Universal Escape From Chernobyl (by Atypical Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Brightsiderus, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Koemi Bear

Koemi Bear Active Member
    Patreon Gold

Oct 25, 2017
    Female
    United States
    This. Of the hundred or so games I have on my iPad, only three of them are free to play games. Usually if they are free to play, I hardly give them a second look. (I know not fair but being honest.) I do not have a lot of time to spending gaming anymore, part of the reason I switched to the mobile platform, but I do pick up as many premium games as I can, just to support the developers. My first game was Radiation City, purchased it at release. I would play for a couple of hours, and then just get stuck, confused, or discouraged from playing. Last week I finally sat down and concentrated on the game and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!! It is one of my favorite games on mobile in the fps/survival genre. I will definitely be picking up this one, and I hope that in the future we receive more wonderful premium games from you. From the bottom of my heart thank you @dotout and team. <3

Son of Anarchy and djstout like this.
  2. dbagga84

dbagga84 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    It would on one like this that starts linear and opens up. Also on open world games for the free to try they go with a timer, try it for 1 hr and then the game locks up until you buy. Sure you can get around it but really if you’re only playing 1 hr at a time and having to start over everytime.. you’re gonna buy it.

3. dbagga84

May 22, 2013
    I don’t have time for an in-depth review of the 2 hours I spent playing but if anything gets said right here and now until I get home and can sit and write out a review, the controls on a controller need a bit of work. If you can add an option to allow us to set what buttons to what that’d be best but, real quick. Please remove the “push A” and wherever you’re pointing the reticle you move there, it makes picking stuff up difficult. I don’t need to push A to move anywhere because well we have thumbsticks for that. Also the action button (or shoot/attack) in my opinion should be right trigger not right bumper, right bumper makes more sense for the flashlight, in a painic I keep turning the flashlight off in stead of attack. The menu button and stuff is all good, I’d like a button to toggle run/walk and another to toggle crouch, but since the Nimbus doesn’t have R and L 3 buttons I’d probably set run/walk to up on the D-pad and crouch/stand to down on the D-pad while keeping left and right as cycle the hotbar. After this I’m sure you can see why allowing us to customize control inputs is probably the best way to go. Customizing touch controls is fine though.

squarezero likes this.
  4. dbagga84

May 22, 2013
    Ok I suppose now is an ok time to give a small review. I already covered controls, see post above. Gameplay. And this is pre-update balancing difficulty, I haven’t played yet since I updated. The game started out a little too hard. I died twice before my encounter with the first zombie lol. I found myself pumping points into radiation resistance immediately otherwise I have no idea how I’d survive. But one part about that i like is that it adds to how intense it can be. Running through these dark halls and building rubble, heart pounding because my radiation meter is off the charts the screens flashing everything is getting hazy and finally in a deep corner I find radiation pills, use them and I’m ok for a short time. Keep in mind the more radiation poison you have coursing through your body the weaker you are to zombie attacks and I believe it also affects your stamina bar. It’s creepy and scary. After pushing through it started getting a little easier but I did notice that the auto difficulty setting put mine all the way down lol probably because I kept dying. But either way I had fun. The story is a little light but intriguing. After like 2.5 hrs of play I haven’t really found a use for crouching and being quiet, it doesn’t seem to work well unless you’re sneaking up directly behind a zombie but if you try to sneak passed one it’s always spotted me off to the side. I encountered what I’m assuming was the first “boss” 2 zombie workers in yellow suits but the game gave me a gun with some ammo right before to dispatch them so it wasn’t too bad, plus I had a shot gun I found early in the game just no ammo but there were shot gun shells scattered through out that room so I had little trouble. I haven’t seen much in terms of different types of enemies, mainly just the same stuff from the previous games. I would have loved to see some different beasts deep inside Chernobyl versus the stuff on the outside. In no way is this a bad game though I have thoroughly enjoyed what I’ve played so far and fans of the previous 2 games, more so City over Island should enjoy it too. No hunger or third system, thank god. Less realistic but significantly less annoying too. I don’t want to run around scavenging for food and water I want to scavenge for clothes and weapons lol. Oh as far as I can tell there’s no way to manually save your game, so I would really love that to be added in too, I never know when my last save was and sometimes I gotta just shut down and go do other stuff, I don’t wanna log back on later and find I gotta do the last 5 minutes over again. Anyways I’m not sure if there’s much else I can say, it’s fun, creepy, scary, it has its problems but every game does, crafting is light like City. So I say stop here and go buy ;)

5. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    oh please don't give up on us (premium users). i bought all your games and enjoy some but never complained. i email you guys a couple of time only about bugs and fixes. radiation island is one of the best games from you guys that i enjoyed along with battle supremacy. so please, learn more from the community and give out your best that anyone will never forget or just leave and join the dark side(its your choice though). i will support you guys no matter what.

Cooper04 likes this.
  6. dotout

dotout Active Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Male
    Jack of all trades at Atypical Games
    Bucharest
    First of all thank you to everyone for the support and kind words, you guys over here are probably the reason it's not everything doomed already, and you just made my day(s). About the review @dbagga84 I know the pitfalls and the faults of the game more than anyone, and I thank you for over-selling this. I pack a lot of frustration for not being able to implement a more grandiose and engaging vision, also I know it's definitely not everyone's piece of pie as this one especially is a recycled game, unlike Radiation Island for example. The truth is it was intended to be part of Radiation City but it would just not fit in the iOS 2Gb limit. Making another game with the same assets and the power-plant... well, you see what we were able to do. We've definitely forced some stuff but the alternative was emptiness and nothing, I wonder if just walking around the map would appease to people, we can probably add easily an exploration mode ...

As a separate thread, it's patchwork, and we know it, but I dare say it's 5 bucks. I honestly have no clue how to evaluate the value of a game over it's price but I am not ashamed of having this experience for sale for that price-point, add to that how easy it is to get a refund for not liking it. A meal over here in east Europe is more expensive than that, it's 1 and half cheap beers at a bar. This is another aspect that free-to-play skewed dramatically, anything that is different from 0 is expensive and everyone expects the world from it.

Then again we'll definitely give some thought to the completely free with ads model, and we'll probably end up experimenting that on Android (sorry).

We'll also look into adding free-exploration mode, though I did find it boring as hell...

Cooper04 likes this.
  7. OddAlun

OddAlun Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2017
    I’m loving the game... in fact had to make room to bring back Radiation Island and Radiation City. I look forward to whatever direction Atypical Games takes... always been one of my must try/buy publishers.

Cooper04 likes this.
  8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Really liked my this. Plus it’s premium so thanks. Us Brit’s pay nearly double for the game what American users pay but I don’t mind one bit. If we don’t support quality premium games everything will be freemium

Quality game. So far so very good. Thanks for the release

Cooper04 likes this.
  9. nodoctors

nodoctors Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    just wanted to chime in that I actually want all games with large open world maps to have a confrontation free exploration mode just to walk around in and look at. Not so coincidentally, I'm a huge walking simulator fan. But I know I'm far from the only one who enjoys these types of free play modes.

Cooper04 likes this.
  10. Cooper04

Cooper04 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Male
    Stock car driver/RC car hobbyist
    Texas
    I second this! Cause although I like being terrified every time I get jumped from behind by a zombie. I do want a mode where I can just chill and walk around.

11. dotout

dotout Active Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Male
    Jack of all trades at Atypical Games
    Bucharest
    Update is live with exploration mode and some other fixes, just bear in mind it was never intended to be free roaming, which means jumping of ledges that should have killed you will probably brake the quest line, or at least make it a lot more hard to solve. It's near the difficulty slider in the options.

nodoctors and Cooper04 like this.
  12. Cooper04

May 31, 2018
    Male
    Texas
    Alright sounds good to me! I have turned it on last afternoon and it’s more my play style. Also *spoiler alert* I found a AK47 ammo clip and that made me really happy to know that there’s an ak on here.

13. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    To the dev, I love your work, your first game was amazing, your second was good and this one looks so cool! I’ll get it to support you, I love supporting devs who are working their a*** to produce wonderful premium games like this one. I am so fed up with all the f2p garbage on iOS, EA was a great developer but EA changed its policy and is now developing F2P crap only. Thank you for keeping the good old gaming vibe alive and thanks to all the devs who are doing the same!

Cooper04 likes this.
  14. Cooper04

May 31, 2018
    Male
    Texas
    Does anyone know if the elephants foot is in this game?

15. nkx

nkx Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015
    I’m 10 hours into this game and it just keeps getting better. I’m now outside of the plant and looking for parts to fix the train. I own all three in the radioactive series. I like all 3 great job attpical! I like how this one is more adventure than crafting it suits the atmosphere! Overall great game I hope you guys don’t go freemium. Anyone on the fence it’s worth the five dollars if you willing to play past the first few hours.

16. nkx

nkx Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015
    I just want to add this is a nice add on edition from radioactive city!