Universal zombie match defense (by shovelware games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by shovelware, Oct 21, 2015.

1. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    The thing is, developers can have the title on the App Store be one thing and the title on our devices another. Unlike EP, I wouldn't mind the lowercase letters on my device, but the title on the App Store could use a touch up.

2. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    #22 badmanj, Oct 23, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
    This is exceptionally good... however:

It's advertised as a game with no time pressure... in which case, please prevent my iPhone from going into sleep mode while I'm thinking about my next move!

Oh, btw the music is GREAT!

Jamie

3. shovelware

shovelware Active Member

Jul 27, 2009
    I'm glad you guys are enjoying it!

I'll look into the sleep mode issue, but I'm not sure if Unity has those controls exposed.

The music is by my friend Obadiah Brown-Beach. I'm REALLY happy with how it turned out. You can hear more of his stuff here: http://www.obadiahbrownbeach.com

Please let me know if you have any questions or issues. I'm so excited that the game is out!

4. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    PORTRAIT MODE please!!! :D

5. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Nice to concentrate on one or two new games only. I managed to upgrade everything and i was stopped by difficulty (or my brain) at level 29 (or 9+, hard).

The upgradable items add a good replay value to the infinite mode. The scientistic machine (beat level 20) even raises the fun and offers some possible other tactics as well. But honestly, i had no clue how that thing works, and it took me quite a while to figure it out. Hope this won't cause some bad ratings. Having no good tutorial these days might not be the best move. And some of us know what descriptions are worth, when people don't read at all.

The unlockable characters with the earned badges in infinite are cosmetic only, right? Seems a missed oportunity to spice this little gem up a bit more, imho.

Loading highscore on both infinite modes takes...actually it never does, always see the loading sign (5s, 8.4.1, good wifi, device restarted)
    I had four crashes taking me to the homescreen, and just five minutes ago, i couldn't use any item in Season1 infinite, had to restart.
    A nitpicking point is the constant loading sign in the left down corner.

It's by far not in the Hero Emblem's league (who is?), but it was definitely worth my two bucks.

6. rezn

rezn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 8, 2014
    Male
    Coder/Keyer in medical ICD 10
    Reno, NV
    I definitely am buying this. I had a great time testing it via TestFlight. It was nice that the Dev kept the game updated fairly often so we didn't have to deal with loosing out on gameplay.

It's just a perfect simple and sometimes tough puzzle game. When you start to see where you can move brains and zombies together it does get a bit easier. Can't wait to see what they make next.

7. Lavender

Lavender Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    I enjoyed this game very much during beta testing.
    Bitter sweet that it had to end and I had to stop playing but.... Sweet to see it released.
    I'm happy I was able to help.

Fantastic match game with a zombie theme and creative twist.
    I wish the dev lots of luck.

8. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    I second this with immense enthusiasm. Though I know what a pain in the ass it would be to do.

And by the way, that Pocket Gamer review is wrong.
    The game is awesome.

9. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

I agree, this does not earn a "5" rating, much bette than that.

10. Ubisububi

Ubisububi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    Fantastic game. My favorite release of the week. I'm worried that it's flying under the radar, though. Hope it gets some traction.

11. aconfusedkender

aconfusedkender Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    Ok you guys win. I'm downloading now (; I've had my eye on it

12. shovelware

shovelware Active Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Yeah, sadly this hasn't gotten the traction we had hoped for, but we're not giving up yet! We're trying to reach out to more folks that can help spread the word.

We're also working on fixing bugs that people have come across.

In the mean time, our composer Obie has posted the first bit of the soundtrack up on his soundcloud for you to check out.

This is the track from the level select screen:
    https://soundcloud.com/obadiahbrownbeach/we-are-zombie-match-defense

13. Ubisububi

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    #33 Ubisububi, Oct 26, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
    This is literally all I'm playing on my phone this week.

Very well balanced game.

I was stuck on level 3 FOREVER until I learned how to be a better player. It's in no way a breeze now, which is good because it's fun to play something that requires skill and strategy.

One question, though... Why does my phone have to work so hard to run it? It gets pretty hot, and my battery seems to drop noticeably when I play.

14. Qwertz555

May 22, 2010
    I finished the game, finally and against all odds. I was badly stuck at level 32 (12+) and i almost teached my 5s to fly. Funny, cos the next seven levels were "pretty easy" comparatively, until the last beast unleashed its mean power...oh boy!
    There were other very satisfying finish highlights in my ios history, but to beat this level...i'm simply proud of myself.

Now i'll wait for your several needed bug fixes, before i dive more into the infinite mode.

15. Jetjet

Jetjet Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    How many hours did you manage to finish the game ?

16. Jetjet

Jetjet Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    Sold
    I've just bought this game.
    So surprised that the presentation, music and animations were so cool ! And it's an definitively new way to play three match games !
    You deserve 5 points and success !

17. Qwertz555

May 22, 2010
    Hmm...always difficult with all the breaks, bit of upgrading, lost and replayed levels etc.
    I'd say, if you beat the game under five hours, than you're very blessed with your skilled powers, and you should make a living out of it. I'm quite sure i needed 10+ hours, including my few raging levels, lol.

@Devs
    Let's say my character on top gets a single gun. Now i want to arm the next one, underneath. When i missclick (happened a lot to me), the weapon disappears in the top character, neither doubling up the single-shot gun, nor refusing "hey, i'm already armed. Give it sombody else." Was this intentionaly designed, or what i'm hoping for, only one of those several bugs?

18. Tinytouchtales

Tinytouchtales Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Male
    Gamedesign
    Berlin, Germany
    Just wanted to give a quick shout out to the devs. Very original take on Match-3. The mechanics are surprisingly deep. I'm really stunned non of the "big guys" have come up with it yet. As for the graphical representation there is quite some room to improve. Overall Artdirection isn't too strong, but gameplay is spot on! Recommended!

19. Ubisububi

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    A big bummer that it's so far under the App Store's radar. We all know how too many of these stories end.

1. Great IAP-free premium game released.
    2. Because it's $2 instead of free with $10 worth of IAPs, it's overlooked by the bazillion idiot mobile gamers.
    3. Dev forced to retool as F2P game to make money.
    4. Cranky premium gamers get pissed at Devs and post bad reviews on App Store.

It's the Kobiyashi Maru over and over again.

20. I really hope not. :( It's so rare to find a premium match-3, especially one that has any depth.