iPad Babylonian Twins - The Quest for Peace in Ancient Iraq

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Touchgamer3g, Apr 8, 2010.

1. cosmos

cosmos Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Good job and thanks for the note. That just shows that even our beta testers could not find the treasures. I will give it few more days before starting giving hints. Back in the eighties we did not get any.

2. caltab

caltab Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2010
    ya, I know I read it before posting and totally disagree with your argument. The other issue is why in the world does the same game cost more, you didn't address that in your previous post(I don't think you had been asked that). You are obviously free to do what you want as a developer, but you are certainly losing this sale(and I know others) by this model.

3. Windburn

Windburn Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    The Touch Arcade review of Babylonian twins is now up on the front page!

http://toucharcade.com/2010/04/12/babylonian-twins-babylonian-twins-hd-a-puzzleplatformer-milestone-16-years-in-the-making/

Have to say, I was impressed by the remarkable standards in every facet of this game; from artwork to music to level design, it's all top notch. You guys really have struck a winner here!

I did outline a few small niggles which hopefully will be addressed in the future, but the game as a whole is easily one of the best platformers I've seen in a long time.

Well done!

4. potheadhero

potheadhero Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Developer/Student
    Has anyone played the iPad version? If so any impressions. Thanks!

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    #85 squarezero, Apr 12, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
    It's your loss, buddy. This is a game to bring up in any argument about wether the iPhone (or iPad) is a real gaming platform. One of the best, cleverest puzzle platfomers I've played anywhere.

6. MartiNZ

MartiNZ Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Yeah I think this is another point of changed expectations :). So many games are based on 'achievements' now, and so many of those are actually very easy, but when they're not it can get a bit annoying; I've been trying to think of more hiding places on levels that I haven't found treasures on yet - I'm assuming just one per level?

Yeah 80s platformers especially tended to be pretty evil. The most fun I've had in some of them was under emulation with the ability to save and load game states! For example, Jet Set Willy and Roland in Time, both not realistically possible back in the day lol.

I'll keep trying in the meantime, cheers.

7. mrcc

mrcc Well-Known Member

lol im stuck at the tutorial. u need to freeze one brother on that button to make that gate open. then u have to smash the wall but how do u get the other brother there.

8. MartiNZ

Mar 9, 2009
    On that level as far as I know you can only have one brother through the gate at a time. The palm trees are actually quite annoyingly placed for a tutorial level, and I had trouble working it out again when I went back to the tutorial looking for the last treasures.

So you just have to keep swapping which one is holding the gate open and which is through the gate ... if that helps.

9. Tikicobra

Tikicobra Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Game Impressions

I haven't played a whole lot of it yet, but so far I love it. The controls are perfect. I quickly forgot I was using a virtual pad. The gameplay is fun and the graphics and art style are excellent.

I definitely recommend it at its current price.

10. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Yes, the more I play this game, the more I love it! This is by far the best platformer I have played on my iPhone, and I am glad I picked it up. I'm still not that far -- just finished "The Holy Gardens", and have managed to find one treasure.

11. MartiNZ

Mar 9, 2009
    I assume it was the Ram in a Thicket that you found?

12. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    It looks like it was the Peace Panel -- and in the treasure list it says: Lyres of Ur.

13. MartiNZ

Mar 9, 2009
    Okay, I had forgotten where that one was. I really need to keep track :).

14. MartiNZ

Mar 9, 2009
    I've tried a few more thoughts of potential hiding places, but to no avail - including smash-zooming all around the place on the first procession street level, where I found a curious invisible ledge on the right side of the start area but could not make anything of it :(.

When you do feel like giving some hints, just the levels to find them would at least focus this obsession a bit :).

15. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    Have you found the Naram-suen (King of the Four Quarters)?

I just found that one today, and I was about to ask why the achievement wasn't showing as unlocked, but I just checked again, and it is. Phew.

16. MartiNZ

Mar 9, 2009
    Yeah that was the best-hidden one I have found. When I first found it the achievement popped up but I quit before finishing the level and the treasure didn't show up in the treasure interface - it seems you do have to finish the level to get them to.

Finishing levels again and again just keeps on increasing your 'overall game score' - I was hoping that it would be up to a certain total of all treasures and gems and such found; as it is it is meaningless having a leaderboard for it.

17. mlkaufman

mlkaufman Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Chicago
    I have to say, I understand your explanation for not doing a universal version, but the end result is that I haven't purchased either version yet.

Perhaps a better idea would have been to do a universal version for $5, and an iPhone only version for $3.

18. Vinvy

Vinvy Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Concerning the universal app discussion i saw, i just want to say thank you. I dont plan on buying an ipad(such a pointless device to me), and really dont have room on my touch for bigger files. I think in the long run universal apps are only good for a small percentage of people, Or for smaller games. Maybe down the road if you see the ipad has a market of similar size to the iphone start developing games that are universal, but for now i thibk your biggest market(people who own one device or the other) should be priority. Again, thank you, i know often the loudest voices are often from the smallest group(especially if you are on a site like TA).

19. mlkaufman

mlkaufman Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Chicago
    I agree with this. That's why I suggested they make a iPhone only version and then also include it with the more expensive iPad version. That way the iPhone people are not penalized, and the people who are paying more get a little bonus at the cost of a larger file on their iPhone.

20. Vinvy

Vinvy Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Actually that is a good idea, i didnt see your post. I hit the reply button early in the thread when i saw the developers response. Your solution makes great sense though.