Universal Zero/Sum (by Squeezebox Software)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, May 16, 2018.

1. thatfoolsean

thatfoolsean Active Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 30, 2013
    Game Designer / Writer / Friend
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hahahaha! Loved the video!

"To be fair it will be quite a few dollars"

"He does have a point!"

Great stuff!

2. Brightsiderus

Brightsiderus Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2017
    #22 Brightsiderus, May 18, 2018
    Last edited: May 18, 2018
    Why the bad guy is Russian? It’s like a beaten stereotype.
    And also kinda awkward about first question to a professor “Was it the work of Terrorists?” >_<
    Also, can you add possibility to skip dialogues and retry parts of sequence without retrying whole chapter?

3. thatfoolsean

Patreon Bronze

May 30, 2013
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey Brightsiderus! Greatnotes!

With the bad guy, I was trying to parody those 80s action movies with the Eastern European bad guys, so I totally agree that it's a beaten stereotype, I was trying to poke some fun at that fact!

The parody is also why I have the silly line about the terrorists. It's goofy and unrealistic, but that's also the tone of the whole game, I hope!

And yes! I am working right now on skipping and retrying functionality! You'll see it in the next update!!!!

4. Sexy Pirate

Sexy Pirate Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2014
    Call centre / Parent
    Newcastle England
    Reading the review description and comments here I’m picking this up. I’ve got a 2 year old and a six week old so could do with the distraction haha.

5. bruab

bruab Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    I like it, but it's a little annoying in that EVERY move is counted toward the stars, even if I erase it and try something else. Entering +, then changing it to - then back to + again is 3 moves. So if I want a perfect score, I have to start the whole level over. Even that wouldn't be so bad except that there's no way to skip the cheesy acting, over and over, tap-tap-tap-tap to try to get past it back to the game. Very painful for perfectionists like me, who want to 3 star every puzzle.

Am I missing an undo button or something? Seems like I have to solve the puzzles entirely in my head and then enter them perfectly. I don't see wanting to do that for very long. I want more of a pick-up-and-play game, where the difficulty comes from ratcheting up the number of interlocking equations, not me doing more and more in my head before dictating it out in the game.

6. thatfoolsean

Patreon Bronze

May 30, 2013
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks! And yeah, sometimes games are the best distractions from the chaos of parenting!

7. thatfoolsean

Patreon Bronze

May 30, 2013
    Los Angeles, CA
    Totally understand what you're saying. I'm working on a fix for the next update that will allow you to, among other things, restart a puzzle from the Pause Screen, and allow you to skip the cut scenes! Should be out soon!

8. bruab

bruab Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    That sounds like just the ticket! Thanks!

9. thatfoolsean

Patreon Bronze

May 30, 2013
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey Jamie!

The latest update to Zero/Sum is OUT! And with it, not only can you continue playing from the puzzle you were on , you can also replay a puzzle via the pause menu, AND skip cut scenes! Sorry it took me a little longer than expected, but it's here! Lemme know what you think!

10. thatfoolsean

Patreon Bronze

May 30, 2013
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey Bruab!

The fix is LIVE! Now you can restart a puzzle via the pause menu, to try and get all of the stars!

11. thatfoolsean

Patreon Bronze

May 30, 2013
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey Curtis!

New update is out now! And you can skip those cutscenes via a small button in the corner of the screen... just as you so smartly suggested!

12. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Thanks for sharing. I honestly didn't get the "math". Your vid helped...I think. The vid defintely re-piqued my interest and am downloading to give it a shot.

13. yankeeblue000

yankeeblue000 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2016