Universal Zombicide: Tactics & Shotguns (Asmodee Digital)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Talbs, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Ft additional r, I’m still only really sticking with 3-4 core players. Buying an iap pack has led me to swap one in and one out (and all are at least level 5 when my top chars are level 9), but I haven’t diversified as much as I thought I might. Tbf, I did this with whq too, though - got a core team maxed out, then back and progressively maxed out the others.

Guess the difference here is that exp is a community resource (everyone shares the food they win), so there’s not the same incentive to play chars just to ensure they get exp. they can be levelled up without actually using them.

2. skoptic

skoptic Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2015
    Weirdly this is exactly the bit I don’t like. There’s none of this in the board game (there are non permanent skills per individual campaign based on the number of kills made on a char by char basis)

3. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    so would you say 40 missions around 15 mins each? or shorter -not speedrunning but not grinding either, just playing the missions as they come?

4. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    #44 Quoad, Apr 27, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    Plausible. Fair bit of beggaring around to do between missions too. (Not huge qties. But some stuff. Management. Weapons. Levelling.)

Edit: I’ve just replayed 3-3 for a purple crate. 30 mins. I’d say most missions around 3 on are 30 mins. For me. Anyhows.

ramzarules likes this.
  5. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Was torn between getting this and SFD: Rogue TRPG. Know they are a bit different with the latter also being a rogue like.

Thoughts?

6. Ijipop

Ijipop Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Hey Tony!

First you should read this review. I think it’s quite spot on.

https://www.pockettactics.com/reviews/sfd-rogue/

I played a couple of games and deleted it since it’s far from memorable. Too many great game on my device to waste time on not-so-good games.

Zombicide is quite enjoyable.
    Would give 7,5/10 in current state.

That is if you enjoy those kind of games.

anthony78 likes this.
  7. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Would agree.

SFD isn’t getting any playtime from me.

Ijipop likes this.
  8. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Anyone got a comparison they could make to warhammer Quest? This seems a bit like that kind of game but from what I’ve seen on the one YouTube playthrough available currently it seems like there’s a number of core differences such as the map is fully visible from the start and the zombies spawn and chase you. On the map there can be multiple paths to the objective giving some strategy.
    You also don’t pick up loot as such. Rather get cans of food to buy weapons and level characters. Thematically terrible, but ok.

I’ve noticed that much so far but hard to tell just how strategically deep this goes which is what I’m looking for.

I’m asking because if this is anything like warhammer Quest in that it’s pretty much repetitive playthrougs of small dungeons over and over again, then i might pass at least for the moment. I’ve been trying to revisit WQ1 lately and just find it’s too repetitive and not strategically deep at all.

How’s this by comparison?

Gwarmaxx likes this.
  9. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Thinner. Strategically.

Main strength, I’d say, is the character development. But as noted above, that doesn’t actually require you to play with characters, in order to level them up.

Some slightly different approaches are needed to levels. And characters do bring different things to the table. But, yeah, some similar thematic feels, but not to the same depth.

10. aconfusedkender

aconfusedkender Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    Which is a better butcher? Doug or Josh later on? I like Doug’s weapons better than Josh’s selection for now but wondering if I should start leveling up Josh instead.
    Currently everyone is lvl 6 and Josh is 4. Oh yeah forgot about Phil.
    I typically run Doug, Amy, Wanda for now but I’m only on 2-4. Fun game though!

Haven’t purchased any iap champs yet since I’m not sure it has any new levels along with it. While the champs might be cool I feel like I should try it with the core folks and make sure it’s attainable.

Ijipop likes this.
  11. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Less deep than WHQ? Really? You can't go that much less.

12. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #52 Gwarmaxx, Apr 30, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    i was wondering the same thing... less deep than WHQ?!?!

imho, and is just MY OPINION, both WHQ are maybe among the stupidest games in all iOS history, i don't see how a game can have less depth than both those hyped & overrated piece of junk...

13. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Glad it’s not just me...

Currently sharing yours and David’s opinion. I think it’s a bit of nostalgia hype, and those that do like WHQ are liking it for reasons that others (we) are not looking for in it. Such as I’ve read WHQ 1 referred to in admiration as a lightly strategic RPG. The strategy is very basic and the story is loosely held together by pop up story/flavour boxes. The visuals are great though. But otherwise the gameplay is so basic. I can’t believe it when I read some commenters saying they’ve got dozens of hours in it. Someone said they had 50+ hours in it...crazy.

So I’m also surprised to hear this zombicide implementation is even more strategically thin.

Gwarmaxx likes this.
  14. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    i like Zombified a lot, and i agree on its lack of complexity, but to say that it is less deep than WHQ is insane.

15. Son of Anarchy

Son of Anarchy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2015
    Male
    Shadow Runner
    Australia
    #55 Son of Anarchy, Apr 30, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    This may not be very complex but it sure is very fun to play. I love the intensity mechanic, when the tension goes up the zombies spawn more powerful, and the characters skills come into play the higher it gets. It’s also fun finding new weapons.

I played WHQ1 to death and I admit to buying all the dlc it had (which was a LOT). In the end it became a chore to level up characters and I always never had enough gold (consumable iap) it wasn’t fun anymore, which is important in a game for me. I also enjoyed Deathwatch, but only played WHQ2 for five minutes before deleting it, it was a completely different game than the first.

I’ve always liked tbs games but sometimes I just don’t wanna think too much, which is why I think I’m loving Zombicide so much, it has the perfect balance of fun and pick up/put down game play, and mountains of atmosphere. It’s like playing the Walking Dead and being on the winning side.

stubbieoz likes this.
  16. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    +1 to that. Including the whq dlc :cool: Literally got a phone upgrade because of the release of whq2 [spits] only to be sorely disappointed [spits].

Save your pennies on this one perhaps, talbs.

stubbieoz likes this.
  17. onlyphantom

onlyphantom Member

Dec 18, 2017
    Played to Stage 6 and in the last Mission (area 5-5) got a nasty bug. One of my characters, Doug, uses a chainsaw and the mechanics work as follow:
    Roll dices, then pick the zombies to attack. Sometimes you get a critical hit, but you pick your target.

So this time I got 4 dice, but only 3 zombies left. Instead of automatically chopping the 3 zombies I get to select who to deal that 4 round of damage to.

Pick the first zombie - kill
    Second zombie (low hp remaining) - kill
    Third and last zombie (quite a lot of hp) - got lucky with a critical hit and kill

Now the problem is I have a 4th damage round and no zombies to pick anymore in striking distance. Nothing works, clicking on the other character icons to switch doesn’t work. The UX wouldn’t give up on that “choose 4th target screen” so had to force quit and restart. Which is a shame after 30 mins of time sunk in and also got a legendary item from one of the crate all of that gone.

Still like the game but now it’s worrying that the bug happens again :( I know it’s just the first few releases but because the game doesn’t save mid-way and you can lose precious legendary loots it is especially brutal :(

18. onlyphantom

onlyphantom Member

Dec 18, 2017
    If it matters I’m using a Concrete Saw (weapon) when encountering that bug.

19. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Been thinking about getting this game, but this has convinced me to forget about it.
    If there is one thing that I really dislike in these type of tactical rpg’s is not being able to save mid battle.
    It’s why I haven’t finished FFT:WotL. They removed that ability when upgrading the game from 32 to 64bits.

At least WHQ gets that right. ;)

20. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Yeah. They’re long, too.

Also doesn’t help that there are somewhat laboured turns - do I really need 5s showing the zombies' turn if every single one of them is immobile / trapped behind doors? Could there be an “auto skip" option for showing spawning zombies, instead of me needing to hit “skip” every time (after the already spawned zombies have moved). Could I possibly have an option to skip the shooting animation after my die roll? Does each char really need to have finalised their move before I move / select my next char? Could the game not auto select a different char if I’ve selected someone I want to use, in the split second adter the previous char has ended their turn?

These are niggles tbf, but they do collectively contribute to levels taking significantly longer than necessary for non gameplay issues. Which does become a bit of a headache when a level is then over 30 mins long.