Universal Zen Pinball - by Zen Studios

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sun Vulcan, Nov 30, 2011.

?

Which of the first three tables do you prefer? (only vote if you've played all three)

1. Sorcerer's Lair

48.0%
  2. Wolverine

23.0%
  3. Captain America

16.4%
  4. Don't like any of them

12.5%
  1. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

Be careful. Everybody here loves Tristan and I was heavily criticized when I said that's too simple. Here we have the pretty other extreme.

They are indeed.

2. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    Wolverine rocks!

I bought the Wolverine table which I am quite familiar with from my PS3 and, suprise to me, this seems to capture everything that the PS3 version has. Color me impressed!

By the way, this is a fantastic table. Is the Captain America table as good?

3. UncleLimey

UncleLimey Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Won't buy extra tables at £1.49 each. 69p each is a more realistic price.. Will wait for a price drop

4. Jaklar

Jaklar Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Back when ya had to put quarters in a machine, $2.00 would of bought you 4 plays.

I suspect if you have any interest in quality pinball, you'll play the Marvel tables slightly more.

5. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

6. Jaklar

Jaklar Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Tristan is more akin to to pinball tables from the late 60s, early 70s. I don't fault it for that, nor for its simplicity, but it's not what I seek in a pinball table. I want a good scoring system, good ball flow, challenges, flipper control, etc. Zen Pinball has all that, and more.

On the other hand, I'm a freak for pinball and, for the past three weeks, have been actively searching for a real pinball machine for my home, preferably High Speed II: Getaway (an old fav of mine).

7. GordLacey

GordLacey Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Own all the tables on the PS3, and I just bought all of them for the iPad. Amazing game.

Has anyone tried getting the tables on two devices with the same account? I assume it won't charge twice, even if one is an iPhone and the other and iPad since it's a universal app.

Look for me on the Leaderboards - BlueFrog

8. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Actually, I think of the LittleWing tables like Tristan as the pinnacle of "computer pinball", the era that came between Pinball Construction Set and Pro Pinball series. The Zen/Pinball games are excellent but have far more in common with the latter.

Tristan is a favorite of mine, but as has already been said, this is an entirely different beast. Both might be pinball in their way, but Canfield and bridge are both card games too.

Looking forward to trying this (need to upgrade to 5.0 first). LOVE pinball FX/Zen on consoles.

9. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    There are a number of reasons why not to update that don't involve pirating, if that's what you were getting at. In my case, I never update to the first versions of a new series of software as it's always prone to bugginess, but in addition to that, I was waiting for an update that would fix Stanza, easily one of my most-used and most-important apps, (it has been fixed) and on top of that, I'm always worried that old games I love will break under the new software--that happens all the time.

The single biggest reason I was waiting though, is because my computer has issues that require a reformatting which I haven't had the time to give it. Most egregious of its shortcomings is its tendency to freeze, which would be a pretty big disaster if it occurred during the update process (which usually takes my device several hours since I have a completely packed 64-gig iPod Touch).

This game and the multiplayer function in Tigris & Euphrates has finally convinced me to take the risk, however, so hopefully all goes well and I'll be playing this by morning. So now I have to study all night without my music...:rolleyes:

Anyway, just to say that there are plenty of legitimate reasons not to update one's iOS right away that don't involve pirating.

10. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Ah I see... This is just one issue that keeps popping up with a lot of unexplained emotions and exclamation marks :eek:
    ----------------------------------------------
    Anyway, back to Zen pinball. Is it just me or is the studio supernaturally gifted in creating exciting (cough) wire ramps? :D

11. krautboy

krautboy Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2011
    I'd personally loved wolverine on ps3,it's a bit more fast paced as captain america,but you really can't go wrong with either table.

Wow,this has everything i wanted pinball to be on my iphone!
    Great controls and landscape mode supported by changing camera view.
    Now hoping for a quick release of spiderman and el dorado!

12. baartlebooth

baartlebooth Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    #32 baartlebooth, Nov 30, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
    Just got the 3 tables and so far I have great time with them BUT :

- I would personally love to see the gameprom's camera technic used (zooming on the action near the ball), The Zen tables got a little too tiny on my ipod touch

- fps is inconsistent, I don't know if it is because of my ipod touch or because the game is not optimized yet

Except for these two issues, especially the first one, I am having a blast with those !

PS : speaking about gameprom, am I the only one to have the War Pinball tables crashing just after launching the app (the game was working flawlessly when I bought it)?

13. Tesep

Tesep Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Very pleased with this game considering I thought the first one was terrible.

Frame rate does drop a little at times on my 4S but it's mainly smooth and the black pop up on the right hand side makes the frame drop even worse. My concern is that if there is a multi ball I would assume there might be quite a bit of slowdown.

Currently downloading the other table but it's really slow

14. Sun Vulcan

Sun Vulcan Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2011
    Same issues here on my iPod touch 4G. However, playing on iPad 2 is perfect.

About War Pinball you need to reinstall the app. It's a iOS 5 bug.

15. UncleLimey

UncleLimey Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2008
    I'm entitled to my opinion

16. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    PHEW just read it requires ios5, was going to buy this but not now

I'm a legitimate user, i've got a 64 gig ipod touch with currently 638 apps installed on it ! If i upgrade to ios5 theres a good chance a lot of my apps will stop working.

The 'big names' should be fine as i've seen many updates the last few weeks with ios5 upgrade messages. But i've bought so many games i dont believe all will work on ios5 and as a lot of them are from small developers and are nearly a year old i dont believe they'll upgrade them.

I've got ios5 on my ipad and to be honest i dont see anything worth upgrading for, i dont use any new ios5 features from what i can see.

But not everyone who doesnt upgrade isnt some dodgy pirate

17. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    #37 slewis7, Nov 30, 2011
    A few questions:

How do you nudge/tilt the table in this game?

I can't find the local score lists anywhere. Why else would they have us enter our initials after a game?

Edit: I found the local scores. You can see it when you select a table to play by scrolling through the selections in the big box in the lower screen half.

18. Tesep

Tesep Member

Nov 11, 2011
    #38 Tesep, Nov 30, 2011
    I tilt by quickly moving the phone up then down (I play in landscape mode)

To view local high scores you have to look at the matrix at least that's the only way I can see them

19. Bealsy

Bealsy Active Member

Feb 4, 2009
    shake for tilt.

Best pinball game on iOs. Perfect on my iPad2

20. wolfhunt

wolfhunt Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Ok, I remember when tables used to be .25 for 1 play or .50 for 3 plays and even a few dime tables :eek:

I've checked out the free table and really enjoy it. I imagine I will pick up other tables in time (got too much backlog right now or I'd just get them now).