Universal BioShock coming to iOS this summer. For reals!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Shadowriver, May 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Topherunhinged

Topherunhinged Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2014
    Played in on PC, played it on console. Why anyone would want a mobile port is beyond me.

2. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    #62 Echoen, Aug 4, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  3. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Wow... this is excellent news. Hard to believe it's actually happening. I initially alterted moderators to change the title topic because I didn't think it was "for reals," haha...

4. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Own it on PC. Own it on Mac. Never played past the first hour becauseI don't like playing on my laptop after spending all day working on it. I am way more likely to finish it on my iPhone. Is that within the realm of your imagination?

PS I wouldn't mind playing it on my Vita. Personally, though, I prefer FPS on a touchscreen over the Vita's dual sticks. Besides, they have yet to announce a Vita version.

5. Fastbridge

Fastbridge Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Service advisor for Honda
    NYC, New York. USA
  6. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Will probably buy it but just by looking at the two videos it seems like that the iPad Air couldn't handle it that well even with crumped down graphics. Framerate dropped far too often imo. Man, I hate it.
    I rly hope there is
    - some switches to adjust graphics, mainly resolution
    - customizable controls!

Besides that, I think it looks okay for a mobile port but it lost much of it's awesome atmosphere which was mostly delivered by dynamic lightning and these kind of things, which are non present in the iOS version.

7. meder87

meder87 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Product Development Manager
    In the world of iOS
    Fall starts officially September 22nd. Rumors is next iPhone will be announced September 16th. Its possible that this was built with the new iPhone in mind. There will probably be graphics options to select. This will run on Air and iPhone 5S the best, but will run even better on new iPad and iPhones.

8. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    For what it's worth the 2K person I talked to said they hadn't finalized what devices would be supported yet, but the list going around (iPad 4, iPad mini 2, iPhone 5 and up) sounds likely.

It might just be the videos. It looks MUCH crisper and nicer in person than any of the videos I've seen so far, and I never noticed the frames dropping at all even during moments when lots of stuff was happening.

9. RoboWarrior

RoboWarrior Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2012
    I mean the iPad 3 had difficulty playing games that are non-retina since the GPU need to push the retina display regardless of textures. Many Gameloft games are not retina textures yet still have difficulty running on iPad 3. IFB 3 uses 1024p trxtures and there's a difference between the iPad 2 and 3 in terms of framerate.

10. meder87

Mar 20, 2009
    In the world of iOS
    Makes a lot of sense. Recording while playing definitely effected the frame rate. This will be a great buy. I only played through a few hours of the game and stopped. Played Infinite and loved it.

11. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    I really hope you're right, Boardumb.

12. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

FWIW in my experience it isn't abnormal at all for a game to run like crap via video out while playing perfectly fine on the actual device. It's a particular problem for Unreal Engine games, for whatever reason.

13. Lerisbo1192

Lerisbo1192 Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2012
    hueco mundo
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...... just watched the video!! Maaaaaaan!!! I'm litterally jumping of excitement!!!!! Can't put this into words!!!!!!!!!!!

14. forenglandalec

forenglandalec Active Member

May 18, 2012
    That moment I was waiting for where getting the iPad 3 would sting a few months later when the 4 came out. This is the moment it hurts.

15. Kenan2000

Kenan2000 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2013
    Eli you think it will be optimized for iPad 4?

16. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

No idea, but I'd be very surprised if it didn't run on the iPad 4.

17. Lerisbo1192

Lerisbo1192 Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2012
    hueco mundo
    Hopefully this does really good on the store and we start getting more of those console hardcore game port! This is the first hardcore fps port from ps3/xbox 360 gen. May be other devs will want to do the same with call of duty or other popular titles!! CoD 4 would sell ridiculously on ios like many millions of copies!!

18. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    I hope that as well! ^_^

Btw, the Bioshock port was made by the same guys which have ported X-Com over to iOS.
    Soooooo, Borderlands should be next pls.......Borderlands 2 ofc. :D Hey, it's possible! :'D

19. meder87

Mar 20, 2009
    In the world of iOS
    I have it wouldn't work so well. Borderlands 2 was released for the Vita and it didn't get rated very well because of bugs and frame rate issues.

20. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Ye, I know. I dont think it would be a problem, though, given that iPad Air, Mini2 and 5S are twice as fast as the vita or even faster. Who know's. A man can dream! ^_^