Zombie Game Jam = h.grenade + 72hr + TA Forum Input!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by se7en, Feb 20, 2010.

1. se7en

se7en Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    #1 se7en, Feb 20, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As some of you know Zombie Cannon Carnage is set to be released on Tuesday the 23rd! Kelly and I are going crazy with the waiting and we had a cool idea. Let's make a simple game in 72hrs using the assets and technology from ZCC. Set your expectations extremely low for this we are just screwing around ; ) That said, we want to make it awesome and we want your help!

The rules:
    1. Has to be completed by Tuesday the 23rd
    2. Has to feature Z-Emo from ZCC
    3. All major gameplay decisions are decided by TA Forum Input : )

Game Design Documentation
    Run as far as you can [A. avoiding obstacles or B. jumping from rooftop to rooftop] using only one button to jump. The further you run, the faster you run through a randomized set of pre-created city blocks. Attacking people along the way [A. gives you a quick turbo or B. bonus points using a second attack button]. Z-Emo is an amazing freerunner so she does flips [A. automatically when you jump or B. does flips when you press a Flip button in mid air] adding more points to your score. [A. If she hits any obstacle she explodes into pieces and the players score is based on how far her head rolls or B. she falls to her death exploding just below the roof line.]

We can put a quick local leaderboard but that's it right now. No achievements, global leaderboards, etc. - we need to get this done quick.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We need input on the the name/logo Run Zombie Run or Run ZEmo Run - yes they are both references to the amazing movie Run Lola Run : ) We also need input on the game setting, city streets or roof tops and a few of the other A/B options above.

Here is the current ZCC icon and the quick and dirty one that we did today for the new game:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Clearly this needs some work but hey we don't have much time here : ) We started by making the run/jump cycle animations that we will need for the project. We already have exploding ragdolls in ZCC, a follow camera and a randomized set of city blocks which we can modify so we are pretty much set.

[​IMG]

If everyone is interested we will try and post the entire process here as we go. I am off to try and make the animation work by using a UV offset animation with two modes, one for running and one for jumping. Blending is going to be a problem but we will deal with that later : )

se7en

2. doodlejumper

doodlejumper Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    1. A
    2. B
    3. B
    4. A

Looks great!

3. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

B
    B
    A
    B

sounds good to me! Hope it plays as well as canabalt!

4. jxjja

jxjja Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    B
    B
    A
    B

btw it looks great

5. kellyx

kellyx Member

Feb 15, 2010
    Game Dev.//art
    CT. USA
    Hi I'm Se7en's partner Kelly X, And thanks for the input so far!! We'll wait for more too...
    I will be posting progress along the way too, we are working fast here and small things can always be altered.
    If you have any creative input artistically like things you would like to see the Zombie's eat, or more idea's for carnage, bring it forth... We'll do our best to deliver... The idea's of yours we use we would like to credit you for so leave the name you would like to see in the game//games.
    Posting something cool very soon, almost done. :)

6. abruce42

abruce42 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    What will the price be for this and ZCC?
    Both look awesome.

Suggestion: What about having it like you CAN just stay on the ground level and dodge obstacles, OR from the ground you could like say jump onto a bench then onto a little ice cream parolor and finally on top of some buildings to get a different route that ends up going to the same place. Ha its a litle hard to understand but I got it from the game PP's Park Race on donutgames.com .

Looking forward to seeing progress on this. Ill be here the whole time, cuz I wanna help a lot.

7. Shinto

Shinto Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Spain
    B
    B
    B
    A
    Run Zemo Run. Killing Zemo. Zemo will die. (title)
    Controls: jump with all screen/flip when jumping
    button to attack or half screen attack/half screen to jump & flip.

Loving all your iPhone games

8. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    1. A
    2. B
    3. A
    4. A

My feeble title idea: "Run and Die (Again)!" :D

9. kellyx

kellyx Member

Feb 15, 2010
    Game Dev.//art
    CT. USA
    abruce42, Thanks and the running//Zemo as far as price we don't know right right this second. PP's Park Race sounds cool, I'll have to get it (maybe in four days, haha)

Shinto, Thanks, you and Se7en share parts of the same brain I think... look again when he posts, good stuff and idea's!! Nice death to Zemo lines too :).

LordGek, Thank you, I like Run and die again, hahahaha! So true, maybe as some kind og tag line?

We're thinking of other games to do with our characters so this is a Mustang muscle car I just did in illustrator, then Se7en will take it into Unity and we'll mix it with Demolition, carnage and our Zombies... Each Zombie will have a car, This will probably be Zemo's car and I'll give Pee Pee Boy a clunker, if you can think of cool clunkers that would be cool too... I don't want overwhelm anyone... Hopefully I'll own this car someday... Hmmm = Thanks for so much help and don't stop yet, many hours to go, whew.

[​IMG]

10. kellyx

kellyx Member

Feb 15, 2010
    Game Dev.//art
    CT. USA
    #10 kellyx, Feb 21, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
    I need to check the prices, but thank you for asking

11. se7en

se7en Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Okay, so this isn't amazing by any means but hey 1 day including animation is fine in my book : )

I have to get some sleep so I can crank on this tomorrow. I will check back in the AM, well my AM ; ) and we will make a decision on the setting street or rooftops and spinning then I will set to work and finish those.

Thanks for all of the input so far... you guys rocks!

12. se7en

se7en Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008

Crazy busy day! Everything was $%&ing with me. I needed to add a physics object for the camera to follow smoothly and animate the characters position while running and jumping. Only the camera can't jump or you will lose sight of upcoming obstacles.

Next up the animation looked stupid and I had to make it 16 frames. The end result is much better, but it took a long time to add the new frames and fix the problems with the old one. Characters need to actually plant their weight on one leg at a time while running just like humans : )

The visuals needed a quick tweak so that the city blocks are more like a parallax background. Check. The final piece of the puzzle was fine tuning the running speeds, flip animations, jump heights, etc. so that they look good and fit within our game design parameters. I wasted a lot of time changing physics numbers, but that's the way physics tuning works... not quickly ; )

I know Kelly has some great artwork and ideas for some new obstacles. Stay tuned : )

Thanks for all of the input so far - here is the result:
    1. 2 to 3 roof tops
    2. 0 to 5 for button attacks
    3. 3 to 2 for auto-flip (which is done!)
    4. 3 to 2 for falling to pieces

Since we are running out of time and it was pretty much a tie, we are going to keep the action on the street and add some new artwork for the long gaps that ZEmo will need to jump. For the attack button I was thinking that if you attack objects they blowup or you eat them. If you miss they either slow you down (small obstacles) or end your current run in a spray of blood and body parts : ) weeeeee! haha

Thanks again for all the great feedback!

se7en

13. kellyx

kellyx Member

Feb 15, 2010
    Game Dev.//art
    CT. USA
    #13 kellyx, Feb 22, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
    Zemo obsticles_in_game_art

NICE WORK, Se7en, Mahahaha!!
    Here's my work of the day... COULD you please vote on these, we can only put four out of five in for now... time crunch on the dev, end ;). Thanks so much for voting, KellyX

PS Could you rate in order of like too :), TXS

#1 Toxic_Waste
    #2_Garden
    #3_Piranha
    #4_Spike_Pit
    #5_Sewer_Pipes
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. doodlejumper

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
  15. se7en

se7en Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    haha awesome work Kelly... I heart the Toxic Pit!

[​IMG]

Here's a quick update from the code side - had to make a very stripped down very of the UI which took waay too long. Anyway, the buttons are already "wired" - the jump works and the attacks will work as soon as we do some animations tomorrow. Seriously running out of time!! haha

Must play MW2 now!!!

16. se7en

se7en Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Zombie Cannon is out in NZ!! Awesome news.

Anyone have input on the 3 gaps, I need to put these in today. Plus player attacks, explosions, smoke, fire and the ragdoll carnage : )

17. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

gratz on releasing zombie cannon carnage! looks great!

18. kellyx

kellyx Member

Feb 15, 2010
    Game Dev.//art
    CT. USA
    doodlejumper, thank you and I agree with your picks, I just took a look at my art and it needs some tweaks, eeks!! The pond looks like it's floating to me, I'm going to fix it and add more carnage to the scene's in general.
    My favorite is the Toxic Pit too Se7en, thanks, I'm working for us :)

So happy to read that our game ZCC is out in NZ now Se7en and thank you jak56! I Can't wait for the release here in the US too!!!!!

Back to work now and this project has been our saving grace as far as something awesome to do so I quit looking on the internet!!! Hahaha!

19. se7en

se7en Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    I am officially calling off day 3 on the game jam since we have spent way too much time on ZCC already today.

Tomorrow we will hit the ground running adding the rest of the action and content then putting it to rest. Maybe on the App Store ; )

Any feedback so far is more than welcome.

20. doodlejumper

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    He should jump over a bike rack!