Zombie Attack 2 Strategy

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by ArtNJ, Dec 1, 2009.

1. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    #1 ArtNJ, Dec 1, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
    Just got 18.5k on the graveyard...frustrating because I was doing FINE but playing with sound off and missed fact that base was being attacked. Anyway, here is my strategy post yours if you have gotten better.

Initial Spawn: I used a max saw tower in the middle on the border of the green, and to one side I used a level 4 slow tower, and a level 5 cannon tower on the other. The next row was 3 rifle towers. The idea is that the rifle towers decap some leading them to spend a lot of time wandering in the initial spawn area. The slow tower will also slow a bunch of them, leading the maxed saw tower and lvl 5 cannon tower to do serious damage. Two cannon towers in the front row with the saw would increase the chances of ripping the wings of flyers, not sure the slow tower is worth it. The decoy could also be considered instead of the saw, pretty sure the saw will do more damage, but the decoy would likely boost cannon damage some.

Mid Zone: A maxed flame tower for massive single target damage, and several level 4 cannon towers for good range/focus fire on stragglers. I max one cannon tower a bit further towards my base then the flame, and stand on one or the other whichever is safe. Not sure how to improve here, maybe more flame towers, but I am concerned about whether there DPS stacks.

Choke point (lower area to beneath and left of the mud hill): A secon maxed flame tower stands just outside the choke point, hitting all that go in. Slow tower just inside the choke point to slow flyers and fast zombies. Cannon towers dont make much sense as most mobs are decapitated and you dont get numbers going through the choke point. However, saw and or decoy can be considered.

Base Defense: Several machine guns are needed to decap any flyers that get through. Also, a maxed flame tower just left of the center of the base seems very effective in providing DPS on things inside the base.

I am not sure exactly how far this strategy can go, but I was definitely seeing killing slow down greatly by the unlucky silent end of my run, around wave 67.

I see the key points as follows: (1) make their intial emmergence spot into a an effective kill & decap zone; (2) use of 3 well placed max flame towers to provide real DPS (not sure if more can be used as dont know if the burn stacks); (4) at least a couple machine guns in the mid and base area to decap flyers -- I actually use a LOT of machine guns, but their DPS is not the best, so I am wondering if more flame towers make sense.

Please critique! Global high is over 30k, and I have doubts that this set-up can get that far. On level 67, new towers were already costing me like 800, with upgrades being 1400-1700. Was short on room for new towers as well.

2. Sparton

Sparton Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Game Designer (IUGO Mobile Entertainment)
    The Great White North (Canada)
    Most of my comments below are specific to the Graveyard level, but some of it also applies to other maps as well.

I don't use Rifles that much, or in as high quantity, except somewhat near the shack and behind most other defenses (as they have the range to still be useful at a distance, unlike most other turrets). I usually spam more high-level Cannons, with maybe a Decoy or two at level 6 behind the front ring of turrets that surrounds the zombie spawn area and still in the normal zombie walk path. A Choppa turret in the zombie walk path is usually still a good idea, but sometimes I swap it out for a Quakemaker or just another Cannon.

Placement in this area is extremely important. You want turrets setup so that zombies can't hug the walls of the level to go around your defenses, and you also want to ensure that a turret is placed that will be directly in the usual path that Brute zombies will walk. You may want to start a game with defenses nowhere near the zombie spawn and observe the zombie's walk patterns at mid levels (10-30) to see what I mean, then place turrets accordingly in future games.

I'm assuming you're talking about the area near the dried-up river. Cannons are a waste here, as you're not likely to have large groups of zombies milling around most of the time (and if you are, you need to tweak your initial spawn area turrets to not allow that). I'd suggest more flame turrets, as this is where you're usually only dealing with one or two zombies at a time. For added effect, use a Quake turret on the side of the dried-up river opposite of the shack, then use multiple Flame turrets on the shack-side of the river to capitalize on the slowed down zombies. Stacking slow from turret and terrain together is awesome.

Anything with a Pulse turret should work. Flame sounds good, but a Choppa turret up against the mud patch could also work.

In almost any map, I usually use three Flame's along the bottom-left corner, with guns filling out the edges to make a ring of 5 turrets around the shack. Along the usual zombie walk path, I usually have either more Flames, a level 6 Decoy, or an Axe turret, and outside of that I usually have Rifle turrets while maintaining good coverage with Pulse or sometimes Quakemaker turrets. Slowing zombies as they approach your shack may give you the few extra seconds needed to kill them without resorting to shack defense.

3. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Very interesting Sean. In my play style, 90% of zombies are decapitated early by the abundance of rifle turrets, and there is no "usual walk path" as they are mostly rambling around. I can see where preserving the usual walk path would be a possible usable advantage which might trump having zombies decapitated early and wandering around. The chief problem with my strategy is that from time to time headless ramblers get into the base area, as do the occassional fast zombie or flyer (escaping decap because the rifle turrets are busy) or a fat zombie (which cannot be decapitated), then with multiple targets in the base area, one can have problems. In this situation, there can be problems inflicting enough damage quickly enough.

Still...if your telling me flame turrets stacks, then I think I can tweak my strategy. I had assumed that if a target was "burning" another flame turrets burn damage would not stack, and that the result would be weak dps.

4. Sparton

Oct 26, 2009
    A headless zombie cannot be lead around with the Survivor; you effectively lose all control of leading him away from the Shack or into other defenses. It can be strategically sound to leave the heads on the suckers so that you can attract them all into a whirring Choppa or Decoy for obscene damage output. You need to be extremely careful, though, because leading around multiple high-level zombies can very quickly get you killed!

Also, Rifle's DPS is a fair bit lower than most other turrets. They're good for support behind other turrets, anti-Winged Horror defense, and general panic defense near the Shack when zombies slip through that you otherwise haven't corralled into other high-damage areas. The only time I use them in bulk is the Ruined Bridge map, because of the far more common sightings (and effectiveness) of Winged Horrors.

Err, sorry, didn't mean to imply that. When a zombie is burning, it's only burning once, not once per Flame turret that's attacking it. I mean that use as many as possible in one area when you're dealing with few zombies, as Flamethrowers have the highest single-zombie DPS in the game.

5. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Interesting...I somehow missed that the flame turrets had much higher DPS then the rifle turrets EVEN excluding burning. That ought to really help me regardless of whether I stick with the decap strategy or not.

I am also now understanding why I found decoys so useless...a headless zombie will ignore it.

I can probably rejigger the decap strategy to get into the mid 20s at least, interesting.

By the way, you need to update the turret info in the how to...noticed it doesnt match the ingame anymore as you likely tweaked the ingame without updating the how to.

6. Sparton

Oct 26, 2009
    Curses, we'll have to take a look at that. Thanks for the heads up.

7. Simontay78

Simontay78 Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Full Time iOS App Reviewer
    Singapore
    My strategy is pretty simple

1. Decoy Turret Surrounded with Flamethrower, Pulsewave & Cannon
    2. Rifle Turret Protect The Rear near the base
    3. Upgrade Or Add New Turret Base On Which is Cheaper
    4. Don't Waste Space, Squeeze as many turrets as possible
    5. Rush forward for Flash Beast, Attack it's backside As Soon As it's Out
    6. Don't Die too early in the game as Respawn takes longer each time you die
    7. Decoy Turret is extremely deadly to zombies with head, so avoid using Rifle & Chopps near Decoy
    8. Zombies with head follows you, lead them to their doom!
    9. Manage it well and you will get pretty high daily ranking! :D

This is my video on my review of my strategy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYFR-xGWUuM