Universal Zen Pinball - by Zen Studios

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sun Vulcan, Nov 30, 2011.

?

Which of the first three tables do you prefer? (only vote if you've played all three)

1. Sorcerer's Lair

48.0%
  2. Wolverine

23.0%
  3. Captain America

16.4%
  4. Don't like any of them

12.5%
  1. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    What happened to The Fantastic Four table that was pictured in the upcoming thread, I assume it ws shelved for a future release? :confused:

2. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

No. You definitely won't be charged twice. Installed it on iPhone 4 (after iPad 2):

[​IMG]

That means: "You bought that before. Tap 'OK' to dowload once more for free." And yes, surprise: It runs smoother on iPad 2 than on iPhone 4 (even after a reboot and switching off all video options in the settings; but nevertheless very well playable). Tried Wolverine (just to beat Lord Gek and Shinto). :D

Love the analog fittings for pressure display in Wolverine's launch lane. Most modern OpenFeint integration: Little and non-obstructive realtime message panels during gameplay when you made a highscore, an achievement or beat a buddie's highscore. Real-world machines—look at that!

The more I play the more I love 'em. Reason enough for all pinball maniacs to buy a new iPad 2. :)

3. nesio718

nesio718 Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2010
    getting paid....
    Sunny South FL!!
    no0o0o0o0o0. with so many tables on both xbla and psn, how could you guys short change the iOS users?

4. Bad Hanson

Bad Hanson Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Somnambulist
    The Westcountry UK
    Bought both tables. So far like Wolverine the best it's ace. This and Pinball Tristan all the way for my needs. Will buy more tables as they become available- I see they have made room for nine of 'em...roll on!

5. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    Lots of spaces for additional tables in the future.

The game needs some serious optimization for the iPad 2. It's quite fugly.

6. Bealsy

Bealsy Active Member

Feb 4, 2009
    hardly being short changed. It takes them a long time to make each table, and converting them to iOs probably takes a fairly long time as well.

7. nesio718

nesio718 Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2010
    getting paid....
    Sunny South FL!!
    knowing how much quality these guys put into a table, i wont complain much. but im a fan of diversity, so the more the better. having played these tables on psn and xbla, im not sure ill be as anxious as the next guy for an "update" of a table ive already bought and beaten.

heres hoping we see something new......

8. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    From the app description: "New Tables Released Frequently!"

Hard to do that if they release with all tables at launch. ;)

Also, I bet they'll get more IAP buys if they trickle them out. Just think of it as time to really enjoy the tables you've got before new ones arrive. Kinda like when your local convenience store swaps in new games...

9. Habakuk

Wow! There is so much happening when you play a bit longer. Tons of mission-like timed events. Played a shooter/defense mini game in Captain America (top left corner). And an absolute spectacular night mode in Wolverine. The whole table is almost complete dark with a glowing orb! Characters begin to fight acutally!

A real adventure pinball!

10. apester

apester Active Member

Dec 8, 2010
    IT Consultant
    I picked this up for my other tablet (Asus Transformer) and the available in app tables are Wolverine and Fantastic Four, im guessing the FF table will come to the iPad next and that the Captain America table will be available on Android as well. So far its an awesome game though, and considering what I would normally drop on a real table $2 seems pretty reasonable. BTW their pricing structure is $2 for licensed tables and 99 cents for non licensed ones according to their website. They have a new Marvel Pinball game coming as well with Moon Knight, Ghost Rider, Blade, etc...hope they all get ported over.

11. jeffy777

jeffy777 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Right on. These same tables are on 360/PS3, but it sounds like you've never played them before, so you're in for some real treats ;)

It's so nice to finally have these tables on iOS. I can't wait till they bring the rest of the Marvel tables over too.

$2 a table is a steal!

12. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    #52 crunc, Nov 30, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
    Ok, this is pretty darned good. Really tiny on an iPhone, but I'm getting use to it. It's pretty glorious on an iPad. Still, I'm doing pretty well on the iPhone. Was #5 on GC a short time ago (Sorcerer's Lair). My only gripe with this game is why does it use OpenFeint? In particular, why are the in-game friend leaderboards OF based? I really don't get that and I hope they at least give us the option to switch the in-game leaderboards to GameCenter.

Oh, and Sorcerer's Lair is certainly one of the more fun FX tables. I have almost all of them on the 360, and Sorcerer's Lair may be the best. I bought Wolverine, but to tell the truth I haven't been that thrilled with any of the Marvel-based ones.

Lastly, on an iPad 2, played portrait, this game has a better view of the action then on the 360.

13. jeffy777

Oct 31, 2010
    The Wolverine table has been one of my favorites on 360, and it's awesome on iOS as well. I'm glad to see the Captain America table as the other available table because it's one I haven't bought on 360 yet, so it'll be something fresh.

14. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Nevermind. I was searching for Pinball FX, instead of Zen Pinball. LOL.

15. pavarotti2007

pavarotti2007 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    UK
    LMAO :)
    I'll be getting this tonight.

16. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    But he's right. The tables are really tiny on an iPhone. It's not completely unmanageable, but multiball is pretty challenging to deal with at this size. During single-ball play you can have one of the views that scrolls a bit and is a bit zoomed in, but during multiball it zooms out and up (out of necessity) and everything is *really* tiny.

Still, that's not what gets my goat. It's the use of OpenFeint for the in-game leaderboards, which effectively means we (rather, I), lose the fabulous in-game leaderboard chasing that we have on the 360, and that's a big loss. I hope they give us the option to use GC for the in-game leaderboards in a future update. Minus 1 star for that.

17. Habakuk

#57 Habakuk, Nov 30, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
    For iPhone and iPod touch users and beginners I recommend the following: Start with fixed full screen portrait view with no (or almost no) camera movement—just to learn the table and get a feeling for it. Yes I know it's tiny. Make some games and simply try to keep the balls in the playfield. See what happens and get a clue for why it happens. Stop/trap the ball (if it's slow enough) with open flippers. Try to aim for the lit sections.

Later on—for real highscores—switch to landscape orientation and let the camera move (view enlargement) for being more precise. Read the help files. Listen to the voices (very helpful sometimes, implemented well). Read the instructions of the missions and mini games in the display panel.

We did exactly this for years when there was no iPad and had a lot of fun with it.

Edit: BTW iHabakuk worldwide rank #3/Wolverine Best Single Game, accomplished with iPhone 4.

[​IMG]

And #4/Captain America Team Scores. Insert coins here.

On iPad we use the fixed portrait view mostly, see the screenshots in the second posting of this thread. On iPad 1 (orig.) exactly the same performance as iPhone 4 btw. Here you can feel the heartbeat of your CPU/GPU. Perfect smooth and stable on iPad 2.

18. jeffy777

Oct 31, 2010
    Nice job, Habakuk!

19. ShinyT

ShinyT Member

Nov 30, 2011
    It has both OpenFeint and Game Center.

20. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Yes, but only OpenFeint is used for the in-game leaderboards and, more importantly, the in-game messages about you approaching your friend so-and-so's score, which for me is one of the best things about Pinball FX 2 on the Xbox. Since the iOS version uses OpenFeint only for this, and since my friends are all on Game Center, not OpenFeint, I effectively lose this great feature.

The good news is that on their Facebook page they said they would add it to the list of improvements they'll make. If they live to that, that would be awesome.