iPad ZX Spectrum: Elite Collection

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Squeaker, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland

ZX Spectrum: Elite Collection

Note: if this app is crashing, following the latest update, please delete the app from your device then go back to the A…
    TouchArcade Rating:
    $2.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    Note: if this app is crashing, following the latest update, please delete the app from your device then go back to the App Store and download it again. You will NOT be charged again.

This the sixteenth update of ZX Spectrum: Elite Collection arrived in Dec '13

It contains 13 ZX Spectrum games.

It also contains an in-App ‘shop’ offering:
    - the next twenty four 'Collections' (Vol. #3 to Vol. #26 - priced £1.49/€1.59/US.99 per volume), each volume containing 6 ZX Spectrum games and
    - the first sixty two 'Singles', each priced £0.69/€0.79/US
    Details

Guide a mother and her child as they embark on a journey through magical architecture, discovering illusionary pathways and delightful puzzles as you learn the secrets of the Sacred Geometry.

Sequel to the Apple Game of the Year 2014, Monument Valley 2 presents a brand new adventure set in a beautiful and impossible world. Help Ro as she teaches her child about the mysteries of the valley exploring stunning environments and manipulating architecture to guide them on their way.

=====

A STANDALONE ADVENTURE A completely new story from the Monument Valley universe. You don’t need to have previously played Monument Valley to enjoy Monument Valley 2.

INDIVIDUALLY CRAFTED PUZZLES Enjoy beautiful levels filled with illusory, meditative puzzles, using brand new interactions to explore the changing dynamics between characters.

CONTEMPORARY VISUALS Artwork inspired by an eclectic mixture of architectural styles, artistic movements and personal influences, each translated into stunning geometric structures.

BEAUTIFUL AUDIO Immerse yourself in uniquely melodic interactive soundscapes, tailored perfectly to every step of Ro and her child’s journey.

=====

Monument Valley 2 is only compatible with devices running iOS 9 or later.

.99, featuring DARK SCEPTRE - By Mike Singleton

LIMITED TIME OFFER: use the "Buy Vol. 3-25" button to buy the next twenty three 'Collections' (Vol. #3 to Vol. #25) from the in-App 'shop' and SAVE 65% compared to the price of buying each 'Collection' separately.

What We Did Recently:
    - launched of the ‘C64: Elite Collection / Free’, a pair of Apps for all iOS devices.

What We Did Previously:
    - announced that ‘Signed Limited-Edition Collectors’ Prints’ are now available to order, from within the app and from http://www.elite-systems.co.uk/elite/htdocs/ltdeditionart.php
    - reviewed our plans for updating the App. Settled upon: making two new ZX Spectrum games available to purchase as 'Singles' from the in-App 'shop' every other month, more frequently if possible, commencing Dec ‘12.
    - reviewed our plans for raising awareness of the App. Settled upon: releasing a small number of ZX Spectrum games every other month, more frequently if possible, as stand-alone Apps, (as well as making them available as in-App purchases).
    - Published (in full at www.elite-systems.co.uk) and in part here, the list of games currently included, or currently included as in-app purchases, in ZX Spectrum: Elite Collection, that is:
    Alternative Collection Vol. #1 - in-app purchase,
    - featuring SKOOL DAZE
    Alternative Collection Vol. #2 - in-app purchase,
    - featuring BACK TO SKOOL
    Audiogenic Collection - in-app purchase,
    - featuring EMLYN HUGHES INT. SOCCER
    Cascade Collection - in-app purchase,
    - featuring ACE
    Cronosoft Collection Vol. #1 - in-app purchase,
    - featuring 'various'
    Cronosoft Collection Vol. #2 - in-app purchase,
    - featuring 'various'
    Data East Collection - in-app purchase,
    - featuring MIDNIGHT RESISTANCE
    Elite Collection Vol. #1 - included,
    - featuring, CHUCKIE EGG
    Elite Collection Vol. #2 - included,
    - featuring ROLLER COASTER
    First Star Software - in-app purchase,
    - featuring BOULDER DASH II
    Gremlin Collection Vol. #1 - in-app purchase,
    - featuring MONTY ON THE RUN
    Gremlin Collection Vol. #2 - in-app purchase,
    - featuring JACK THE NIPPER
    Hewson Collection Vol.1 - in-app purchase,
    - featuring CYBERNOID
    Hewson Collection Vol.2 - in-app purchase,
    - featuring CYBERNOID II
    Julian Gollop Collection - in-app purchase,
    - featuring CHAOS
    Microgen Collection - in-app purchase,
    - featuring EVERONE’S A WALLY
    New Generation Software Collection - in-app purchase,
    - featuring TRASHMAN
    Nexus Collection - in-app purchase,
    - featuring MICRONAUGHT ONE
    Odin Collection - in-app purchase,
    - featuring NODES OF YESOD
    Palace Software Collection Vol. #1 - in-app purchase,
    - featuring BARBARIAN: THE ULTIMATE WARRIOR
    Palace Software Collection Vol. #2 - in-app purchase,
    - featuring BARBARIAN II
    Software Projects Collection Vol. #1 - in-app purchase,
    - featuring MANIC MINER
    Software Projects Collection Vol. #2 - in-app purchase,
    - featuring JET SET WILLY
    Steve Crow Collection - in-app purchase,
    - featuring STARQUAKE
    Vortex Collection Vol. #1 - in-app purchase,
    - featuring TLL
    Vortex Collection Vol. #2 – in-app purchase,
    - featuring CYCLONE

What We’re Doing Next:
    - continuing to work toward the achievement of our ambitious goals.
    Information
    Seller:
    Genre:Arcade
    Release:Oct 03, 2010
    Updated:Nov 30, -0001
    Version:
    Size:0.0
    User Rating:Unrated
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

2. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Ah, another ZX emulator for my collection. Purchased.

3. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Interesting. ZX Nostalgia has also returned, sort of.

ZX Nostalgia. Adventure edition vol.1

This application allows you to play some classic ZX Spectrum adventures. Return to the halcyon days of your youth and re…
    $0.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    This application allows you to play some classic ZX Spectrum adventures. Return to the halcyon days of your youth and relive those joyous moments once again. The app is optimized for both the iPhone and the iPod and runs at 100% full speed on all models. Both sound and multi-touch control are supported, whilst it is also possible to play in either portrait or landscape mode.

The games included are:

- A Stroll In The Bleak Forest (1989)
    - An Everyday Tale Of A Seeker Of Gold (1986)
    - Behind Closed Doors 1 (1988)
    - Behind Closed Doors 2 (1988)
    - Behind Closed Doors 3 (1989)
    - Bulbo and The Lizard-KIng (1987)
    - Bulbo Pics (1987)
    - From Out Of A Dark Night Sky (1988)
    - Fuddo and Slam (1987)
    - Fuddo Pics (1987)
    - Just One Of Those days (1988)
    - Retarded Creatures and Caverns (1989)
    - The Balrog and The Cat (1988)
    - The Goblin Gazzzette (1988)
    - The Goblin Gazzette 2 (1989)
    - The Secret Of Little Hodcome (1986)

LEGAL: Zenobi Software do hereby grant 'ZX Nostalgia' with full permission to utilise the titles currently included in this application in any way they see fit, provided that Zenobi Software are kept informed of all such undertakings prior to general release.
    Information
    Seller:
    Genre:Adventure, Arcade
    Release:Oct 01, 2010
    Updated:Nov 30, -0001
    Version:
    Size:0.0
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating:Unrated
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

4. Acidbottle

Acidbottle Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    haha yep, another emulator to add to the ever growing pile but i hope this becomes the definative one!

some interesting info in the foreword section of the app, brings back the memory of great software houses. i was even a little suprised to see elite still running tbh, it has a place in history for me personally as airwolf ended up being the first computer game i ever purchased :) would like to see that included for old times sake!

what it boils down to is games and controls. game wise we are thin on content, however the 6 games are true classics and elite have promised 3 free updates with a bunch of games each plus securing the rights to 2 other 'major' software houses befiore eventually adding an in app store which would be totally fine by me.

the presentation is nice, rough a little but still gives a nice oldskool feel and a bit of instruction and history on each game.

control wise im a little concerned tho. i can see why they used a keyboard overlay as it the most intuative to use whilst many games required specific keys. however, you simply have to include a digital joystick as thats how many will remember playing their games. im a bit all fingers and thumbs with these controls but they are quite responsive and if you persevere you can muddle thru certain games, harrier attack is just fine like this. turbo esprit is a nightmare however.

work hard on giving us cool controls. the ones in zx nostalgia were actually pretty good, just needed some adjustments, and throw us some cool games like scuba dive, chaos and airwolf and this could occupy many a gamers hour!

5. WingedDevil

WingedDevil Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Luxembourg
    Another one??? :eek:

Right now I have 3 of them.. but none of them is good :(

6. TouchChatterbox

TouchChatterbox Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    Which one is the 3rd? I can only see 2 on this forum.

7. Toad In The Hole

Toad In The Hole Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    **** All
    In A Hole
    [hqyoutube]GR7KTYP9rPo[/hqyoutube]

[hqyoutube]JOnUmO7oLgA[/hqyoutube]

8. WingedDevil

WingedDevil Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Luxembourg
    The first one that came out got pulled ;)

9. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    That seriously just looks awful. And what redeeming features there may be, are utterly obliterated by the controls.

10. GordonFreeman

GordonFreeman Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Interesting... I have ZX nostalgia, which was pulled out of iTunes. This one is called ZX nostalgia too, but is different. It has different games and is not the one I own. Looks like they terminated the first one and came back with a different collection of games without updating the former app.

11. Amalah

Amalah Well-Known Member

#11 Amalah, Oct 3, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
    Ah brings back so many memories! How I missed that crackly loading sound. :p

I'd love to play Trap Door again, that was always my favourite as a kid. Hope they can add it one day. :)

OMG! And Treasure Island Dizzy! :eek:
    All the Dizzy games in fact.

Also:
    Shadow of the Beast <3
    Rick Dangerous
    Lemmings
    The Addams Family

It's all coming back to me now. :D

12. GordonFreeman

GordonFreeman Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    I remember playing a game called something like "One day in life" or something like that. It was a fun platformer game where you were just a moving head avoiding obstacles and enemies. It was on a friend's computer and I believe it was a ZX Spectrum. This was looong time ago so my memory may be playing tricks to me. I would love to see that game back for the iPhone!

13. steve.wilcox

steve.wilcox New Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Game Producer
    Lichfield, England
    Game Play Video

Thanks for posting the game play video. It's worth noting that all of the games can be played in either portrait or landscape mode. Several of the games, particularly Chuckie Egg and Saboteur are best played in portrait; others e.g. Frank Bruno's Boxing are also playable (and visually more impressive?) in landscape. In this video, all of the games are shown being played in landscape mode - it would nice to see a video in which some are played in portrait too.

14. I had to buy it. Better games than ZX Nostalgia, obviously, so it was really a must. However, the controls are indeed terrible. The layout is customized on a per-game basis, which is good, but the layout itself is usually terrible; the keys are huge and spaced too far apart. The 8-way keys in Chuckie Egg feature a giant dead zone in the middle and stop registering if your finger slides off any of the keys or into the dead zone, which is complete crap. Esprit is only marginally better with split left/right and up/down controls which make more sense for the type of game it is, but the keys are huge, requiring larger motions to move from one to the other. I don't know who Elite got to test these controls, but I can only assume they all had freakishly large sausage fingers if they didn't complain about them. This emu absolutely needs proper controls. The least they could have done is added an option for a proper and responsive D-pad and pretended it was a Kempston or something. Ideally a Fargoal-esqe D-Pad Anywhere type interface would work for platformers and such.

As to the emulator itself, it does seem to work at full speed and feature proper Spectrum 48 piezo sound, so it's got that going for it. Which is nice. It even features tape loading noises at certain menu points, which is only mildly amusing if you've made damn sure you've got the volume turned way the hell down. Especially if you're wearing headphones. Unless you like tinnitus, that is.

It's not a bad emulator -- the game lineup is obviously quite good here and the promise of 6 more freebies before opening up a DLC store is nice, too. But those controls need major refinement, and the loading noises, while nostalgic and all, have gotta be toned down.

15. Toad In The Hole

Dec 16, 2009
    **** All
    In A Hole
    Not a problem-Here's a Portrait Mode video as well ;)

[hqyoutube]gUw6JqTWKu8[/hqyoutube]

16. Amalah

Amalah Well-Known Member

#16 Amalah, Oct 4, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
    Chuckie Egg is my favourite so far? Any chance of a hint as to which games we will be seeing next? :)

Or are you not the developer? I'm kind of confused. xD

17. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    London, UK
    Aha, so this is the real thread.

Yes yes yes. Plus Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy.

18. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Ugh. An ellipsis in the title. :mad:

19. Toad In The Hole

Dec 16, 2009
    **** All
    In A Hole
    No mate i'm not the dev,tho wish i was :D

Steve.Wilcox on here with 1 post in this thread is the MD over at Elite which was originally Steve Wilcox Software way back in 1984 ;)

Try leaving him a message on this thread and hopefully he will let us all know what games are coming up next ;)

20. Amalah

Amalah Well-Known Member

Following Toad In The Hole's advice (thanks Toad :p), do you think you can tell us which games might be coming next? Or even a little hint? :)