelling.

Easy mode can be looked at as a practice mode. I still think it's well worth the money. Moving up a difficulty level makes a big difference. The replay value is as good as I could hope. If I wasn't going to bed I'd probably try again (it has auto save, by the way).

19. gospel9

gospel9 Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Yea the video on the main site has convinced me as well haha..
    I bought it and finished easy mode, and made it to level 85 in normal..

For someone who dosen't play games regularly to have spent a couple of hours on this thing since purchase... I say it was very well done.

Although I do wish they could tweak it a little more, and add the sounds, music, and extra stuff to unlock to keep people playing it.

Let's all hope they put in quality sound effects now :)

20. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    What if you already have Mote-M? Does this version of the game do anything better then Mote-M other then graphics?