Zune HD

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by redsoxsrule424, May 27, 2009.

1. redsoxsrule424

redsoxsrule424 Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    #1 redsoxsrule424, May 27, 2009
    Last edited: May 29, 2009
    Via macrumors...

Microsoft Confirms Multi-Touch Zune HD to Compete Against iPod Touch
    Tuesday May 26, 2009 09:16 PM EST
    Written by arn

Microsoft confirmed today that the rumored "Zune HD" was, in fact, real and that they are planning on launching it this fall. The new touch-screen device will surf the web, play high definition movies and tune in digital radio.
    "This device is created to go head to head with the iPod Touch," Chris Stephenson, general manager of global marketing for Microsoft Zune, said in a telephone interview on Tuesday. Zune buyers will also be able to play HD content on their TVs via a dock, Microsoft said.

Other notable features in the new media device include a 3.3" multi-touch OLED screen, HD radio, HD video out, Wi-Fi, and integration with Xbox. The device is said to be based on the Windows CE operating system and will include a mobile version of Internet Explorer customized for the touch screen. No word of storage capacities or pricing at this time.

Rumors and photos of such a device were leaked back in April, though there was some debate about its authenticity. Apple has seen tremendous success with the iPod Touch since its introduction with 13 million units sold up until December 2008.

Here's the full article:
    Microsoft announces the expansion of the Zune entertainment service to new platform and markets; confirms new Zune HD portable media player
    Premium Zune digital entertainment service to be available internationally on Xbox LIVE

REDMOND, Wash. — May 26, 2009 — Microsoft Corp. today announced the evolution of Zune, the company’s end-to-end music and entertainment service, to a new platform and new markets. Zune will extend its video service to Xbox LIVE internationally this fall. This marks an important development in the Zune strategy and brings the Zune brand to more than 17 million international Xbox LIVE subscribers. In addition, Microsoft confirmed the next generation of the Zune portable media player, Zune HD. Available in the U.S. this fall, Zune HD is the first portable media player that combines a built-in HD Radio receiver, high-definition (HD) video output capabilities, organic light-emitting diode (OLED) touch screen, Wi-Fi and an Internet browser.

“The Zune music player is an integral part of the overall Zune experience, and we’re proud to be growing and extending our offering beyond the device,” said Enrique Rodriguez, corporate vice president of the Microsoft TV, Video and Music Business Group. “Delivering on Microsoft’s connected entertainment vision, this news marks a turning point for Zune as it brings cross-platform experiences and premium video content to living rooms around the world.”

Zune Service Expands to New Platform

Zune will be a premium partner in the Xbox LIVE Video Marketplace, bringing an exciting catalog of TV and film to the platform. Zune will occupy the first slot within the Xbox user interface in the Xbox LIVE Video Marketplace, exposing the Zune brand experience to millions of new consumers for the first time. At the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) next week, attendees will see firsthand how Zune integrates into Xbox LIVE to create a game-changing entertainment experience.

Introducing Zune HD

Zune HD is the next iteration of the Zune device family and brings a new level of listening and viewing experiences to the portable media player category.

Zune HD comes with a built-in HD Radio receiver so users can listen to higher-quality sound than traditional radio on the go. Users also will have access to the additional song and artist data broadcast by HD Radio stations as well as additional channels from their favorite stations multicasting in HD. If you don’t like the song playing on your station’s HD channel, switch to its HD2 or HD3 channels for additional programming.
    The bright OLED touch screen interface allows users to flip through music, movies and other content with ease, and the 16:9 widescreen format display (480x272 resolution) offers a premium viewing experience on the go.
    The HD-compatible output lets Zune HD customers playback supported HD video files from the device through a premium high-definition multimedia interface (HDMI) audiovisual docking station (sold separately) direct to an HD TV in 720p.*
    Zune HD will include a full-screen Internet browser optimized for multitouch functionality.
    Zune HD is Wi-Fi enabled, allowing for instant streaming to the device from the more than 5 million-track Zune music store.
    More information on Zune and related images is available at http://www.zune.net/press and http://www.zune.net/ZuneHD .

About Zune

Zune is Microsoft’s music and entertainment brand that provides an integrated digital entertainment experience. The Zune platform includes a line of portable digital media players, elegant software, the Zune Marketplace online store, Zune Pass music subscription service, and the Zune Social online music community, created to help people discover more music. Zune is part of Microsoft’s Entertainment and Devices Division and supports the company’s software-based services vision to help drive innovation in the digital entertainment space. More information can be found online at http://www.zune.net/en-us/press .

About Xbox LIVE

Xbox LIVE connects more than 17 million members across 26 countries to each other and the entertainment they love. Home of more content from one remote than can be found from any device connected to the television, Xbox LIVE is also a unified online social network bringing friends together, no matter where they are — in the living room or across the world. More information and Xbox LIVE membership can be found online at http://www.xbox.com/en-us/live.

About Microsoft

Founded in 1975, Microsoft (Nasdaq “MSFT”) is the worldwide leader in software, services and solutions that help people and businesses realize their full potential.

* Supported 720p HD video files play on the device, downscaled to fit the screen at 480 x 272 — not HD resolution. Zune HD and AV Dock, and an HDTV (all sold separately) are required to view video at HD resolution.

HD Radio™ and the HD Radio logo are proprietary trademarks of iBiquity Digital Corp.

ZUNE HANDS ON VIDEO + PHOTOS HERE: http://gizmodo.com/5272228/zune-hd-hands-on-photos-and-video-tour

Apparently gizmodo got a prototype, they discuss it at the above link.

Attached Files:

2. jchampl

jchampl Well-Known Member

#2 jchampl, May 27, 2009
    Last edited: May 27, 2009
    and this is upsetting why? so what they are making a new version of the zune....

it also sounds like they added some pretty damn cool things into it, like hd video out and others. doesn't really seem like a copy to me. apple wasn't the originator of all this video, music, web on a handheld device, so I don't see why this is an issue to you. with hd video out, i may even pick one up.

3. redsoxsrule424

Apr 18, 2009
    #3 redsoxsrule424, May 27, 2009
    Last edited: May 28, 2009
    I hate when companies copy one another, but microsoft takes the cake!

4. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    I'll have thjis and a ipod touch 1st gen...SWEET! I must say this looks awsome but Apple > Microsoft

5. redsoxsrule424

Apr 18, 2009
    I do agree and I admit the device is nice but im going to stick with apple and maybe will pick this up.

6. JTHM87

JTHM87 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Auto Finance
    King of Prussia, PA
    I may be in the minority (just watch any popular movie, everyone has Apple computers!!) but the only thing Apple makes that I'm remotely interested in is the iPhone.

That being said, I think that it will be incredibly difficult to compete with the App Store and look forward to seeing exactly how this pans out. The new features are nice, sure, but Apple will come out with a new device that likely will blow it out of the water anyhow.

7. redsoxsrule424

Apr 18, 2009
    You're probably right.

8. jchampl

apple copied diamiond/creative labs, so why don't we set apple on fire for doing that too then? when someone becomes innovative and creates a product like an mp3 player, that company should expect that many others will follow in suit. like tablet pcs. video game consoles (should we nail nintendo, sega, and others to the cross for copying off atari and such?). should only one company make cars, or should all the others just be copycats? NO

the zune hd has features the idevices don't and vice versa, so until they come out with something that looks and performs exactly like it, then it's not a copy cat. it's mearly innovation. one of the leading forces in our economy is innovation, that is what its happening here.

9. redsoxsrule424

Apr 18, 2009
    I don't feel too much like getting flamed, so i'll concede.

10. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Zune HD

Screen Resolution: 480x272

[​IMG]

11. redsoxsrule424

Apr 18, 2009
    Yeah the thing hd about it is that it has hd video out WITH A DOCK.

12. jchampl

i don't mean to flame you, but I can't understand what is upsetting to you.

A device with video, mp3, wifi, and digital radio is not copyrighted. without competition and innovation from other companies, we would most likely be without the iphone and touch. the other companies keep apple on their toes in regards to remaining the leader in the area with innovation, and the fact that other companies could produce a simililar product for less money, keeps apples prices competitive. it's simple economics but you need people like microsoft to help you and I as a consumer.

13. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

What the. Why would I bother carrying around a HD movie file that is many times larger than a normal movie file just so I can plug it in and play it on a HDTV if I'm at someone's house who also has a Zune dock instead of, uh, many more movies in a lower resolution that would still look great on the Zune HD's non-HD screen?

14. redsoxsrule424

Apr 18, 2009
    That's a good point.

15. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Hmmm? What'd they copy from the Zen?

The device is said to be based on the Windows CE operating system...

... AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I hate anything Windows based. It always frickin' freezes consisistently.

The HD part is cool, but there's no doubt Apple already has it in the works.

Multi-touch, well, not much can be done with it without a large library of apps.

16. redsoxsrule424

Apr 18, 2009
    Yeah windows ce is what is in windows mobile, and if you know windows mobile...

17. jchampl

I bring my apple tv on trips and to friends houses just to have hd movies. I'm sure it's not for everyone, but I certainly appreciate it. I think it's just personal pref. I don't know if you have ever used the tv out cables for the iphone, but the quality isn't that great. I always wish it did have hd out, sure a movie like superbad doesn't need to be in HD, but action movies like the dark knight kind of need to be. it was so nice to load the first season of dexter on my iphone, and just watch them at any hotel I was at. I just wished I could carry the native HD signal to the TV for a show like that.

18. redsoxsrule424

Apr 18, 2009
    Yeah that would be nice, but I wonder how much the dock is going to cost?

19. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    The HD out is nice, I just got a samsung p3, it's pretty much the shit for anyone who is always on the move.

20. jchampl

yup, windows mobile.......
    a phone that never froze or had to be restarted in the 3 years that I had it. Also featured cut, copy and paste. Also whenever I installed an app I didn't have to restart the thing. If I didn't have to give it back to work when the place closed down, then I would still have it today. I don't miss it, but it certainly wasn't a bad thing like everyone is talking about.