Universal Zombie Rogue (by Game Fish)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by gamefish, Apr 30, 2018.

1. AltsKev

AltsKev Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2016
    Male
    Developer
    @gamefish Iphone X last ios public version

2. gamefish

gamefish Well-Known Member

May 2, 2011
    You can find more fun stuff if you go deeper, haha

3. dasaff1

dasaff1 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Very fun game, but sometimes all history is deleted making me lose my puzzle pieces

Devs, please work on it :)

4. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    #24 ZS77, May 2, 2018
    Last edited: May 2, 2018
    I’m loving this game, it’s great - need to improve the controls a little, perhaps a swipe/dpad option, and an easier way to compare stats of items; and slightly greater durability on weapons. But for 99p, I really can’t complain. The artwork is great and the detail is spot on. Love that some of the mechanics are trial and error only and you’re not hand held throughout.

Couple of things I’ve learbed so far:
    1) You’ll sometimes pick up a funny coloured brain, eating these will give you stat modifiers. So far, only had a +1 permanent strength upgrade, so not sure if there’s negative consequences too.

2) The fist symbol is a special attack but you have to charge it first by waiting/fighting. It’s charged when it’s fully lit up. You use this to kill zombies in one hit and this is how you generate gene points! It also kills all enemies around you, not just a single target, so save it for mob encounters to maximise on the number of genes that get dropped.

Edit: ok, so special skill doesn’t do 1 hit kill but it does take off a fair amount of energy from surrounding mob. So wear them down and then take out several at once - it’s a nice risk/reward situation, how far do you push it before hitting the button, especially when your energy is low.

Also re: flashing brains - yes, stat modifiers are both + & -.

5. Ghostdog1

Ghostdog1 Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2015
    #25 Ghostdog1, May 2, 2018
    Last edited: May 2, 2018
    Great game BUT needs an update:
    !Not recommended because of disfunctional Save Option! Will wipe all progress once you close the app! Happend 3 times to me!

Thanks a lot for the extended tutorial. I've been playing this for 3 hours and didn't have a clue how to get any genes. This is nothing you find out easily in this game. Dear dev, please add this stuff to the tutorial or help screen. At least give a hint.
    I also don't understand what the sos thingies do or some chars that i can only hit, although they have a speak signs over their head like george.
    And is it normal to allways restart with nero0001 everytime i reopen the game? I mean... do i have really to do everything again? The perma brain upgrades are totaly useless....

I love the transformation mechanic. Its great that you can play either ways. Maybe its the only way to win... Really a nice roguelike, but needs more tutorial.

6. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    Sounds like you’ve got a bit of a bug there dude. Game should save fine and starting afresh your character number should increase by 1 each time. Mine has been fine and (fingers crossed) haven’t had any issues with lost data when minimising the app.

I kind of like the fact that a lot of the mechanics are learn as you go - although I agree, it could do with a few more of the basics explained from the outset.

As for the ‘sos’ bodies on the floor - yeah, I’m a bit stumped with them too; you can throw things on them like serum vials and vitamin injections and it has some sort of effect but can’t really tell what. Looks like stuff that’s good for you gives them a negative stat(?), there are arrows pointing down that appear above their heads for a second - but yeah, I have no clue as to what to do.

7. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    @Gamefish
    Great fun, I just snagged it.

Only question so far, while I see how to see the final score of my last run, how do I see my top final score of all runs so far?

8. triwolf

triwolf Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Sep 5, 2012
    Got the save game problem too. Erases all progress. I think I’ll wait until this is fixed to play again.

9. teamben

teamben Member

Dec 5, 2014
    +1 for updating with swipe controls
    Fun game though

10. gamefish

May 2, 2011
    There is no score list of all runs, but that's something we can improve. Thank you LordGek for your advice!

11. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    It could be as simple as a local top 5. I just really like having some permanent record to compare my latest run to. How good was my latest run? Was this my best 1 so far?

12. AltsKev

Nov 12, 2016
    Male
    Developer
    + 1 too for swipe controls and save progress fixed :p

13. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    In case you haven’t seen it yet, check my blacked out spoiler tips in my comment above - it will exain how to earn the puzzle pieces/dna for upgrades.

On another note - am I correct in saying that the ‘watabou’ listed in the thanks credits is the same ‘watabou’ the created (? or at the very least, ported to mobile?) Pixel Dungeon? If so, I’m impressed - and it shows in the overall feel of the game.

Come on devs - you’re on the verge of a classic roguelike here, keep up the development and show us what you’ve got! :D

14. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    Spoiler tips!

Throw eggs at walls/objects to make fried eggs, consume for +5 health.

Throw anti-virus serum at zombies to turn them human/animal and they fight along side you.

Throw zombie arms for more damage without incurring increased virus penalty.

Gene stealer zombies - the ones that look like robbers with swag bags on their backs - will sometimes take away some of your infection; but they may also steal some of your items too. And possibly your collected genes but not sure?

Still can’t figure out what to do with the SOS bodies though - anyone help me out?

Just unlocked my first permanent upgrade - 10% speed boost whilst in human form. Not a game changer but certainly gives you more of an advantage on the first few levels. So far, made it to the next level -
    The Garden
    - which is either floor 4 or 5.

15. gmattergames

gmattergames Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Watabou's pixel dungeon code was released open source, if he's credited, likely this game is built on that code. If so, it's like the mutant zombie cousin of pixel dungeon.

16. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    More spoiler tips - including what to do with the SOS things!

Throw an upgrade chip at the dead SOS droids(!) on the floor; they will instantly spring to life and follow you around fighting for you!

Don’t panic about transitioning in to a zombie - although it depletes your health slowly, it can be useful. Eating normal human brains when in this state gives you a huge health boost. So if you’re running low, change states, eat a brain and then use serum to revert to human form.

Using serum on zombies turns them human and for a few $$ they’ll fight alongside you. Don’t throw serum at the Gene Thieves though (the ones with robber masks and swag bags), they just consume it but don’t turn human - so there’s no benefit.

Any humans you’ve saved can be fed food and perks, such as beer, to help heal them and keep them alive. I had 2 humans and a robot following me around and fighting for me earlier, they’ll even push past you and go in to a room first to soften up the opposition before you wade in to mop up.

Edit: Also meant to add, I can’t stop playing this - it’s great! Have just got my 2nd permanent upgrade, +5% EXP earned in human form; next is increases to item and weapon durability.

17. Ghostdog1

Ghostdog1 Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2015
    #37 Ghostdog1, May 4, 2018
    Last edited: May 4, 2018
    This game is really very addictive.

I gave it one more try after my first 3 saves had been erased. Finished the game with only one upgrade from the genepool (10% speed). It was a hell of a ride. And i loved every second. At the end i had about 500 genes left. And i was waiting what would happen after the final screen. But beside sharing and such stuff there was only the option to go to the main menu. And guess what... In the main menu was only written "new game"... and after pressing it all progress to this point again got erased. All genes gone and im starting back at Nero0001

You truely have a gem of a game. But its frustrating as hell because of the save bug.

I won. And give up.

18. gamefish

May 2, 2011
    I'm sorry, that's my fault, we are trying to fix this in next bug fix release. Hopefully will release tomorrow. Please update and give us more feedback.:eek:

19. gamefish

May 2, 2011
    Swip control sounds fun, but can you tell me about details you want? Currently, if you tap a cell the hero will keep moving until reaching it, if swipe control applies, the hero can only move 1 step each time, am I right? I think swiping to an enemy to attack can make the fight control a lot easier.

20. AltsKev

Nov 12, 2016
    Male
    Developer
    #40 AltsKev, May 4, 2018
    Last edited: May 4, 2018
    Yep the hero ll move 1 step each time except maybe if we hold the swip in a direction ?
    Yes for the attack control that ll be better i think.

EDIT

For example the control in Cinco Paus from Michael Brough are very good.