Universal ZenDots (by Little White Bear Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    It depends on the ad. We have no way of knowing which is which sort of promotion, but from what I've heard, the majority of the video ads only pay when the player chooses to install the game via the ad. A much smaller percentage of them are paid per view. However, the more ads that are viewed, the more likely it is that more profitable ads are served to the game. So, in short, most of the money comes from actual installs only, but the total views helps bring more valuable ads to the table. But there definitely isn't any sort of X number of views = Y money. Hope that makes sense.

No plans to change the icon right now. But that doesn't mean we won't in the future. :)

2. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Thanks! Hope you enjoy it! :)

3. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Was thinking it would be cool if you had an infinite number of dots, but your score is based on how few dots you can beat the level with.

4. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    That is an interesting idea. However, if we were to do that, it'd probably be in the form of a separate game. A Game Center leaderboard type of thing, since actual performance and skill could be compared. Definitely something to think about. :)

5. vectorarchitekt

Dec 29, 2013
    #45 vectorarchitekt, May 10, 2015
    Last edited: May 10, 2015
    Can you add a pause button? Or is there a way to pause already?

Edit: I see you can if you tap the top.

So, ideally how many levels could I climb to? You mentioned in this forum that there are an infinite number, so do patterns just repeat after awhile? But numerically I could keep going?

6. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Actually, the top doesn't pause, it just takes you to the menu. Limitation of a single scene Sprite Kit model. Pausing a single scene pauses everything, thus disabling the menu. In the future, I may make the menu a separate scene. Currently, any time you leave the game, or interrupt the game via voluntary or involuntary notifications of slide up/downs, it will pause. To unpause when you return, you just tap the screen once.

The game has an infinite number of levels. However, there are currently only 200 unique levels. It just repeats 1-200 each time. When more are added, it repeats 1-300, etc. But the level number always increases. I know of at least one person who was in high 300's last week.

7. vectorarchitekt

Dec 29, 2013
    Wow. I'm only on 37. I love this game! It will be a go-to for A quick fix for quite some time to come. Whatever you did on that last update, the game really is more "zen" now.

8. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Yeah, we were pretty surprised somebody was already up in the hundreds. I'm guessing they play it hours a day. Being on level 37 isn't bad at all! It's definitely a go at your own pace, whenever you feel like whacking some dots, kinda game. :)

9. vectorarchitekt

Dec 29, 2013
    When your last dot goes down the pit but you cleared the level, you really should win. Three times I've done that and went for an extra dot and received the "no new videos available try again later". Which forces me to redo the level. Not a fan of this rule....

10. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    I understand how it would seem that the level has been cleared, but it definitely hasn't, according to the rules of the game. Dislodging a dot from the top isn't worth anything, nor does it count towards clearing the level. You only get a point when it is successfully removed from the screen, prior to losing all the white dots. Changing the rules for the last couple seconds of a level seems inappropriate. Rather, the final moments of a level is when the player should be protecting their white dot the most.

I do agree, it can be confusing to not have any dots remaining, and the level not be cleared. In the last update, I added a notice when this particular case happens, to explain why the level hasn't been cleared. In a future update, I may somehow block the dots from draining, once the last white dot has been lost, to further illustrate that the level has been lost. However, no plans to change the general rules, as the idea of negotiating the safety of your white dot, especially in the last few seconds of the level, is very very deliberate.

Regarding the lack of a video being available, I just added a second video ad company to the mix in the update that is currently in review with Apple. So there will hopefully be a lot more videos available, so you won't run into the lack of a free extra ball in these cases. :)

11. vectorarchitekt

Dec 29, 2013
    I see what you are saying. Thanks for the pause option. You know how easy mobile gaming gets interrupted....