Universal ZenDots (by Little White Bear Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Apr 15, 2015.

1. rezn

rezn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 8, 2014
    Male
    Coder/Keyer in medical ICD 10
    Reno, NV
    Puzzle Blitz was awesome and TanZen is a classic. Nuff said.

2. Valentia

Valentia Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Jan 20, 2009
    Female
    Retired!
    California
    TanZen! Yes, that was it! It was one of the first apps I bought, along with M.O.T.E.S, Cubicman, and Aqua Forest. Great memories. :)

Congrats on going the distance! It really is great to see an indy dev keep at it, still putting out quality games after all this time. :)

3. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Thanks!!! :)

4. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Thanks! Yeah, the App Store was so small back then! I think there were only about 1,000 games when TanZen was launched.

5. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Dig the new update. Left a review.

6. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Glad you like it! And thank you! :)

7. vectorarchitekt

Dec 29, 2013
    Tried to upload a photo but couldn't

Stumbled upon a game called "Atom- a Simple Puzzle Game, by Andrei Ardelean. His game uses your exact icon. I've seen clones before, but never the same icon....

8. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Wow, you're right! Thanks for telling me. I will notify Apple, and hopefully they will get it taken down. Stuff like this usually takes several days at least, in my experience.

9. vectorarchitekt

Dec 29, 2013
    I can't imagine why someone would go through the work of coding a simple iOS game and then be that lazy. Did you create it from scratch?
    While on the subject, you could always change it to the level 2 colors :)

10. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Just filled out the form for Apple. We'll see what happens. And yes, I created the icon myself. They definitely went the lazy route and stole an icon that recently got featured by Apple. It doesn't even resemble anything in their screenshots, so they're just trying to confuse people into getting their app. Flagged both their free and paid versions of it. Thanks for the heads up! :)

11. vectorarchitekt

Dec 29, 2013
    Need to make a request.
    Would you consider upping the amount of dots to 5 or higher based on a one-time purchase?
    Say always get 5 dots for $1.99 or 10 dots for $3.99 or some such rates?
    Not that I don't want to support you but there's only so many times I would want to pay for extra dots that will get used up on no time. They always hit the middle of the paddles eventually, which ends up on a non-zen like experience, lol.

12. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    I'll have to think on that one. I understand your thinking on this. It's just something I have to consider in relation to the game's current income structure, and how it would positively or negatively affect things. It's certainly a nice feature to have, I agree. But if it severely impacts my ability to maintain the game, that would be a bad thing for everybody. So yes, good idea. Don't know yet if I can do it. Will give it some thought. :)

13. vectorarchitekt

Dec 29, 2013
    Thanks, again I understand your need for financial support to keep things going, either with the purchase or ad watching.

Well then what about random level generation so that each time you play the patterns are different so you don't feel as stuck when you lose after 3-4 balls?

14. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    I'd probably not do that one, as that would take away most of the point of level progression. Currently, the reward for finishing a level is getting a new pattern. If the pattern was different after every loss, then that takes away the entire reward for a win.

The game is designed to be very winnable. It does take practice, but then it's fairly straightforward after that. When I get a chance, I may make a youtube video illustrating how to win levels without losing more than a couple balls each time. The game is all about technique, and learning to control the ball. That's when it becomes zen. :)

15. vectorarchitekt

Dec 29, 2013
    Ok, thank you. Though I'd still think that winning levels and scoring the highest number of levels won would be incentive enough, but hey it's your game
    I still try to get better at it. I always sucked at pinball and brick breaker games

16. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Haven't had a chance to make a video yet, but my very best advice to improve would be to aim for the sides, rather than the middle. And also don't frantically hit the flippers. The more times times you hit the ball, the more energy it has. Controlled flipper use equals a controlled ball.

17. vectorarchitekt

Dec 29, 2013
    Nice update. Left a review. I've been making better progress.

18. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Thanks, glad you like it! And good to hear you're improving. :)

19. vectorarchitekt

Dec 29, 2013
    Up to level 14.
    Just curious, if someone watches an ad, does that generate revenue for you or does it have to be bunch of them before it makes an impact?

Any chance you could change your icon to one of your prettier patterns and colors combos? Some of them are so pleasing to the eye.

I know I'm a pain in your ass, but I do love your game.

20. GamerDog

GamerDog Active Member

Interesting take on the standard bubble shooters

There are so many bubble shooters these days, chucking a pinpall style game at the base is a cool idea, I hope it goes really well for you guys. I'll have to check it out.