Universal Zen Pinball - by Zen Studios

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sun Vulcan, Nov 30, 2011.

?

Which of the first three tables do you prefer? (only vote if you've played all three)

1. Sorcerer's Lair

48.0%
  2. Wolverine

23.0%
  3. Captain America

16.4%
  4. Don't like any of them

12.5%
  1. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    They just released 2 new tables in a "Marvel Women of Power" 2-pack. While the A-Force one didn't do a lot for me, the Champions table is really fun (I prefer the tables with lots of fun sub-games going on all at once, which Champions delivered on but A-Force felt a lot more linear in the objectives you needed to complete.

2. JCman7

JCman7 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Mechanical Engineering
    NY
    Interesting how they increased the price by selling it as a two pack

3. xjaff

xjaff Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    Barbie over at the Zen Studios blog said that the tables are getting more complex and developing for higher end hardware adds development time, plus keeping the premium licenses, all adds costs so the prices of tables are increasing.

They're still a good deal if you ask me. I am surprised at how low they have priced their tables thus far. Plus there will always still be sales :)

Have you tried the new tables yet?

4. xjaff

xjaff Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    While A-Force has a very clear main missions to wizard mode path, I actually found that A-Force does have stackable modes so you can get many of them going at once. Multiple times I have had that hit the titanium head side mission going at the same time as a main mission plus that hit the car on the left ramp side mission. I think I may also have enabled the a-force tower hurry up during other missions as well. I have had moments where I had to stop and pick which mode to focus on (main mode for bigger points but harder to complete vs side mode for instant smaller points that are easier to complete).

5. xjaff

xjaff Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    Anyone else notice that the forward nudge is no longer working with the touch control scheme?

6. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Hi all,

The Bethesda update just landed. I'm going to save someone $2. The Doom table is ridiculously non authentic and just plain awful. I wish I could get my money back and I never ever wish I could get my money back. I was thoroughly disappointed being a Doom fan playing Doom since I was a kid. There's some woman's voice constantly talking and none of the creatures are authentic to the doom series. I don't get it.

If anyone else picks up the Skyrim table I'd be interested in that one. I'd like impressions first though.

Billy

7. HotHamBoy

HotHamBoy Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2015
    #947 HotHamBoy, Dec 8, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    The Doom table is absolutely authentic - to the 2016 DooM game. It's also prossibly the best table of the three.

I highly recommend it!

For the record, these tables are back to $2 each. If the Women of Power bundle put you off, have no worries here. I would guess the Marvel raised the rent on them. The Bethesda Bundle is $11 everywhere else, so hooray for mobile!

@Billy
    If you have a PS3, PS4 or PS Vita you can try a demo for every table. This might be true for Steam, too. The Skyrim and Fallout 4 tables are much more complex takes on the Epic Quest concept.

@xjaff the forward nudge bug was fixed in a recent update

8. Duke12

Duke12 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2013
    If only you could hide that black button on doom and skyrim. Real eyesore

9. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    Yea what's that about? Several tables do that and I never understood it. No matter how many times you tap it it doesn't go away and I don't even see a purpose on any of the tables it appears on.

Does anyone know?

Billy

10. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Soooo, did you like the Fallout table? Any good? Saved me two bucks on the Doom table. I'll pass on that. Thanks! Interested in seeing some imps for the other two!

11. HotHamBoy

Feb 1, 2015
    #951 HotHamBoy, Dec 8, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    I will do a full write-up on all three tables in a few hours. I just need more time with them first. It will be written from the perspective of someone who plays a lot of real life pinball and also enjoys Zen for what it is. I can tell you right now that all three tables are really lovingly crafted for fans of each game. Lots of clever implementation of series features.

Stay tuned.

12. Duke12

Duke12 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Well you can access inventory if you long press it on skyrim, dont know about else

13. HotHamBoy

Feb 1, 2015
    If you hold it in Doom it allows you to change guns.

All 3 tables are much more complex than what we are used to. Skyrim is very complex with lots of stopping and using the menus. It's a very accurate interpretation of the Skyrim experience, lol. Your character's progress is persistent between games.

14. Skinypupy

Skinypupy Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2010
    I love, love, love the Skyrim table. It feels like an full-fledged RPG, as you progress a character starting from level 1. It's very true to Skyrim in that skills improve as you actually use them, and you have to level up X number of skills to hit the next level. I just dinged 11, and have taken my warrior from a scrub dressed in rags to a fully armored (semi)bad-ass. The quest structure is well done, you can access towns, inns, shops, etc. and it all feels very consistent with the actual game. It's really a remarkable blend of pinball and RPG. Now if they'd just quit referring to High Hrothgar as "The High Hrothgar"...drives me nuts.

Regarding the persistent black button, you hold it down to access inventory, equip magic or weapons, change skills, etc. It's a little awkward and takes some getting used to, but I don't even really notice it any more.

I've only given the other two a cursory look at this point, because I can't tear myself away from Skyrim. Doom seems to be very authentic to the 2016 version of the game. I'm not a huge Fallout fan, so I can't speak much to that one. I just know it felt particularly difficult to start missions on the two games I've played.

15. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    Nice!! Thank you for the Skyrim impression. I'm going to go buy it right now. Skyrim is one of the best games ever made. Hands down.

Billy

16. HotHamBoy

Feb 1, 2015
    #956 HotHamBoy, Dec 10, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
    Buckle up, this is a review-in-progress:

Doom - The simplest of the three tables is still pretty complex, even by Zen standards. It's my pick for most visually-appealing of the three, too. It is as good an adaptation of the 2016 game as you could ask for, which means 2016 has been very kind to Doom fans. The thumping soundtrack cranks the intensity up to 11 and the blood-red haze during missions gives the table an atmosphere most Zen tables lack. The chainsaw launcher is one of my favorites in the Zen catalogue and the giant cyberdemon roaring at you makes for a great centerpiece to the table.

When you start a game you will be asked to pick a difficulty: Hurt Me Plenty allows for ball savers and extra balls, Nightmare does not but increases your scores. Missions are activated from the giant titan skull's gaping mouth. These are untimed and stack. If you run out of health, however, you will fail and respawn with 100 hp. Completing missions provides Argent Cells for increasing Health, Ammo and Armor.

Table features include a mini-playfield game of Arkanoid, a spin disc, bumpers you can manually rotate, enemies that pop up and strafe on the playfield, powerups that can appear and be collected, guns that can be acquired and equipped, several multiball and frenzy modes... and much more!

This table has a nice flow and a ton of depth while not having as many stop-and-go moments as Fallout and Skyrim. I think it might be the easiest of the three in this pack.

I highly recommend this one to Doom and pinball fans, alike. A great table for $2. You will not exhaust this one easily between the two difficulties.

Next up... Skyrim!

17. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    I haven't played the new Doom I guess that's why I don't get it or like it. I'm going by the originals. I guess I'll have to get it once my new motherboard arrives.

Billy

18. HotHamBoy

Feb 1, 2015
    #958 HotHamBoy, Dec 10, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
    Skyrim - Holy moly, this table is deep! Missions, sidequests, monsters, loot! Skyrim's sweeping score will accompany you on a pinball RPG so accurate to its source material that you will spend just as much time in the menus as you would in the real Skyrim!

Did you like Epic Quest? Did you wish it went even deeper? Then Skyrim is your table. The game starts with you creating a character. Each race offers different bonuses. Everytime you start another game thereafter, you will be given the option of continuing your character's progress or starting anew. Unlike Epic Quest, where actions in battles were limited specific ramp shots, Skyrim has that AND various monsters that pop up on the playfield and must be bashed to death. As you complete missions and sidequests and defeat monsters you will gain experience, which will level you up, and pick up loot, which includes gold, potions and armor and weapons to be equipped. Your character, standing to the side of the table, will change their apeparance based on what you equip them with! Additional passive bonuses can be acquired by joining new factions. There's even a little dungeon maze your character will occasionally navigate to pick up loot and a lock-picking minigame. And of course Dovahkin Multiball!

The centerpiece of the table is a massive dragon who will blow fire that will damage your character should the ball hit the burning lane. Dragon events are triggered when you learn new Shouts. Sometimes the dragon lands in the middle of the playfield and can be struck with the ball! Defeating the dragon is quite the task, but there are many dragons to be slain!

Skyrim is a little dingy and gray compared to the more vibrant Doom table, but it's nice enough looking. This is by far the most complex table Zen has ever created. The fact that you will often be answering yes/no questions, opening up the inventory to equip things (hold the black launch button to open/select, press both flippers to go back), buying stuff in shops, etc, means a lot of stopping the action. This will probably be a big turn off for some, but it absolutely feels like an authentic RPG experience and is quite rewarding to the patient.

This may be the crown jewel of the Bethesda Bundle and comes highly recommended for a mere $2. There's a lot to do and see here, I feel, and the layout is fun and engaging.

Last, but not least... Fallout!

19. JCman7

JCman7 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Mechanical Engineering
    NY
    I need to get back into playing! Takes up so much space though I have no space on my iPad anymore and can't figure out what's hogging it all

20. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Crack open settings and take a look into General > Storage > Manage Storage and see.