iPad DoubleDragon - (by Bow Mobile Corporation)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Liberty Wings

Liberty Wings Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2010
    I think I was like 5 when I first played this game.

decades later now I can play this on my cellphone...amazing

2. Jenohart

Jenohart Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2010
    Australia
    ANOTHER update, beating the game again (on normal) unlocked Burnov and another set of henchmen, it must be playthrough # based (too many character slots for it to be difficulty based).

I'm liking it so far, but again, buttons are a tad small and unresponsive. The extra characters have different moves, but fewer than the two main characters.

Protip, play as Billy (or Bimmy as I like to call him) and spam jump+attack and Jump+down+attack.

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    So does the game save your progress ? Surely it does because of the extra unlockable characters etc

Just i completed level 1, then quit. Went back to it later and had to start all over again ?

Still loving it, as someone else said above having Double Dragon on this small ipod is amazing

4. Jenohart

Oct 29, 2010
    Australia
    #64 Jenohart, Mar 3, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
    Of course it saves progress, but unfortunately there is no mid-playthrough saving. I guess you'll just have to background it when you need to take a break.

EDIT: Woah
    So, is s/he like this game's Poison?

5. Jetjet

Jetjet Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    Was original soundtrack of the game here in this version ?

6. xxvi

xxvi Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2010
    was hopeing for old 8bit style,:mad: bring on river ransom:D

7. Jenohart

Oct 29, 2010
    Australia
    #67 Jenohart, Mar 3, 2011
    This game is based off the Zeebo Double Dragon!!!!

Everyone, I just discovered something interesting!
    This game did not just pop out of nothing, and is not a port or even a reworked version of the original.

This game appears to be a remake/sequel of the Zeebo Double Dragon game.

Read this, sound familiar for those who have the game?

Well actually the dead giveaway is that both games are made by Brizo interactive.

So if you're looking for a nostalgic experience, you may he disappointed

8. Jenohart

Oct 29, 2010
    Australia
    #68 Jenohart, Mar 3, 2011
    I would also like to add that the iphone safari browser is the last thing you'll want to post on TA with

<_<;;

9. Dyelon

Dyelon Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2010
    WOW...thats pretty effing ridiculous...good find man, i love this forum, its geekariffic.

i dunno the games controls are so shitty its like cmon did you even test this? the dpad is tiny and strange, the buttons are in weird places with weird shapes/sizes....but i mean other than that its a solid game and DEFINITELY invokes SOME nostalgia from the DD series...but like whats with the the effect on an enemy when you strike them with the exploding rainbow colors? that sh1t is LAMEEE, nothing like old game

10. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Wow I'm pretty sure you are right I just watched a youtube video of the Zeebo version and it looks like the same game to me. That explains the four buttons as well. Also found this while I was searching I must have missed it http://toucharcade.com/2011/02/10/new-attacks-new-sprites-new-enemies-double-dragon-iphone-announced/.

Hope they fix the controls apart from that it isn't a bad game but it isn't Double Dragon either.

11. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
  12. yemi

yemi Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2011
    I see alot of complaining , is the game really that bad??

13. Jenohart

Oct 29, 2010
    Australia
    #73 Jenohart, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
    Game Impressions

I found out about the Zeebo thing from wiki and then did a google search. The game seemed to have too much content for it to just spring up out of nowhere.

The main gripe most people have about the game are the controls. Specifically the DPad and buttons are too small, and on some stages the GIGANTIC space wasting hud obscures the instant-death pits, but in my opinion it doesn't completely kill the game and is something that an update could fix (remove all that empty gray space, just make pause and weapon buttons, make the DPad and jump/crouch buttons bigger, or just let the user define the controls like so many other games).

I've unlocked all characters. You simply need to beat the game 6 times on any difficulty, each time you unlock one of the bosses and their minions. The last character you unlock is the super version of Willy (you can't play as normal machine gun Willy). I'd post a gamesave but it really isn't hard at all to unlock all characters.

A bit of advice, when playing as anyone other than Billy and Jimmy, I advise you to turn the controls to manual. The other characters generally have a much less complex move list that still mostly consists of punch/kick/crouch+direction, and it is also the only way you can use Lavis and Willy's super powerful attacks.
    Go into My Data and look at each characters movelist, but also their bio. You kinda feel bad after realizing that almost every henchmen has their own life and in some cases, wife and kids. You almost feel like a total asshole for beating them up :(

I was going to post an FAQ, but I've decided to put it on my (newly created) blog (I can't find my old blog and it was crap anyway).
    (NEW) DOUBLE DRAGON MINI FAQ HERE

Really I'm impressed at the detail that has gone into the various moves and such. It's a downright crime that Undead Island got the first page review while this has been completely ignored (no offense to Undead Island, I plan on getting it, but I think this game should have more publicity, it has a lot of content and "feels" polished in that sense).

I also gotta say, some of the dialogue, bios and achievement descriptions are pretty amusing. I like the sprites and portraits too.

14. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Damn you play a game to death ! So the game came out i think it was Sunday and less than a week later you've completed it 6 times to unlock all the characters ? Surely you wont play it much again ?

I'm taking my time with it, am enjoying it . Shame about the huge control buttons but i can just about live with that, good old skool retro game.

15. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    psj3809, the game came out 24 hours ago.

16. Jenohart

Oct 29, 2010
    Australia
    #76 Jenohart, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
    Hohoho, I just really wanted to unlock every character. IMO it is actually a fairly short game (normal for arcade beat-em-ups), which is probably why they didn't think to include mid-level saving. This game has a lot of replayability for me because of the large amount of characters, most having completely different play styles. I play it differently each time, learning the characters.

Forgot to mention, only Billy and Jimmy seem to have bonus stages, and getting EXP seems to only be worthwhile for them as it unlocks new moves and upgrades existing moves (like the jump kick which gets like a blue dragon effect). I've yet to see EXP do anything for the other characters.

17. Jetjet

Jetjet Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    so to conclude is it good or not ?

18. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    It's not bad, but it's not good either. It's decent.

19. Jetjet

Jetjet Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    As a big fan of the arcade game I think it worths the bucks ! thanks !

20. Wingy

Wingy Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    I got this yesterday and played about 3 levels and then quit.

It's ok but like a lot of people said it isnt a patch on the original. If they did the original with remixed music, retina graphics it would go down a lot better. I was a massive fan of the original being a 30 something games player.

Instead this one isn't anything special. All these fancy moves when punch, kick combo does the business. Also when you have a weapon such as the whip, you have to be sort of very close to the opponent and also be on the exact level pane otherwise it just misses then completely. Same with the barrel throw.

The combo count to get the power up is also unnecessary high.

In short I might go back to it to complete it but I wouldnt be in a rush to play it again.