Zune HD

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by redsoxsrule424, May 27, 2009.

1. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Well what pushes the iPod platform over the edge is:

-iPods are practically a fashion accessory now.
    -Brand recognition, by now it seems like most people have owned some kind of iPod.
    -Massive repository of Applications, growing at an amazing rate.
    -Familiarity of iTunes and ease of use of the iTunes music store.
    -Huge array of accessories, even Wal-Mart sells alarm clocks with iPod integration now, and a shocking number of cars feature iPod connections straight from the factory.

While they may be fairly evenly matched hardware wise, Microsoft is going to have to seriously pull one hell of a rabbit out of their marketing hat to even begin to compete with those five things. So far their strongest marketing avenue is the subscription based music store crap, but I think people like owning their music and collecting it, not renting it.

Regardless, it should be interesting to see what happens, but I'm not expecting any more of a splash than the original Zune made, and I'll probably pick up a Zune HD for fun when they hit woot.com.

2. Brazilian Rider

Brazilian Rider Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    If Microsoft is smart, then they will most likely tie their Zune campaign with the XBOX campaign... I can see some sales coming from that.

3. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    I can see somethin' happening if they somehow integrate the Zune with the upcoming Project Natal. Maybe something along the lines of a mini-Apple TV.

4. Mellifluous

Mellifluous Active Member

Jun 18, 2009
    As far as I can tell, it already has the capabilities of Apple TV with Xbox, e.g. you can stream music and video from your PC wirelessly with Zune software to your Xbox, this'll probably be the same case for HD video. And video downloaded via Xbox will be transferable to the ZuneHD. E3's announcement showed instant HD streaming via Xbox (using Zune video marketplace integrated in the Xbox dashboard), too.

5. defaude

defaude Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    First real games are now released for the Zune for free!

http://www.zune.net/en-us/products/learningcenter/zuneplayers/whattodo/hdapps.htm

* Audiosurf Tilt: Audiosurf creates a rollercoaster ride from any song. Choose any song from your music collection and watch Audiosurf turn it into a unique roller coaster track for you to ride. The song you choose determines the shape, the speed, and the mood of each track. Tilt your Zune like a steering wheel to collect colored blocks and avoid speedbumps. Unlock more than 30 designs, each with its own special theme and color palette.
    * Checkers: Enjoy the classic game of Checkers in a beautiful outdoor park setting. Play against the computer or against a friend.
    * Lucky Lanes Bowling: Bowl in different game modes: exhibition, blackjack, golf. Play in five different bowling alleys with unique themes, all with the swipe of a finger. Choose from twenty different bowlers and twenty two different ball styles. You can play against the computer or play with up to four friends.
    * Piano: Play your own tune, or play along with your favorite music on this electronic piano.
    * Project Gotham Racing: Ferrari Edition: Tear through the streets of London, Tokyo, and New York in the Ferrari of your choice using multi touch controls and the built in accelerometer.
    * Vans Sk8: Pool Service: From the Admiral to the old abandoned rec center pool, Bucky Lasek and Omar Hassan know a good bowl to skate. Hit the pools and put these Vans skaters to the test with all the tricks in their bag and achieve hero status once you unlock their pro model skateboards.

Project Gotham Racing Gameplay video, pretty impressive:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/11/zune-hd-3d-games-video-hands-on/#continued

6. Kamazar

Dec 13, 2008
    They don't look bad by any means, but that still leaves the app count under 10.

7. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    You have to start somewhere.

Maybe by next year I'll actually be considering a Zune HD(second gen probably) over an iPod Touch 4th gen/DS2/PSP2.

8. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    The Android market is only now barely getting out of the dark ages of their appstore. The Zune HD app market is getting in far too late. They won't be able to catch up.

9. Kamazar

Dec 13, 2008
    Yeah, next time, do us a favor and just start up an entirely new thread. Now if you don't mind, I have a superiority complex to attend to.

10. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    It was linked to from another thread, so I didn't realize it was old. Sorry about that.

11. Deewin

Deewin Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    I loved my old 2nd gen Zune because of the awesome Zune pass subscription it offered but the Zune HD can't compete with the iPod touch. It has a much sleeker interface but it can't compete against the app store. the 14.99 a month Zune subscription for music downloads isn't a compelling reason to buy a Zune anymore because the App store alternatives. Right now Rhapsody, MOG and Rdio that not only offers more songs but also charges 5 dollars less than the Zune pass :cool: