Universal Zen Pinball - by Zen Studios

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sun Vulcan, Nov 30, 2011.

?

Which of the first three tables do you prefer? (only vote if you've played all three)

1. Sorcerer's Lair

48.0%
  2. Wolverine

23.0%
  3. Captain America

16.4%
  4. Don't like any of them

12.5%
  1. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    They were $1.99 yesterday as well. Oh well.

2. amusing Grace

amusing Grace Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Music, Muse, Magick
    Berlin, Germany
    The sale lasted for about a week and ended on the 1st of April.
    Sorry you missed it.

3. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Are the South Park Tables good? I don't really follow South Park, so I don't care much about whatever South Park Thematics they have - I do care about how fun the tables are to play. I can't really say ANY of the Zen tables are bad, but there are some that are definitely much better than others. So do you like these better than other tables, or do you play them a few times, have some fun, and go back to the other tables?

4. JCman7

JCman7 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Mechanical Engineering
    NY
    I'm not a South Park fan but bought them one a few weeks ago the other this week on sale. Both are actually pretty fun, a little goofy but fun. Some interesting mechanics in play like the spinning mission wheel.

5. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    While evaluating the funness of a table is pretty subjective, I know I personally am a big fan of tables that have a lot of different little modes you can open up in any order you choose. The South Park tables were great in this regard even if you didn't get some of the little in jokes they were referencing. The Venom table, on the other hand, while it might be fun thematically, I found really frustrating. On the Venom table you'll always need to figure out how to get around or through the huge central wall before you can access the rest of the table with every ball you launch.

6. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    I super agree. The South Park tables are both just fun (subjective) and silly (also subjective). I'd get the main South Park table first and save Butters for if you really dig it. I also agree about the Venom table, which looks cool and is a great character, but is a really difficult table that ends in frustration a lot.

But I do support Zen making tables with continuing variety. I mean, with this many pinball tables, it really amazes me how switching between them doesn't feel repetitive or too "same-y."

I'm also really digging the Castlestorm table right now.

7. JCman7

JCman7 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Mechanical Engineering
    NY
    I agree they really do a great job in making the tables unique

8. TheMerc

TheMerc Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2012
  9. MasterRron

MasterRron Member

Feb 27, 2015
    Economist
    Rome
    I'm actually kind of curious to see that new Sorcerer's Lair table

10. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    Looks so cool! Cannot wait for these two new tables! (AOU and SWRebels)

11. xjaff

xjaff Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    Completely agree with this, every table is different. They are all good.

12. xjaff

xjaff Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    Which table is this? I haven't heard of a new Sorcerer's Lair. Or do you mean the new Avengers table? That looks sweet.

13. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    This new Ultron table is a blast ans managed one small tweak I hope they'll add retroactively to all of the existing games. Once I entered my initials at the end of an Ultron game, they were pre-entered by default the next time I was asked to enter a score! A tiny tweak that means a lot to me.

14. amusing Grace

amusing Grace Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Music, Muse, Magick
    Berlin, Germany
    A very welcomed tweak indeed. Thanks for the heads up, hope they implement it in the other tables, too.

15. xjaff

xjaff Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    Nice, that is a welcome tweak. I hope they implement it in the other tables as well.

So how is the new Ultron table? I have been trying to buy it but have been getting a connection error with a message to try again later. Will keep trying, I am looking forward to it - the sample videos look sweet.

16. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    It's good fun. Nothing super amazing but I like how it allows you, much like the South Park tables, to work on triggering several modes simultaneously. I think they even do at least some of the original Avenger table tricks with certain characters' balls working better in various modes.

17. xjaff

xjaff Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    Cool, thanks for the info. I was finally able to buy it after several attempts, so I am just checking it out now.

18. Sun Vulcan

Sun Vulcan Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2011
    Star Wars Rebels available and Portal Pinball announced!

Valve and Zen Studios have revealed the fruits of their recent collaboration, taking one of the most beloved game series of the past decade, Portal, and giving it the pinball treatment! Portal pinball will be available on Zen’s pinball platforms the week of May 25th, 2015.

Crafted in collaboration with Valve and Zen Studios, Aperture Laboratories is proud to reveal the “Aperture Science Heuristic Portal Pinball Device”, proving that persistent experimentation is not only the hallmark of good science for the benefit of mankind, but also incalculably fun!

Guide Chell and Wheatley through test chambers by navigating portals, using aerial faith plates, defeating turrets and facing other obstacles, and battling against GLaDOS as you attempt to escape the facility and reach the surface. Team up with ATLAS and P-Body for their Cooperative Testing Initiative Multiball and wreak havok on the Turret Factory by discovering Ratman’s hidden mini playfield.

See you on the leaderboards… there will be cake.

http://blog.zenstudios.com/?p=5217

19. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Found this cute little preview, likely the PC version, but still a good indication of what to expect with the iOS version of the Portal table:

http://www.polygon.com/2015/5/5/8550339/valve-portal-zen-pinball-table-gameplay-video#ooid=tzNnh2dDo3fiYgCVpsZ7XYkId485OA8g

20. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Are others getting the option to update the Age of Ultron table but then the game not seeming to acknowledge the update was completed?