Gameloft’s iPhone adaptation of The Settlers has already appeared in the App Store. The $4.99 real time strategy simulation game started out as an Amiga game back in 1993 and has since evolved through multiple iterations.
You’ve arrived in a wondrous place populated by Romans, Vikings and Mayans competing or cooperating to reach a variety of goals. These goals include occupying land, ensuring the supply of raw materials, or simply trying to create the most beautiful settlement. There is more than one path which leads to success – you can engage in trade, forge alliances, or lead your army into battle.
Gameplay is described by Gameloft:
- Gather resources and build a lively and bustling town in an ancient world. Your decisions and skill in managing and protecting your settlement will determine its fate.
- The strength of your units depends on how effectively you have built up your settlement and paid attention to the economic relationships within it.
- Three nations to govern: Conquer new territories, defeat rival armies, and establish an empire with your warriors that encompasses lands and continents.
- A huge number of parameters to manage: Dozens of building’s types, settlements, soldiers, raw materials, and much more.
- An accessible game for everybody, thanks to extensive tutorial missions and multi-touch gameplay, ideal for strategy games.
Early impressions are starting to trickle into the discussion thread on our forums with some positive first impressions. One forum member mrbass posted an extensive gallery of screenshots of the gameplay and tutorial screens. We’ll provide a more in depth look of the game in time.
App Store Link: The Settlers, $4.99