Zenonia or Dungeon Hunter?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by dumbname, Nov 2, 2009.

?

Zenonia or Dungeon Hunter

1. Zenonia

24 vote(s)
    38.1%
  2. Dungeon Hunter

39 vote(s)
    61.9%
  1. Pug4Death

Pug4Death Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    I'm comparing QUALITY and POLISH.

2. kingkong120

kingkong120 Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Lol biast much?

3. Dark_Messenger

Dark_Messenger Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    I just finished D.H and has started to play Z. So far i have played about 10h and i really must say that Z is the winner here. They are completely different games but if i had to choose i'd go with Z every day.

Ask yourself this: Do i want a RPG or a hack n slash?

=)

4. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

Dungeon Hunter has really horrible movement (not the controls, just how movement was designed). You're going to get stuck on corners unable to move VERY often. Also it's much more linear than Zenonia, and overall less fun gameplay since there are very few types of enemies.
    Zenonia's 2D sprite graphics are also much better in my opinion; it's much more fluid, much less loading times and loading frequencies (DH loads way too often... and way too long), and in my opinion feels more of an action RPG than DH.

5. kingkong120

kingkong120 Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Yup I agree completely with this. But I still think that Dungeon Hunter will appeal more. The repairing/eating, while adding realism, just becomes an annoyance later on. But both games are very well designed, and if you could get both, I would, because they are the best RPGs available for now.

6. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    It's a matter of taste, Pug4Death. Stating you opinion in categorical terms ("negatives in every aspect") doesn't make it any more a fact -- it's still an opinion. Some people like Zenonia, some people like Dungeon Hunter. Some people who love Diablo hated DH, others loved it. Some people who are deep into J/K RPGs thought that Zenonia was a shallow piece of crap; others liked it a lot for what it was. This is not an argument that can be won.

Then again, RoyalCanadian is doing the same thing when he says that Zenonia is not "a real game."

7. Dark_Messenger

Oct 3, 2009
    Lol am i missunderstanding things here or is zenonia full of drugreleted stuff/talk/people!? Crackhouses etc? Lol wierd for a game like this.. =)

8. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

Zenonia developers tried to put some humor into the game, so yes there are places like "crack houses", people whose names resemble food items, rude talking puppies who want to chew on undead bones, or out-of-role humor. I thought it was well done, since it's relaxing to read what the NPC says. It highly contrasts Dungeon Hunter, where NPCs ONLY say things along the lines of "save the world for us since we're too cheap to hire other people to help you!" or "you must get this for me!" or "this is my destiny!"; it seriously gets lame after a few lines.

9. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    I prefer DH over Zenonia but I'm a 3d kind of guy.
    If only Nintendo would be cool and do Zelda and Mario on the iPhone....

10. Dark_Messenger

Oct 3, 2009
    Wow. Just finished Zenonia and it totally rocked! I am amazed that it existed these kinds of games on the iphone. If you are the slightest RPG fan then you must run to your local appstore and buy this! Easely comparable with any similar game on console. The only real negative in my opinion was that the musicloops were really short, i mean extremly short. Its not funny grinding for hours and have a 5 sec loop going on and on and on, even if the music is good. =)

All significant RPG elements for this type of game is there. Even the oversized swords a la FF. Truly a must have type of game in my opinion.

11. kmacleod

kmacleod Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    Artist / Writer / Designer
    California
    Zenonia never really clicked for me. Blurry graphics, terrible menus, and some irritating script and translation issues really hold it back, even though it has a good deal of depth.

Dungeon Hunter is exactly the game I'd been waiting a year to be released. I've always loved Untold Legends on the PSP, and DH is a close enough approximation to be a stand out title on the iPhone.

So no contest here: Dungeon Hunter is my favorite hands-down.

12. minameismud

minameismud Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    bought both, put about 10 hours into Zenonia and realized i'd have to grind at least two levels to continue (based on how quickly and early in a dungeon i died). with DH, yeah, it's linear. yeah, it's Diablo for dummies. yeah, it's easy. but yeah, it's a lot of fun. if you play games to be challenged because you like dying, don't get DH. if you play games to have fun and experience a [semblance of] a story and pwn some/all enemies, get DH. this DH thread has a ton of info with character build-ups for each of the three classes and what each spell/skill does a few pages in. worth a skim if you're thinking about DH.

comparing the two stat-for-stat is kinda dumb - you're basically trying to compare chrono trigger (Zenonia) with diablo (DH). though think about those two: which would you like to play? that's your answer.

13. Dark_Messenger

Oct 3, 2009
    If you really dig theese cartoonish rpg top view types (non turnbased) then it is not possible that you'll be disapointed at zenonia. Everything that is characteristic for those games are there and its even well done thats why im confident. Sure, the crackhouses was a little awkward and the story and characters cant be compared with FFVIIs (which can?), one or two words might be misspelled but that mean nothing in the big picture. The game as a whole was surprisingly well executed, even the gameplay was really well balanced. Later on there's no hardcoregrinding but exactly the "right dose" for it to be fun and not just frustrating. For me this was a sweet comeback to the old rpg-genre and im sure a would liked it as much if i played it on a console. Thats a pretty good score!